Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-21, 07:34 PM  
wendug

Leave it to me to injure myself while...

...gardening! I pulled a muscle in my side after working in the yard on Sunday. I was mowing and planting and spent quite a bit of time gardening on Sunday. I didn't notice anything off on Sunday, but when I woke up Monday morning I could definitely feel I strained something on my side. I'm doing better, but I'm hesitant to work out because I can't really avoid using my core. If you have a lower body injury you can work on upper body and vice versa, but when your core is sore you're out of luck. I haven't done a workout since Saturday and I'm feeling a bit lazy, but I also know it is best to not push it, either. I'm just frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 05-19-21, 07:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Wendy..I'm sorry!!

I don't know if it makes you feel any better but I injured my knee doing gardening. Was out there for hours and then it just went pop!

Took forever to get my strength back.
And yeah, have had to add all sorts of strengthening exercises, precautions.

When you're healthy again, I suggest you treat gardening like a workout. Honestly, gardening really is. That's what I do...take breaks, do some mobility and stretching in between, etc.

In the meantime, hang in there.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 08:19 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Wendy..I'm sorry!!

I don't know if it makes you feel any better but I injured my knee doing gardening. Was out there for hours and then it just went pop!

Took forever to get my strength back.
And yeah, have had to add all sorts of strengthening exercises, precautions.

When you're healthy again, I suggest you treat gardening like a workout. Honestly, gardening really is. That's what I do...take breaks, do some mobility and stretching in between, etc.

In the meantime, hang in there.
Thanks for the kind words, Linda! I was trying to get too much done with gardening and my body is yelling at me for it. I had bought a bunch of plants and wanted to get them in the ground before the rain. And I had to mow the yard, too. So I spent about 3 1/2 hours working outside. I would never work out that long but for some reason I thought I could work in the yard no problem. Now I know better! Smart idea to take stretching breaks...that probably would have helped me immensely!
Old 05-19-21, 09:05 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Sending healing vibes your way, I hope you feel better soon.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 06:42 AM  
BunnyHop

Ouch! I hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 05-20-21, 07:05 AM  
alisoncooks

I always over-do it with yard work! And you're right: I'd never exercise for 3+ hours, either, but I do have a few times a year where I spend (at least) that long working all-out in the yard on some project! And feel it the next day, lol!

This week I'm shifting a (literal) ton of river stones from a heaping pile in my yard to my flower bed. They're so lovely (fist sized and smooth) but it is heavy, heavy work -- I'm being super mindful of my lifting technique and my back!!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 07:13 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Linda! I was trying to get too much done with gardening and my body is yelling at me for it. I had bought a bunch of plants and wanted to get them in the ground before the rain. And I had to mow the yard, too. So I spent about 3 1/2 hours working outside. I would never work out that long but for some reason I thought I could work in the yard no problem. Now I know better! Smart idea to take stretching breaks...that probably would have helped me immensely!
Yikes, 3 and half hours at once is a no no for me without breaks. Last year, I walked away from gardening purchases solely based on whether I could do it in one session or whether I could space things out. It stinks and was a hard pill to swallow. I'm a ' get it done already' person but have had modify that as I have gotten more seasoned, shall we say? I have to make my husband stop, too, or he will hurt himself.

Did you take pictures of your hard work? I love before and after pics! But the long term joy of gardening is the sit back and gaze moments

Recovery can also be a good time to organize your workout collection and preview untried workouts

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 08:02 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I did the same thing gardening this past weekend! I tore my meniscus in February and haven't done anything other than walking for months. My knee felt fine so I figured that I'd be fine if I planted tomatoes. That was all I it took to reinjure it! I've been icing it since Sunday but it's still sore so I haven't even been able to do my wimpy little 30 minute daily walk. I blame my tanking hormones and the fact that I can't recover from anything anymore. Getting old is hell!
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 08:18 AM  
sherry7899

Wendy, I hope you are feeling better. Brian May from Queen injured himself gardening last year.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 08:59 AM  
wendug

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm just a bit angry with myself for trying to do too much at one go!
Lori- Yes, getting old is hell! I hope your knee heals up soon!
Linda- I don't have any pics as I planted a lot of annuals and they need time to grow and flower. So in a few months it will be more picture worthy! And I hope all my tomato plants give me a hearty output!
alisoncooks-Yes, be careful moving rock...that's really hard work!
Sherry - It is comforting to know that others have suffered the same fate from gardening. You don't think you are over-exerting yourself, but really you're moving your body in a way you normally don't move in everyday life.

Tags
gardening, injuries