Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-19, 09:29 AM  
Diana3271

Anyone have experience with reflexology?

My issues are with muscle/tension in the neck shoulder area. Anyone find reflexology helpful with these areas? I have found accupressure helpful. I need to get it done weekly but I have been having issues with time constraints. Which probably leads to more muscle tension. LOL Vicious cycle. Are there any videos helpful with reflexology? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 09:31 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I had a 20 minute session during a health fair. From what I understand they do not work on the upper body, only the feet. But the meridian points they work on go all the way up the body. In my short session anyway, my feet were all she touched It was wonderful. I did feel good energy going up my legs even in that short time. Try it, it can't hurt.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 10:07 AM  
Lannette

I took Reflexology Courses in Massage School, though I’m not a Reflexologist. I use what I learned in massage sessions. The hands actually can be used during Reflexology sessions, though using the feet is most common.

There are printable charts on https://www.natural-holistic-health....xology-charts/ I’m not sure how large they are because I’m on my phone.

Lee Holden had Qi Healing Kit that included pressure pointing. I used this with great success during the acute phase of my neck and shoulder issue. I wrote about it on my blog. http://livehealthywithlannette.blogs...escue.html?m=1 FYI, There are now affiliate links in that post.

His pressure pointing is quite different because he has you pressure point your arms. I mentioned a DVD in that post that I thought might be similar but I don’t know if there’s pressure pointing in it.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 10:22 AM  
gladgirl

I am not a reflexologist, but have used what I learned in books and online and used on my DH's feet for both knee and shoulder pain. I did it nightly for about a week and he didn't need more.

Recently experiencing shoulder issues myself and found/heard about this point.

http://gueringreen.com/neck-pain-an-...or-stiff-neck/

I find it easier to use hand for myself and feet for DH.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 11:13 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

My husband and I have both had full body reflexology sessions with a lovely gal near us. She works you from head to toe and I must say, it's pretty amazing.

My husband has LOTS of aches and injuries and has seen her the most and she does wonders for him. Like injuries from combat - they are gone but reflexology provides hubby with lots of relief.

I started getting some pain at the base of both of my thumbs. Like carpel tunnel maybe? After a couple of sessions, the pain went away and has never come back.

Doesn't feel as deep as a massage at all but if you are quiet and focus, you can feel the energy move and align. At least I can. ;-)

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 11:21 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I took a reflexology course years ago, so have given and received it. It feels great, is very relaxing, & does have benefits for sure. I am no longer able to give it due to arthritis in both hands & wrists.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 12:27 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
My husband and I have both had full body reflexology sessions with a lovely gal near us. She works you from head to toe and I must say, it's pretty amazing.

My husband has LOTS of aches and injuries and has seen her the most and she does wonders for him. Like injuries from combat - they are gone but reflexology provides hubby with lots of relief.

I started getting some pain at the base of both of my thumbs. Like carpel tunnel maybe? After a couple of sessions, the pain went away and has never come back.

Doesn't feel as deep as a massage at all but if you are quiet and focus, you can feel the energy move and align. At least I can. ;-)

Kate, how did you find your full body reflexology person? Was it a friend's referral? Just curious if you used some criteria in your decision. It sounds like a wonderful thing to do...full body!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 01:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

while you're locating a practitioner, massage your big toes and thumbs, and the "necks" of both. those 4 body parts correspond with your head and neck. below your baby toe underneath your foot is the spot for shoulders.

I have 2 reflexology DVDs* and a book by Michael Gach, which I found in the library and eventually bought my own copy:
https://www.amazon.com/Acupressures-.../dp/0553349708

also, work on aligning your neck and spine to be straight. your head weighs 12# and if you are off by 1 millimeter, the pressure on your vertebrae is 60# (5x the weight). texting while tilting your head will do this.

youtube has a lot of videos too on how to do your own reflexology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLuLnjIxiY

*Reflexology DVDs that I own:
https://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Stres...ies-tv&sr=1-10

Ann Gillanders
https://www.amazon.com/Reflexology-M...ies-tv&sr=1-18

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 03:46 PM  
slockhart

I was a certified reflexologist and practiced for several years. I had clients who came regularly for pain and they found it effective, but once you stop getting treatments, the benefits stop; it's something you have to keep doing
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 05:33 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
My issues are with muscle/tension in the neck shoulder area. Anyone find reflexology helpful with these areas? I have found accupressure helpful. I need to get it done weekly but I have been having issues with time constraints. Which probably leads to more muscle tension. LOL Vicious cycle. Are there any videos helpful with reflexology? TIA
I believe in reflexology. I know there are pressure points you can’t do on prenatal clients so there are also points on our feet connected to our body organs.

I don’t know about it relaxing muscles but I do know it feels
100% better than a regular foot massage.

I believe in acupuncture also. Chinese know those body meridians and they are exact about it. If all else fails, get a gift certificate to have a session. You’ll wake up stuff you didn’t know was sleep.

A good Chinese massage is also different than American style.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflexology