Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-20, 09:39 AM  
DJ-H
VF Supporter

Free weights - older exercisers ?

Greetings!

I'm back to video exercising after quite a number of years "letting myself go". I'm 71 years old and striving to get back into shape for the activities I love ... water skiing, snow skiing, tennis, bike riding ... I'm also recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so am trying to regain my strength in that arm.

My question for older exercises, like me, is what weights do use, so I have some idea of what my goals might be. I have dumbbell weights of 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and 10 lbs. bud could and would get other weights as necessary.

Exercises:
  • bicep curls
  • front raises
  • lateral raises
  • tricep kickbacks
  • one-arm dumbbell rows
  • overhead shoulder press

I appreciate your input!

"Even though you can't turn back the clock, you can wind it up again." Joan MacDonald
DJ-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 11:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

just wanted to say Hi DJ!

i am in my 50s - my heaviest DB is 15# and i use 24# body bars.

resistance bands are also a great tool - i have them in different strengths and styles (Lifeline tubing and those flat pilates-style bands).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 12:19 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I'm 73, doing LIIFT4 (a beachbody on demand program). Years ago, 10 lb were my heaviest. Now I use dumbbell pairs of 12, 15, and 17.5; I have 20's that are waiting for more strength. I do use resistance tubing for most shoulder work.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 01:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm almost 65. This article by Nia Shanks is very helpful:

The Strength Training Guide for Women Over 40

https://niashanks.com/strength-training-women-over-40/

I'd say to start well below what you think you are capable of and slowly work up. Don't risk injury in a bid to get back in shape quickly. At our age, injuries are such a bigger deal! And, have fun!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 01:40 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I'd say to start well below what you think you are capable of and slowly work up.
I couldn't agree with this more! I started a rotation of Jari Love this summer, and I started using weenie, teeny, pitiful weight sizes, only moving up to the next size up in a light, medium, and heavy pair after using the previous set for about 14 sessions. After two months, I am finally seeing some real strength gains and muscle definition, and I chalk that up to going verrrrrry slowly and verrrrrry light in the beginning. I'm also not afraid to modify as needed (e.g., on shoulder work, which is my weak spot, I will frequently do some sets as alternating only one arm at a time, even if she's demonstrating it as doing both together).
Old 08-18-20, 02:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

It all depends on your body and your goals. Maybe what you have is all you'll need. Maybe you'll outgrow them all soon. Or, you could go for higher reps and lighter weights and leave it at that. You can always double up on weights versus buying more - like for one-armed rows.

I'm 67 and the most I use is 15 for one-armed rows, one-dumbbell French press and lat pullovers. (I used to use 17.5.)
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 06:34 PM  
DJ-H
VF Supporter

I appreciate all the information, tips and references! I am definitely starting very low weight, particularly due to my shoulder injury, and will work gradually to get the strength back. I'm doing shoulder presses with 3 lb. (3 sets of 10 reps), and that last reps are very hard with my injured arm, so I definitely have a ways to go. I'm doing dumbbell rows with 10 lbs., triceps, 3 lbs. Many of my PT exercises are with bands and tubes, so I don't know the weights.

Thanks! I'm impressed with the weights you people are using!

"Even though you can't turn back the clock, you can wind it up again." Joan MacDonald
DJ-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 06:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think if you're using bands/tubes, just go with your own "feel" of the intensity. we supplied the poundages since the info is readily available.

i recently recovered from a lower back strain (from vacuuiming) and simple coughing caused a little lower back pain! anyway, for workouts, i was just walking, doing floor work, and occasionally, 1-2# DBs while seated. i had some difficulty changing clothes, depending on the angle of my arms!

i did a lot of supermans and bird-dogs to make my back stronger. those helped immensely.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 05:45 AM  
Carol K

I'm 63 and I have weights from 3 to 15 lbs. I don't use one particular weight for a particular exercise. I only do FIRM and BeMax workouts and the weight I use for anything depends on what workout I'm doing because some of those workouts are faster and some are slower and there are a varying number of reps. That said, 12 lbs are my heaviest for bicep curls and overhead presses. I seem to instinctively know if I could injure myself and fortunately have avoided injury since I began working out in my 30s.
Old 08-19-20, 08:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

These Egg Weights look very user friendly! I want to try them but am on a spending moratorium.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, jari love, jari love rotation, strength training, weights