Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-20, 06:29 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Thorough Warm Ups

I did Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper and Lower Body not too long ago. It had been a long time so had forgotten how they went. I was so disappointed in the warm up or lack thereof. My body felt stiff and not ready at all to use weights.

Sometimes I get impatient with really long warm-ups such as a few of Cathe's kickboxing workouts but for me a minimum of 4 to 5 minutes is necessary.

How do you feel about it? Do you prefer shorter or longer warm-ups?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 07:08 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm not a big warm-up person. 4 or 5 minutes is about the max for me, I don't even mind shorter warm-ups. I'm almost hesitant to admit that I even skip the warm-ups sometimes if I'm short on time or just impatient . Of course I don't really do hardcore workouts either and I don't work out first thing in the morning which might make me feel differently. Or not. lol
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 07:41 AM  
bubbles76

I need my warm up. Not just physically but mentally. I am just not up for all that bounding around and hauling weights early in the morning. Or even late at night . I gotta be eased into it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 08:45 AM  
owltx

I need my warm up too. Working out first thing in the morning, I definitely need something to get used to the idea.
Old 06-29-20, 08:47 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I used to do whatever warm up was on the dvd, but now that I'm older I find that I need a longer warm up most of the time. On weight workouts I will do a an extra warm up set of the first couple of moves with lighter weights or none at all.

I agree about the Kathy Smith Secrets workouts. The warm ups are not long enough. As for Cathe, she often does push ups to warm up. No way on earth can I do them as a warm up.

I think the warm summer air also helps since I'm warmer to begin with.

I do a lot of Pilates and "the hundred" is supposed to be a warm up exercise. Here again, it's not enough and I have to do a more traditional warm up.

Do what you need to do to be properly warmed up. I think you avoid a lot of possible injuries that way.
Old 06-29-20, 09:27 AM  
Rhonda

I think it depends on the time of day for me. First thing in the morning I need something. But 4-5 minutes max.

If later in the day and as I have moved around already, I don't really need one.

The warmups that are 10 minutes long to me are a waste of the workout, especially if the workout is only 30 minutes.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 11:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

At my age, I prefer longer warm-ups. Especially for strength workouts.

So many of these "30-Minute" workouts exclude proper warm-ups and cool-downs. I have to add my own and then it turns into the usual 45-minute workout like in the old days.

I really like this 2017 article by Nia Shanks:

https://www.niashanks.com/strength-t...women-over-40/

The Strength Training Guide for Women Over 40

1. Don’t skip a general warm-up; consider lengthening it. Before you start strength training, perform a general warm-up. Low-impact activities would be ideal, such as using a stationary bike or other piece of cardio equipment. This doesn’t need to take more than a few minutes; just get your blood moving. If you’re feeling ‘stiff’ (and especially during cold months), add a few more minutes than usual. A good rule of thumb is to break a light sweat.

2. Perform more warm-up sets for strength training exercises. Some trainees find that as they’ve gotten older, they feel and perform better when they perform an extra warm-up set or two for their strength training exercises. Increase the weight gradually while decreasing the reps; it’s okay to do more warm-up sets than you used to. Take the time to prepare your body for the work it’s about to do.

As an example, let’s assume you’re going to perform goblet squats for your first exercise, and you’re aiming for 45 pounds for a set of 10 reps or so. Here’s how you can warm-up:

Warm-up set 1: bodyweight squat x 10 reps
Warm-up set 2: 15 pounds x 8 reps
Warm-up set 3: 25 pounds x 6 reps
Warm-up set 4: 35 pounds x 5 reps

You may want more (especially with exercises that allow you to handle more weight) or fewer sets (for exercises that require less weight, like a dumbbell shoulder press), but play with a gradual increase in weight and see how you feel.

Note: How important is warming up? Let’s put it this way: it you’re short on time you should remove a set of two from the workout instead of skipping the warm-up."

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 01:30 PM  
Karla25

I need a good warm-up :-) I usually warm up a bit even before doing yoga or stretching. Otherwise, it’s just too easy for me to get sore or injured.
Old 06-29-20, 02:10 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm not much into separate warmups. For most workouts, if there is no warmup, I just start slowly for the first part of the workout (less intense or less weight) and that seems to work.
Old 06-29-20, 02:22 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I think it depends on the time of day for me. First thing in the morning I need something. But 4-5 minutes max.

If later in the day and as I have moved around already, I don't really need one.
Ditto.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 40, over 50, stretching, warm ups, warm-up, warmup, warmups