Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-21, 09:19 AM  
SandyT

Freestyle Step Risers vs Old Slant Risers

I have never owned slant risers. Whenever I need to slant the step I just take risers off of one end. But this makes it feel so unsteady even though I am just laying down on it. My question is, if I invest in slant risers should I go for the Freestyle (that have the groove in the middle) or the older slant risers?
Would one allow for more variability in slant degree than the other? Any advice is welcomed
Thanks!
Sandy
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 02:18 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

So I did some experimenting since I have 2 steps, 10+ regular risers, 2 freestyle risers, and 2 slanted risers. Keep in mind that my measuring skills suck so I could be off by up to 1/2 inch in any of measurements.

For reference

*1 freestyle riser can be used interchangeably with a regular club step riser.

*However, when you use the freestyle riser for an incline bench for weight lifting, it will extend out the length of the entire step floor print by approx 8.75", so if you have a very tight workout space, keep this in mind.

*The only way to utilize the slanted risers that I'm aware of (other than for inclines), is to stack the 2 the two slanted risers together and then they = 3 regular risers (like if you wanted to use them in place of 3 risers under a square high step).

More reference:

In Cathe's Gym Styles Chest & Triceps, she starts with a base of 3 regular risers on either side. Then, for the incline moves, she does the somewhat unstable base of just removing 2 risers from one side to make an incline.

*So 3 reg risers one side + 1 reg riser on the other = 11.5" H on the highest point of incline.

To get this same incline (but far more stable) you can use:

*1 reg riser & 1 slanted riser on one side + 1 reg riser on the other.

OR

*2 reg risers & 1 freestyle riser on one side + 1 reg riser on the other.

I checked a few of Cathe's STS Meso 1 discs and in the ones I checked she uses:

*5 reg risers & 1 slanted + 1 reg riser & one slanted (the slanted 1 this end is flipped the other way) = 18.5" H on the higher end but slightly less of an incline because she has that flipped 2nd slanted riser on the lower end added (but this does make the base more stable).

Back to my experimenting though

Here are the most risers (and corresponding incline heights) I felt stable with using the slanted riser:

4 reg risers & 1 slanted + 1 reg riser = 17" on higher end
5 reg risers & 1 slanted + 1 reg riser = 18.5" on higher end*

*I feel like 5 risers & 1 slanted on one end is starting to get a wee bit unstable but nowhere near as unstable as during Cathe's Gym Styles Chest when she uses only regular risers to create an incline. To avoid this wee bit of instability, you can use the 2nd slanted riser on the lower end on top of the 1 reg riser like in Cathe's STS Meso 1 inclines, but the incline will be slightly less steep I think because of this, though definitely solid as a rock as far as stability.

Here are the most risers (and corresponding incline heights) I felt stable with using the freestyle riser:

5 reg risers & 1 freestyle + 1 reg riser = 16" on higher end
6 reg risers & 1 freestyle + 1 reg riser = 18" on higher end

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 02:27 PM  
SandyT

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do all that measuring!!!

It seems like on most of these combinations you only used one slant/freesytle riser. If I am just wanting to use the step as an inclined bench, do you see any reason to purchase 2 slant risers? (They are mostly sold in pairs so it made me wonder.) I have lots of regular risers so I wouldn't need them for that.

Also, does the step feel equally sturdy with both types of risers when set at a moderate incline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
So I did some experimenting since I have 2 steps, 10+ regular risers, 2 freestyle risers, and 2 slanted risers. Keep in mind that my measuring skills suck so I could be off by up to 1/2 inch in any of measurements.

For reference

*1 freestyle riser can be used interchangeably with a regular club step riser.

*However, when you use the freestyle riser for an incline bench for weight lifting, it will extend out the length of the entire step floor print by approx 8.75", so if you have a very tight workout space, keep this in mind.

*The only way to utilize the slanted risers that I'm aware of (other than for inclines), is to stack the 2 the two slanted risers together and then they = 3 regular risers (like if you wanted to use them in place of 3 risers under a square high step).

More reference:

In Cathe's Gym Styles Chest & Triceps, she starts with a base of 3 regular risers on either side. Then, for the incline moves, she does the somewhat unstable base of just removing 2 risers from one side to make an incline.

*So 3 reg risers one side + 1 reg riser on the other = 11.5" H on the highest point of incline.

To get this same incline (but far more stable) you can use:

*1 reg riser & 1 slanted riser on one side + 1 reg riser on the other.

OR

*2 reg risers & 1 freestyle riser on one side + 1 reg riser on the other.

I checked a few of Cathe's STS Meso 1 discs and in the ones I checked she uses:

*5 reg risers & 1 slanted + 1 reg riser & one slanted (the slanted 1 this end is flipped the other way) = 18.5" H on the higher end but slightly less of an incline because she has that flipped 2nd slanted riser on the lower end added (but this does make the base more stable).

Back to my experimenting though

Here are the most risers (and corresponding incline heights) I felt stable with using the slanted riser:

4 reg risers & 1 slanted + 1 reg riser = 17" on higher end
5 reg risers & 1 slanted + 1 reg riser = 18.5" on higher end*

*I feel like 5 risers & 1 slanted on one end is starting to get a wee bit unstable but nowhere near as unstable as during Cathe's Gym Styles Chest when she uses only regular risers to create an incline. To avoid this wee bit of instability, you can use the 2nd slanted riser on the lower end on top of the 1 reg riser like in Cathe's STS Meso 1 inclines, but the incline will be slightly less steep I think because of this, though definitely solid as a rock as far as stability.

