Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-21, 02:02 PM  
Izzy

I agree with all the above but mostly what Cleda said about "enjoying" the workout. No matter how good anything might be for you, if you dread it or do not enjoy it, in the long run, it's not going to work for you.
Old 05-04-21, 11:23 AM  
Scorpio6

Thanks to all who responded. Too bad nobody had any info regarding my question. Here's my input:

1) I have low thyroid and have NEVER lost weight with diet, any diet. The only thing that knocks it off is the exercise. My diet is perfect, my exercise is not. So the old platitude that weight loss begins in the kitchen does not hold true for me.
2) There is a difference between exercise you LIKE to do, and exercise that is EFFECTIVE, especially for your needs. I am looking for effective exercise for weight loss as well as strength. I am looking for results, and when I see those, that will be the motivator. So the old platitude that whatever exercise you like to do is what you should do, does not hold true for me.

I know it's a contrarian position, but there it is.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 11:29 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I can't say I have personally seen weight loss results with any specific exercise routine but I have read posts here in old threads and on KCM's site about people having weight loss results from KCM's workouts. It does make sense to me. She has many circuit type workouts which I personally think are effective for burning calories. And her weight work has a cardio effect for me.

I think it was last summer when KCM released 2 new workouts, Box Fit and Super Sculpt. KCM look noticeably leaner to me and I think I read on FB (?) where she said she had been doing those 2 workouts a lot and that's why was leaner. So there may be something to that for you.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 11:59 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. Too bad nobody had any info regarding my question. Here's my input:

1) I have low thyroid and have NEVER lost weight with diet, any diet. The only thing that knocks it off is the exercise. My diet is perfect, my exercise is not. So the old platitude that weight loss begins in the kitchen does not hold true for me.
2) There is a difference between exercise you LIKE to do, and exercise that is EFFECTIVE, especially for your needs. I am looking for effective exercise for weight loss as well as strength. I am looking for results, and when I see those, that will be the motivator. So the old platitude that whatever exercise you like to do is what you should do, does not hold true for me.

I know it's a contrarian position, but there it is.
When I have seen results with a specific plan or workout, it has been because either

1) I am going from not doing anything for a while, like recovering from an injury, or after a pregnancy. In which case, I can say specific workout plans worked for me, but it probably could have been a lot of different things that worked and that is just the one I picked that time.

2) I am challenging myself with something I haven’t been doing prior to that, even when I was already in decent shape. Either an increase in cardio intensity or frequency, heavier weights, increasing non-exercise activity through the day (NEAT), adding a particular exercise regularly to add muscle in a certain area, something that changed what I did before or brought a new focus to my exercise.

So I would say that what would work for you, if you want to stick to KCM in particular, might depend on what you are doing now. Does she have rotations you could follow? I like her step cardio when I feel the need to add lower-to-moderate intensity cardio. But you might need something else.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 12:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Too bad nobody had any info regarding my question.
sorry - i still recommend the ones in my response - the ones with weights. they have the cardio effect and muscle building, two birds with one stone. combo of weights and cardio is what works for me.

• Sculpting Rx
  • Muscle Definition
  • Build & Burn*
*i just remembered this one - it's a newer workout and has a lot of options.

in the past, what has worked for you?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 09:59 AM  
psupam

I too have low thyroid and weight loss is a struggle. I need to do longer workouts of at least moderate intensity: FIRM workouts (pre-Pinks), long step workouts (45-60 minutes), 45 minutes on my elliptical, long walks. Good Luck. Right now I am doing some Jessica Smith workouts, which are very well thought out, but I still need my longer workouts.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-22, 10:38 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Muscle UP is my favorite KCM. After a year of Firm's my strength and muscle gains slowed. Switched to KCM and gaining muscle again. In late 50's it is slow. In the past, I just used all my KCM videos in a rotation but this time I am selecting just 2-3, with all the premixes that is plenty and I learn the workouts better. Current rotation is KCM Weights and KCM Splits. Really love the Split legs section because it is different and interesting.
IMO Muscle Up is KCM's best for adding muscle and I like the pace. Wish she would do a Muscle Up 2!
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-22, 12:36 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I also love Muscle Up. It's very much a favorite. The only thing is that she does not rest between sets, and I find that I have to.

One thing about food intake. It's important to eat enough to support weight lifting. I think I got sick in November because I was restricting food too much.
You can't build muscle without fuel. The same goes for cardio because it uses energy too.

I know it's a tough balance. I'm still working on it myself.

I did lose weight when I was doing heavy (for me) legs one day, upper body another day, and Pilates abs on another day. In between I did hiit workouts on a stationary bike. I definitely lost inches, but as I said I didn't eat enough to support all that, and got sick.

Tags
blood pressure, high blood pressure, kcm, kcm super sculpt, results, weight loss