Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-19, 11:28 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
They are produced by the originators of the FIRM, so are most similar to the original FIRMs - those produced before the first Body Sculpting System (Fanny Lifter set).
Didn't we give the name 'Fanny Lifter' an eye roll when it came out? LOL
If it was released today, it would be called the 'Booty Lifter'. More LOL
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 04:52 AM  
Tanja

I have been enjoying the FitPrime workouts lately. They are feel good workouts. Currently, I am doing one heavy (machine) TB machine workout, two StrEndurance workouts and two FitPrimes a week. My muscular imbalances, caused by shortened hipflexors due to lots of walking workouts(Jessica and Leslie seven days a week) on top of walking at my job, are almost all recovered. For one year I did only walking and very basic strength workouts; this kept me healthy (blood work, blood pressure, stress level) but my muscular system did not appreciate it.

Most of Leslie's and Jessica's workouts are standing. It is very important to practice getting up and down off the floor.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 08:10 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
I have been enjoying the FitPrime workouts lately. They are feel good workouts. Currently, I am doing one heavy (machine) TB machine workout, two StrEndurance workouts and two FitPrimes a week. My muscular imbalances, caused by shortened hipflexors due to lots of walking workouts(Jessica and Leslie seven days a week) on top of walking at my job, are almost all recovered. For one year I did only walking and very basic strength workouts; this kept me healthy (blood work, blood pressure, stress level) but my muscular system did not appreciate it.

Most of Leslie's and Jessica's workouts are standing. It is very important to practice getting up and down off the floor.
This is really interesting, because I do a lot of walking and jogging as my primary form of pure cardio, although I do mix in aerobic weight training and yoga. Yet my hip flexors are probably an area where I wish I could see some improvement in mobility. I have trouble with explosive movements and with kicking, and while I believe some of that is skeletal in just how my pelvis is structured, I think that my range of motion in this area is really limited, particularly if I have to make a wide range with speed. My forward momentum and my on-the-floor flexibility in the hips is actually pretty good, it's just the in-motion part. And I'm wondering if years and years of Leslie have actually hindered this.
Old 06-28-19, 08:20 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
Didn't we give the name 'Fanny Lifter' an eye roll when it came out? LOL
If it was released today, it would be called the 'Booty Lifter'. More LOL
I often wonder what it is/was called in the UK where I understand 'fanny' refers to an exclusively female body part.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 09:01 AM  
Harivelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I often wonder what it is/was called in the UK where I understand 'fanny' refers to an exclusively female body part.
"Fanny" or "bum" is butt/booty/derriere.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 05:25 PM  
Tanja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
This is really interesting, because I do a lot of walking and jogging as my primary form of pure cardio, although I do mix in aerobic weight training and yoga. Yet my hip flexors are probably an area where I wish I could see some improvement in mobility. I have trouble with explosive movements and with kicking, and while I believe some of that is skeletal in just how my pelvis is structured, I think that my range of motion in this area is really limited, particularly if I have to make a wide range with speed. My forward momentum and my on-the-floor flexibility in the hips is actually pretty good, it's just the in-motion part. And I'm wondering if years and years of Leslie have actually hindered this.
This is a possibility. Shortened hipflexors and weak glutes can be caused by overuse of the same muscles over and over. When I was doing lying pilates full range hip circles, my left hip was clicking, snagging and cramping, severely. Originally, I thought I had a bone spur or something but it turns out that my hipflexors were shortened. Shortened hipflexors can cause rectus femoris atrophy and a lot of other problems, even foot problems. It took a couple of months to lengthen my hipflexors by doing pilates and yoga. Now I am in the strength and functionality phase. I will never ever rely on walking and simple weight workouts to stay healthy.

Doing bridges 10 reps for 3 sets, holding for 5 seconds several times a day for the first week made the biggest difference in my hipflexor flexibility.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 06:29 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harivelo View Post
"Fanny" or "bum" is butt/booty/derriere.
It means that in America - in British slang it refers to a woman's private parts. I'm guessing the set wasn't marketed in the UK.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 07:03 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
Doing bridges 10 reps for 3 sets, holding for 5 seconds several times a day for the first week made the biggest difference in my hipflexor flexibility.
Oh, very cool, thanks! Couldn't hurt to try that.
Old 06-29-19, 08:19 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, the timing of this thread is great for me! I've been doing some classic Firms but their datedness (plus overfamiliarity) has been getting to me a little, lol.

I have an assortment of KBs and FPs, including some originals from Anna Benson. most of which I've only tried once or never even done even though I loved the music. I bet I'd appreciate them much more now, especially if they're joint-friendly. I have:

Original (Anna Benson):
- Floor Burn
- Steamin' Cardio
- Fast Cheetah
- From the Ground Up/Crunch Time (combo DVD w/both)
- G-Force

WHFN
- FP Metaboost
- FP Flex Posture
- FP Lean
- KB Push Pull
- KB Steamin' Cardio
- KB Strong Bear

Plus I have an assortment of 2-disc 'quickie' compilations I got for busy mornings but are still in shrink <sigh>. Not exactly sure how many *distinct* routines they offer but this is according to the back covers:
- QuickStart 4 Day Quickie (8 15m workouts)
- QuickStart 4 Day 4 Way Mini Fusion (16 workouts)
- 6 Day Trainer 6 Day Slam (18 20m workouts)

I think I'm certainly set to go for a rotation but, in true vidiot FOMO fashion, are there any must-have favorite(s) I'm missing (or are any of these duds to be avoided)?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 08:21 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I have both - Kickbutts and Fitprimes that I haven't done in years. Recently, I found a rotation calendar for both (each is 4 weeks) and was contemplating following it. Maybe I will do it in the Fall. I remember liking the workouts.
Hi Dana, would it be possible to share that rotation?

I have the summer off and am thinking this would be fun to try now.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anna benson, whfn