Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-20, 01:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

OT: Somebody explain why I shoud keep watching "Game of Thrones?"

I rarely go this O/T, but the local sheriff has left town and it is a free-for-all here.

I never watched GoT as we didn't have HBO. I did catch part of an episode when HBO had a free week. The first thing I saw was a horse slashed. I said, "This is not the show for me."

I love horror/fantasy films and have no trouble with violence, gore, sex scenes or nudity. I do have trouble with simulated animal violence.

A friend foisted the GoT DVD set on us. We have watched the first two episodes. So far, puppies are almost killed, shots of animal carcasses abound, and a dog is killed. Plus, Jason Momoa plays Harvey Weinstein.

So, why should we keep watching this show. Does anything nice ever happen? Is there any humor whatsoever? I do enjoy the cinematography, costumes and world-building.

I'm willing to give it a chance if I think things will improve. (BTW, I already know that many folks thought the final season was a joke.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:29 PM  
unfetteredpast

I didn't even make it through the first episode. The only good thing about the series is the theme music, which I've played in an orchestra and it was fun.

But the series held no appeal for me. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's any good. Look at McDonald's.
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:43 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
But the series held no appeal for me. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's any good. Look at McDonald's.
LOL this says it well. There have been other shows that have been "popular" that have me shaking my head as to what the appeal might be. Different strokes I guess. I don't like overly violent shows, particularly when IMHO it's gratuitous. Never was interested enough in GoT to watch one episode.

I'd love to hear input from some fans of the show. I'm puzzled as well.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:54 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

It’s all a matter of taste, I loved GOT. There are a lot of Walking Dead fans out there & I didn’t even last one episode of that one....Ugh, didn’t appeal to me at all. Same with Black Mirror. I don’t criticize anyone who likes them though, it’s just different strokes....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 02:14 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
It’s all a matter of taste, I loved GOT. There a a lot of Walking Dead fans out there & I didn’t even last one episode of that one....Ugh, didn’t appeal to me at all. Same with Black Mirror. I don’t criticize anyone who likes them though, it’s just different strokes....
Lol, all of those shows are some of my favorites!

I didn't watch the first two seasons of GOT (but DH did). One Sunday HBO was having a GOT marathon and I was hooked! I only got up to get food and drinks the entire day! From that point on, I watched all the rest of the seasons.

Yes, it's extremely violent sometimes, I agree!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 02:55 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

HUGE fan of GoT here (and yes, I was disappointed in the last season but I won't explain why)! I had to re-watch the first couple of seasons several times before grasping everything that was happening and who all of the characters were. (I've heard the books have even more going on than what was used in the show). I was hooked once I 'got' everything.

I guess my advice is to give it more of a chance. And that I dare you not to fall in love with Peter Dinklage's and Kit Harrington's characters if you do.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 03:25 PM  
Demeris

I watched a season and a half, but all the simulated sex, boobs, frozen dead, and dragons were annoying and too over the top for me. I got a sprain in my eye muscle from all the eye rolling I did at the stupid parts. When I realized that the only story line that interested me was Tyrion Lannaster's, I stopped watching. If I could get JUST those scenes with HIS story line in them, I'd watch all of the seasons.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 04:15 PM  
SpiritYogi

I watched four episodes of the first season and called it quits; I just couldn't get into it. Too many other shows I enjoy / know I'd enjoy to bother trying to watch a show just because others are raving about it (but leaves me unimpressed).
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 04:24 PM  
BunnyHop

So far I've resisted the urge to watch this show.

I read the books and keep hoping there will be some sort of written ending to the series. Might just be a pipe dream, but such is life.

I don't begrudge the author his successes, but really do prefer books for this kind of thing. The whole thing strikes me as too dark and violent. I guess the way I imagined things as I read the book wasn't that gory.
Old 02-03-20, 05:57 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I'm another who could not get into it even though I know people who absolutely love it and normally our tastes line up pretty well. I also couldn't watch Breaking Bad after about five episodes. I guess I take after my dad, who wondered what the point of watching anything stressful was. He figured he had enough stress in life to begin with.

Tags
favorite tv shows, game of thrones, off topic