Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-20, 09:38 PM  
angie_nrs

Surprised at potential value of vintage VHS workouts

I'm one of the holdouts still doing VHS workouts. When I pop in a DVD, I feel so new age and modern. Heck, sometimes I even do a premix. LOL! Anyways.....I've been looking for my original VHS Cathe Imax workout. I looked for weeks and couldn't find it. So, of coarse, that's the workout I want to do......b/c I can't! I looked on ebay for what that workout would cost me to buy it again and I only found one available on VHS for $25. I was looking at some other VHS tapes and those were high too. I was really shocked. I guess those VHS vintage workouts aren't so abundant anymore.

I was finally able to find my Imax tape. It was in a box that I put several tapes in to sell on ebay long ago, but just never got around to it. I'm not sure why I put that tape in there since the others that were there were doubles and this one wasn't. It must've been put in there by accident. So, I did Imax today....although I did lower the step height to 6" instead of the 8" height. I was still a sweaty mess and it was nice doing an oldie but goodie.

I didn't think VHS would be collectible (or even valuable) again, but I might have been wrong on that.
Old 06-23-20, 06:40 AM  
Gams

I didn’t think so, either. I know the game store here that buys used DVDs will not buy any VHS.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 07:19 AM  
fanofladyvols

Maybe it's the title?

I have seen VHS titles at Goodwill for 49¢. The only Cathe VHS I ever seen was All step though.

I love being able to pop in a VHS at the start mark minus all the warnings and intro.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 09:21 AM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Maybe it's the title?

I have seen VHS titles at Goodwill for 49¢. The only Cathe VHS I ever seen was All step though.

I love being able to pop in a VHS at the start mark minus all the warnings and intro.
It's funny you should mention All Step. That was my very first Cathe workout many many years ago! Now, I have almost all of them. I very rarely see Cathe w/o's at thrift stores or yard sales.

Good point on the VHS of passing by all the intro stuff. I never even considered that. Plus, when I rewind, I put my equipment away or continue with some stretches so that time is not wasted either.

I have 3 VHS/DVD player combos so that I can continue doing my vintage videos without worrying about finding a player in the future. Sometimes that picture on the cover is all the motivatation I need to get that workout in.
Old 06-23-20, 11:38 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

VHS online is totally jacked up. you can find the DVD version for a lot less! when i see the jacked up VHS prices knowing that the DVD version is much cheaper, i can tell the seller is just out of touch with reality.

i get that they're heavier and may cost more to mail first class, but charging anything more than $5-6 is unreasonable.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 12:17 PM  
warriorprincess

I wouldn't expect tape to be as durable as a DVD, but I'm basing that on absolutely nothing. :-)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 01:16 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
VHS online is totally jacked up. you can find the DVD version for a lot less! when i see the jacked up VHS prices knowing that the DVD version is much cheaper, i can tell the seller is just out of touch with reality.

i get that they're heavier and may cost more to mail first class, but charging anything more than $5-6 is unreasonable.
Yes I agree with this. It doesn't really matter what the selling price is if they don't actually sell it for that price. And the original IMAX is on DVD so $25 is too much IMHO.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 11:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Yes I agree with this. It doesn't really matter what the selling price is if they don't actually sell it for that price. And the original IMAX is on DVD so $25 is too much IMHO.
The DVD version that contains the original imax has two other workouts on it to boot - rhythmic step and MIC.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 06-24-20, 06:27 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I had a vhs copy of Cathe's CTX Upper Body that I sold on Amazon. I did not price gouge, but I was surprised at how quickly it sold. I think it was because it was a fairly rare title that was not available as an individual dvd.

I do think Cathe's organization makes a mistake in not selling some of these individual workouts on dvd.

Sets are fine, I buy them from time to time, but sometimes one dvd or workout is all I want. In the above example, I saved my vhs copy of Rhythmic Step because that was the only workout I wanted to keep.
Old 06-24-20, 06:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I had a vhs copy of Cathe's CTX Upper Body that I sold on Amazon. I did not price gouge, but I was surprised at how quickly it sold. I think it was because it was a fairly rare title that was not available as an individual dvd.
in Cathe's download section on her site, CTX UB (and All Abs) is not available as a download, and it appears that almost everything else is available. interesting.

rhythmic step is available as an individual download.

i know all of this depends if the user wants a download.

Tags
collectable, vhs, vintage workouts