Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-21, 08:51 PM  
bfit

Does it seem like active, older people are sort of neglected in the fitness industry?

I've been thinking lately about how many workouts for "older" people are so easy and sort of condescending - like they think all people over 60 are at the very beginner level on everything. Of course, I know that "older" people can do tough workouts if they want to, but sometimes that's just not possible, but those people still want something strenuous. It seems like there's a whole generation of women who grew up being active, and now that we are getting older we are sort of forgotten in the fitness industry. For example, I am taking water aerobics which I enjoy, but it's clearly aimed at people who can't do much. Why couldn't there be an "Aqua Boot Camp" with tough intervals or something for people who want more? Why does yoga in a chair or on a fit ball have to be just sitting and taking deep breaths? Does anyone else feel the same way?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-21, 10:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I do think that in the fitness world, older is often equated with beginner.

I notice a similar "dumbing down" (for lack of better term) in beauty/fashion stuff related to older women as well. For example, just a little while ago I watched a video on makeup tips for women over 50. One of the things was that women should use all cream makeup products b/c of the different texture of their skin. Well, I'm 53 and my skin is still super-oily, so no cream products for me. It also said women over 50 should use NO eyeshadow. Seriously? Now I'm not allowed to play with eye makeup either?

I wish that our culture would work harder to see the nuances in people and stop trying to put everything into simplistic categories.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-21, 10:07 PM  
rhbrand

YES! YES to both.
Seems like you are either in the "beginner walking class" or the "aqua aerobics class" if you are over 60 and want to do a fitness class.
Old 05-22-21, 10:23 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Yes! It’s ageism IMO. I hate being put into a “category” because I’m over 60.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 07:42 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Where do they think all the people went who did tough high impact aerobics? Step classes and aerobics with weights were not easy either. It drives me nuts that almost always seniors = beginners. Sure some seniors are new and might need balance and mobility but did we lifetime exercisers disappear from the planet for a few decades?
I did find one council run gym that held classes for seniors at a great level while providing options for modifications. There were also 15 minute one on one sessions with the trainers for advanced seniors to take it up a notch several times a week. I loved it there and enjoyed the social aspect as well. I moved away and am now irritated that with this local council I need a letter from my doctor giving me permission to attend classes there. I know way more than my doctor on fitness, lovely as she is. The questionnaire at this gym is so intrusive on my privacy I refuse to fill it in. I am treated like a child who needs permission to attend beginner classes. Same with the Aqua in the centre too. It’s all about potential law suits if a senior hurts themselves I think.
If I need outside classes I think I will try a CrossFit or Kettlebell gym, I see some mixed ages coming and going there.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 08:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Seagreen01 wow the attitudes of your new gym are insulting! I think you should join a Crossfit or KB gym and be an inspiration to the younger members.

Bfit I've previewed some YouTube videos labeled as over 50 or over 60. Some look really good for my current level, and others recommend lifting soup cans when you've built up strength. I think those are good for a person who got orders from their doctor to get some exercise, but soup cans aren't going to do it for me.

On the other hand, the flurry of AARP material that we thumb through in the bathroom feature these robust elders who can still fit into their prom gowns and tuxes, full heads of hair, trail running and kayaking and hiking in Colorado. I think they've been "reverse air-brushed," LOL - barely a wrinkle in sight either. Maybe I should have joined AARP when I was 40 instead of waiting for the gag Christmas gift my DH gave me. All that advice might have preserved me.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 08:42 AM  
Gams

I will be 63 in July and I guess I’m in the minority here because this doesn’t bother me. Knowing the senior classes are going to be slower and more beginner, I just don’t use them. I workout out at home using DVDs almost exclusively and use Kelly Coffey Meyer workouts for strength and a variety of instructors for cardio. I WOULD be bothered if I was told I wasn’t allowed to take a class because I was too old. I’m sure there are many seniors who need the beginner, easier classes. I would just pick the class that’s suitable for me regardless of what it’s called.

I also think they have to generalize just to hit the largest number of people that fit that category. I’m always reading reviews on QVC where people complain, “These pants are way too long! I’m 5’ tall and ordered a 3X and they are dragging on the floor!” They don’t consider that most people who order a 3X are not going to be that short and they have to manufacture the clothes for the majority.

Last edited by Gams; 05-23-21 at 08:51 AM. Reason: To add info
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 08:57 AM  
Leonana

I’ve really enjoyed Fitness with PJ. She has been a trainer for years, and is now in her 50’s. Her workouts are for women over 40, but they are challenging. She had her own gym which went out of business due to the pandemic. So she moved to you tube.

I think you tube has challenging senior workouts. They aren’t the majority, but there is a niche.
Old 05-23-21, 09:16 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gams, good point about classes needing to generalize to the majority. I do worry though that we are creating a perception that the majority of "older" people (often defined as over 50!) need slower routines. Kids classes are often broken down into little kids, tweens, teens, etc., so maybe we need that for older people too.

seagreen, I loved your comment about where do they think all the people went?

Pat, agreed. I enjoy some over 50/over 60 videos, but instead of suggesting soup cans, I wish they would take a more similar approach to other videos (ie, "if you are new to working out, try no weights or soup cans; if you are experienced, go heavier!").

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 10:28 AM  
Gams

Toaster, when I was teaching dance, I had a six year old boy who was much more advanced than the other children his age, but I wasn’t sure if he’d be comfortable with the 12-year olds. I invited him to try the class and see what he thought. He showed up and looked in the room with disgust and said, “There’s nothing but girls in there!!!” (Not to mention they were all twice as tall as he was.). It’s hard to make group classes of any kind that will work for everybody.

I also had a 6-year old student that wore a larger size clothing than I did and when it came time to order costumes, I couldn’t find a costume that was offered in adult and children sizes. I ended up ordering one costume for the other children and a different adult costume for her in the same color scheme. I was worried about what she might think but she was thrilled and thought she was the belle of the ball. (It WAS a pretty costume.)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageism, aging, senior exercise, senior workout, senior workouts, seniors