Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 01:45 PM  
Tugger31

Question Upper Body Strength post injury

For those of you who had the unfortunate "luck" of having an injury for the upper body/neck/shoulder and been told you can't ever lift heavy again, is it still possible to have some nice looking arms even if you can't go heavier than 5 or 8 lb dumbbells?? Especially for any fellow Endomorphs out there. Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 09:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

It all depends on the injury. I had a back injury last Fall. I had to be careful for many months about any kind of lifting. (Even picking up my cats.) My DH still has to help me with some chores.

Most articles I've read, and the physical therapy I did, focus strongly on building ab strength and back strength to support the spine. I've done more core work in the last year than in my whole life!

I have worked up to lifting heavier. One therapist recommend keeping heavy weights below the site of the injury. I use very light weights for any overhead moves, like shoulder presses. My arms look nice and toned (for an old lady!)

And, as we all know, lower body fat will enhance the definition one has worked hard for.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 12:58 PM  
wlorrie

Can you use bands? I can imagine you can still get great definition with band work.

I was hit by a car and had a bad shoulder injury. However, my doctors did not forbid me from ever using heavy weights. During PT, I started with no weights, then bands (light, medium, and heavy). When I resumed heavy weights about 8 months later, I could still match the other should in terms of weight and did not lose any muscle tone. But every body is different.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries