Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-20, 07:39 AM  
pharma_gal

A good program to follow for weight loss

This year has been pretty awful and I have gained 15 pounds partly due to the stress of everything from home schooling to COVID to going through a divorce and moving etc etc. but also doctor put me on an anti depressant for a few months to cope with it all. And I have been very inconsistent with working out and nutrition. I was shocked when I got on the scale yesterday after a few months.

I am looking for an intermediate program to follow because I do well with systems/rotations. I love Cathe but right now her workouts sound a bit intimidating for me. Any recommendations? I am going to work on the nutrition part but I would love to follow a program which had both strength and cardio components.

Thanks!!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 07:55 AM  
donnamp

Hi Pharma-Gal,

I'm sorry about the stress. 2019 and 2020 were pretty stressful years for me as well. 2019 I lost weight from the stress and 2020 has been a gain - mostly due to snacking and less movement due to working from home. Starting in the new year I'm going to have to rein that in....

For workouts for weight loss - I highly recommend Pahla B on You Tube. She has a 31 day Weight Loss Program - and she is doing in a new one in January. You will probably feel that you are not doing enough b/c we have been conditioned to believe that we have to workout long and hard to lose weight, but as Pahla explains in this series, a big factor in weight gain is stress - our bodies response to stress is to store fat. Although she gears her workouts towards "women of a certain age" I think that they would be appropriate for anyone. What she says does make sense for anyone, and for "women of a certain age" - going through peri and meno affects our estrogen levels which is the hormone that clears stress. Bottom line is - stress can cause weight gain and exercise, particularly intense exercise can be perceived by the body as stress. So, while these workouts seem like they are not "enough" they may be just the ticket to getting the weight loss started and then, depending on how you feel, you can move on to another program.

If Pahla isn't your cup of tea - and she does talk a lot - but I have found that I actually miss her when I skip a few days of working out w/ her - I suggest any of Jessica Smith's programs. They are always well varied -w/ strength, cardio, intervals, fusion, stretching, etc.

She has several rotations here that use both You Tube and her DVD workouts, or, if you own any of her systems they would work great too.

https://jessicasmithtv.com/workout-rotations/

Her Calm & Strong rotation would probably be particularly good for stress relief.

Good luck and let's hope for a better year in 2021!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 08:39 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Ditto Donna's suggestions! I've done Pahla B's Weight Loss series and it is good - I'm thrilled to hear that she is doing a new series this January! Workouts were short, but I still felt like I'd done something when I finished. After receiving a Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis early this summer (and after packing on some quarantine/stress weight), I changed my diet and did Pahla's series. To date, I've lost 24 pounds and improved my bloodwork dramatically. I'm still losing weight - no easy thing for a 64 year old 5'3" woman who most people would not have thought was overweight.

I am convinced it was the diet change, but I think Pahla's philosophy of not overdoing my exercise and eating a consistent number of calories each day played an important and encouraging role.

I also like Donna's suggestion of Jessica Smith's Calm and Strong rotation. I loved that rotation.

The other thing that helped me was getting on the scale every single day. I hadn't gotten on a scale in years and the weight had crept on. I bought a Shapa scale and I love it! It uses a color scale (Blue for losing weight all the way to Dark Gray for gaining) and averages your last ten weigh ins. Knowing that I'm not going to see a huge fluctuation in weight like we women can have from day to day helps me to get on the scale every day - 200 days straight as of this morning.

Hope this helps! You can do it! If I can, anyone can.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 09:04 AM  
donnamp

For the new year, I'm considering following Pahla's new Weight Loss program along w/ Adriene's 30 days of Yoga.....we shall see!

Yes, a good point, Carol, about daily weigh ins. I think a big factor in pandemic weight gain is wearing sweats and loose clothing all day - it is only when i go to put on my "hard pants" that I notice I have gained some weight and/or spread out somewhere (basically my thighs an butt)!

Pahla does also mention the importance of consistency in diet - eating the same number of calories every day -as a means of combating what your body would perceive as stress. As she explains it, your body likes to know what to expect, so if you give it consistency, it will, in theory, stop freaking out and release weight.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 09:23 AM  
laurajhawk

I haven't tried Pahla but would definitely recommend Jessica Smith's Walk Strong rotations. You can use YouTube or DVDs or both. https://jessicasmithtv.com/workout-rotations/

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 09:38 AM  
fanofladyvols

Check out the rotations forum here, too. You'll see Jessica's rotations (including a thread with her calm and strong rotation), a FIRM balanced mix rotation, a Margaret Richard plus others.

Also if you own any Gilad, sounds like he would fit the bill for you as well.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 11:28 AM  
kat999

Weigh every day, at the same time every day, and under the same conditions. There will still be fluctuations, but you'll get a more accurate 7-day average.

Honestly, pure steady-state cardio that isn't too crazy is what helps me drop weight quickly (in addition to nutrition adjustments). If you find a few videos that are pretty easy and you do them consistently, consider then muting them and doing your own music, audiobooks, or podcasts. That way you can alleviate the boredom of the same chatter, even if you're doing a small rotation with few variation.
Old 12-08-20, 11:38 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I haven't tried Pahla but would definitely recommend Jessica Smith's Walk Strong rotations. You can use YouTube or DVDs or both. https://jessicasmithtv.com/workout-rotations/
Yes! That would be my suggestion.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 06:46 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Honestly, pure steady-state cardio that isn't too crazy is what helps me drop weight quickly (in addition to nutrition adjustments). ......
This works really well for me too.
Old 12-08-20, 07:15 PM  
fanofladyvols

pharma_galI just wanted to add that I'm sorry about all your stress but it sounds like you're finding a way to navigate it.

Hang in there!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss