Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-21, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I laughed when I read this comment on another thread... but there is so much truth in what was said. And it got me thinking about the "why" behind the lack of posts. So I thought it would be good to explore the "why".
I'm not sure why. I have theories and guesses, but who knows for sure. I have been in contact with a very long time VFer who just stopped posting after decades of regular posts. She is very busy with life. Folks get busy or ill. I know of a few VFers who had serious injuries and had to really curtail workouts. They felt sad coming to VF and reading about workouts they couldn't do anymore.

The VF age dynamic is older. Maybe younger folks don't care to read about menopause or bone loss issues? Most VFers aren't trying to look like the Kardashians. We don't hang on every word of assorted YouTube/Instagram/Twitter influencers.

There are more reasons, I'm sure.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 12:14 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Oh, another thing. The strict, almost toxic political correctness in recent years can be rather stifling. It's easier to just not post rather then to cause offense. I have received many PMs over the years where folks tell me what they think, but would dare not post.

I look at some of the older, hilarious threads and know that they would not be acceptable now. (They still crack me up.)

One is almost guaranteed to offend someone, somehow.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 12:39 PM  
TinaT

Vintage Vfer ~I agree with your perspective for sure. The age dynamic here is much older. I'm fighting to find workouts that work for me. I don't want sit and wither away. Yet, I refuse to give up what's on my shelves for fear of not having access to them some day. With a push of a button, all things on the internet could be gone.

Political correctness has many folks taking a pause in many areas of their lives. I agree, there are some sickin funny stuff that has been posted here through the years that now would be deemed not appropriate for some. I choose laughter over having a critical spirit for sure.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 01:00 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

I’ve been posting recently because of my renewed enthusiasm (near giddiness) for working out but I think anything I have to say has probably already been said on VF a hundred times before. How many people really want to gush with me about a 20-year-old Firm tape? I mean, you’re more than welcome to of course! But I can totally understand how my posts are pretty much old news.

Just to add, I’m so grateful for the vast archive of old threads here because I’ve been able to glean so much information and kind of experience vicariously the excitement that VFers felt when the workouts I’m doing now were actually released.
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 01:13 PM  
TinaT

Sarah O. ~I'm always good for a chat about the FIRM. Mainly Benson era FIRMS. They were before their time and full of amazing ideas that you will now find in other instructors workouts.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 02:10 PM  
kat999

I think I've actually been posting here MORE in the past year due to wanting a break from Facebook and Twitter and youth-oriented topics as well as polarizing political topics. I leaned hard into health and fitness during the pandemic because it felt like something I could focus on while WFH and not being able to go to yoga classes or hanging out with friends and family. Also at 45 with something of an even older mindset than my years (due to having older parents), I enjoy the discussions of older pop culture icons as well as seeing how people deal with aging that I'm starting to experience (perimenopause, injury, etc.).

But yes, people are working out differently and don't even think about buying VHS or DVDs, everything is streaming either for subscription prices or free, and even though I subscribe to FitFusion and do some YouTube workouts, I do prefer physical media for its simplicity and cost effectiveness. Without much in the way of new releases, it feels somewhat redundant to discuss the same FIRM video 26 times.

I did have fun last fall doing a Jane Fonda review thread, getting vintage videos I didn't already have and discussing them. Honestly, I do always have fun here and appreciate all the great advice I've gotten (and try to give).
Old 04-23-21, 03:31 PM  
BunnyHop

Some of it has to be that people have simply moved on from forums like this one. Social media can be all consuming, and it's easy to forget how enjoyable the slower pace of a forum like this can be.

I'm not involved in most of that stuff because I just couldn't be bothered to dream up yet another username, but it does seem as though a lot of people look there for interaction.

A lack of cat videos here is probably also a factor.
Old 04-23-21, 03:32 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Oh, another thing. The strict, almost toxic political correctness in recent years can be rather stifling. It's easier to just not post rather then to cause offense. I have received many PMs over the years where folks tell me what they think, but would dare not post.

I look at some of the older, hilarious threads and know that they would not be acceptable now. (They still crack me up.)

I disagree. The only people who have to worry about political correctness are people who are racist, sexist, or bigots (whether they realize it or not). People who are none of those things don’t worry because they do not have those kind of thoughts that would be considered worrisome or offensive.

On another note, I am guessing the lack of posts is because the younger generations tend not to buy DVDs- just like they don’t buy albums. They stream and download. It is what it is.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 03:42 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

This is me. I am not racist sexist or anything else but I take it to heart when my post is misunderstood or offends someone. I feel really bad. For this reason I am not on social media either. I don’t post much for this reason alone. I guess I am super sensitive. I can handle people not agreeing with me but if I feel attacked, I retreat and stop posting.
Old 04-23-21, 03:44 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
I disagree. The only people who have to worry about political correctness are people who are racist, sexist, or bigots (whether they realize it or not). People who are none of those things don’t worry because they do not have those kind of thoughts that would be considered worrisome or offensive.

On another note, I am guessing the lack of posts is because the younger generations tend not to buy DVDs- just like they don’t buy albums. They stream and download. It is what it is.
My 21 year old son and his girlfriend are going to a record store tonight and will likely buy vinyl. A friend of ours works there and reports that kids, teenagers and young adults are buying vinyl. He does the pricing and makes sure to put a lot in the dollar bins so they can afford it

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum issues, new members, vf activity, vf site issues