Here are the most risers (and corresponding incline heights) I felt stable with using the freestyle riser:

5 reg risers & 1 freestyle + 1 reg riser = 16" on higher end
6 reg risers & 1 freestyle + 1 reg riser = 18" on higher end

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-04-21, 02:49 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyT View Post
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do all that measuring!!!

It seems like on most of these combinations you only used one slant/freesytle riser. If I am just wanting to use the step as an inclined bench, do you see any reason to purchase 2 slant risers? (They are mostly sold in pairs so it made me wonder.) I have lots of regular risers so I wouldn't need them for that.

Also, does the step feel equally sturdy with both types of risers when set at a moderate incline?
Step feels equally sturdy IMO at moderate inclines with either the slanted riser or freestyle. Depends though I guess on what you mean by moderate? Definitely at the incline Cathe uses in Gym Styles Chest they feel exactly the same--stable.

Personally, I like the freestyle ones better in some ways because they're just like a regular riser (feel less clunky). But, now that I'm looking at Cathe's STS again for this riser experiment (I only ever made it past the first one or two STS discs before, long ago), I'm kind of glad I have the TWO slanted risers because of the ability to flip the 2nd one and put it on the lower side for a more stable base at steeper inclines (not to mention the whole liking to match Cathe & crew thing w/equipment).

The only other reason to get a pair of slanted risers I guess would be if you wanted to do ramping workouts? (You can do those with 2 freestyle risers as well.) I don't do ramping workouts though.

I got both types of risers for a bargain so I regret neither purchase. I got the pair of slanted risers for $24 (including shipping!!!) from wayfair in 2013 on a closeout sale that someone on VF posted about. And I got a freestyle step (that comes w/2 freestyle risers) when the price dropped to $58 (including shipping!!!) before the pandemic started. If you're shopping on amazon, you can use the site camelcamelcamel.com to see the pricing trends on items you're interested in and put out an alert to email you if the price drops below a certain amount.
Old 05-04-21, 02:53 PM  
SandyT

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know
Off to camelcamelcamel!

Quote:
Step feels equally sturdy IMO at moderate inclines with either the slanted riser or freestyle. Depends though I guess on what you mean by moderate? Definitely at the incline Cathe uses in Gym Styles Chest they feel exactly the same--stable.

Personally, I like the freestyle ones better in some ways because they're just like a regular riser (feel less clunky). But, now that I'm looking at Cathe's STS again for this riser experiment (I only ever made it past the first one or two STS discs before, long ago), I'm kind of glad I have the TWO slanted risers because of the ability to flip the 2nd one and put it on the lower side for a more stable base at steeper inclines (not to mention the whole liking to match Cathe & crew thing w/equipment).

The only other reason to get a pair of slanted risers I guess would be if you wanted to do ramping workouts? (You can do those with 2 freestyle risers as well.) I don't do ramping workouts though.

I got both types of risers for a bargain so I regret neither purchase. I got the pair of slanted risers for $24 (including shipping!!!) from wayfair in 2013 on a closeout sale that someone on VF posted about. And I got a freestyle step (that comes w/2 freestyle risers) when the price dropped to $58 (including shipping!!!) before the pandemic started. If you're shopping on amazon, you can use the site camelcamelcamel.com to see the pricing trends on items you're interested in and put out an alert to email you if the price drops below a certain amount.
Old 05-04-21, 02:58 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Oops, one thing I just tested and DOES make a difference...

If you are NOT going to put one riser on the lower end of your incline bench setup, using the Freestyle riser is MORE STABLE than the slanted riser because the freestyle riser doesn't let the bench slide back.

However, if you're using one regular riser on the lower end of your bench, whether the higher end uses a freestyle or slanted riser makes no noticeable difference in stability at moderate inclines.

Also, all of my experiments were done on regular carpeting.
Old 05-04-21, 03:06 PM  
SandyT

Got it

Quote:
Oops, one thing I just tested and DOES make a difference...

If you are NOT going to put one riser on the lower end of your incline bench setup, using the Freestyle riser is MORE STABLE than the slanted riser because the freestyle riser doesn't let the bench slide back.

However, if you're using one regular riser on the lower end of your bench, whether the higher end uses a freestyle or slanted riser makes no noticeable difference in stability at moderate inclines.

Also, all of my experiments were done on regular carpeting.
Old 09-19-23, 04:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

**old thread alert**

Which "brick & mortar" stores sell either the Freestyle risers or Slanted risers that fit the full-sized Step Co. Step bench, if at all?

Thanks in advance.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 08:55 PM  
star117

I'm not sure they do. Maybe dickssportinggoods.com has a set but I didn't find them in a store. Only online and shipping was too high. I don't think they make the slanted ones anymore
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 09:56 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I thought they didn't make slanted risers either anymore but when browsing amazon recently looking at step stuff, this pair of slanted risers came up:

https://www.amazon.com/Slanted-Step-...dp/B00KWFC5J2/

Note sure if they're the same as the SPRI or whatever brand that used to make slanted risers or what kind of quality they are.

FWIW, I got my slanted risers for $24 (shipping included) on a wayfair closeout deal back in 2013 that someone posted about on VF and I got to in time before they ran out.

My only other two fitness equipment scores:

$79 (shipping included) for Cathe's original turbo tower from amazon in 2011. I think Altus went out of business and they were closing them out.

$58 (shipping included) for the freestyle step in 2020 (I had a price alert out for it on camelcamelcamel for 14 months so I had to wait over a year, but I already have a full size regular step so I didn't mind waiting for the price to hit a low.)

Other than Cathe's discounts and the three amazing deals above, I never seem luck out with good deals and end up paying full price for all my workout equipment.

Tags
freestyle step, slanted risers, step risers, the step, universal step riser