Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-19, 12:24 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Cathe On Demand...talk me into it or out of it...

I already have Cathe Live and many of her DVDs, but there are quite a few older ones I want to acquire or reacquire after having gotten rid of them years ago for whatever reason I can't remember now. I'm considering changing my membership to On Demand to try those out before committing to buying them, but some part of me feels like that's just a waste of money and it'd be better to just go ahead and put that money towards buying the DVDs in the first place! Talk me into it or out of it, please!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 06:15 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

If it were me, I would commit from the outset to only trying cathe on demand for 1 month (perhaps with a list in mind of what I wanted to try out) and trying out as much as possible out within that one month, and then canceling after the month is up. Unless of course you fall in love with the workout blender and think that's worth paying $20/month for. Depending on how many workouts you want to try out, I think $20 is worth it to avoid wasting money on buying individual dvds or dvd sets that you may or may not like.

Also, since you are already paying for cathe live which is $10/month, isn't it just an extra $10 to get cathe on demand? So really, you're only paying an extra $10 to access her whole catalogue. (I think.)

Please keep in mind though that I'm a person who prefers to own workout dvds vs. streaming. I own almost everything that cathe has put out and buy during preorders to get the best value (though you can get pretty good discounts when ordering from cathe's website--e.g. 30% if you buy 6 or more items).

With movies, that's a different matter and I primarily just stream, but even then, I don't pay to stream HBO Now 12 months out of the year. I usually just pay for one or two months of HBO Now a year, catch up on all of my HBO shows, and am done for the rest of the year when it comes to HBO. The only streaming subscriptions I keep year round are netflix (since it's my mom's account that I share) and amazon prime (which is my uncle's account which I share).
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 06:31 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
If it were me, I would commit from the outset to only trying cathe on demand for 1 month (perhaps with a list in mind of what I wanted to try out) and trying out as much as possible out within that one month, and then canceling after the month is up. Unless of course you fall in love with the workout blender and think that's worth paying $20/month for. Depending on how many workouts you want to try out, I think $20 is worth it to avoid wasting money on buying individual dvds or dvd sets that you may or may not like.

Also, since you are already paying for cathe live which is $10/month, isn't it just an extra $10 to get cathe on demand? So really, you're only paying an extra $10 to access her whole catalogue. (I think.)

Please keep in mind though that I'm a person who prefers to own workout dvds vs. streaming. I own almost everything that cathe has put out and buy during preorders to get the best value (though you can get pretty good discounts when ordering from cathe's website--e.g. 30% if you buy 6 or more items).

With movies, that's a different matter and I primarily just stream, but even then, I don't pay to stream HBO Now 12 months out of the year. I usually just pay for one or two months of HBO Now a year, catch up on all of my HBO shows, and am done for the rest of the year when it comes to HBO. The only streaming subscriptions I keep year round are netflix (since it's my mom's account that I share) and amazon prime (which is my uncle's account which I share).
Thank you for your insight, adawn! That is actually what I planned on doing is giving it one or two months, as I do have a list of workouts I'm interested in trying before buying on DVD. I'd want to purchase using her coupons which give quite a steep discount, but only if you order quite a few DVDs.

I'm with you on that...if something is available on DVD, that's how I would prefer to own it versus streaming (even though I love her live workouts and other streaming services)! I just don't want to end up spending needless $$ on DVD workouts I won't ever end up liking or using. Also, good point on it only being about $10 more for her entire catalogue versus just the live workouts. For some reason, I wasn't thinking of it that way, and that makes me feel WAY less guilty alone! Thank you!

BUT...wait! You can pay to stream HBO just a couple of months, cancel, resume???? I was just thinking we need to trim our cable bill which is absolutely outrageous but was trying to figure out how to keep HBO. Now you've really given me something to look into....that's brilliant!!
Old 02-26-19, 06:57 PM  
Zenara25

Have you ever used the 7 day free trial? If not then this option might work... It says "*Limit one free 7 day trial membership per person."

https://cathe.com/stream/product/cat...bership-trial/

Maybe you can at least preview the ones your interested in and hopefully workout to a few also.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 07:06 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
Have you ever used the 7 day free trial? If not then this option might work... It says "*Limit one free 7 day trial membership per person."

https://cathe.com/stream/product/cat...bership-trial/

Maybe you can at least preview the ones your interested in and hopefully workout to a few also.
OMG THANK YOU!! I will try that when I go to sign up!! That will give me some extra time if it works!
Old 02-26-19, 08:47 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
BUT...wait! You can pay to stream HBO just a couple of months, cancel, resume???? I was just thinking we need to trim our cable bill which is absolutely outrageous but was trying to figure out how to keep HBO. Now you've really given me something to look into....that's brilliant!!
Yes, but it's streaming and not through your regular cable package (same goes for Showtime last time I checked). And you do have to remember to cancel after you're done watching for the month or two (usually I binge watch so I only need a month or two each year). And, if you've never done it before, you get a 1-month free trial.

Here are some ways to stream HBO Now:
1. Stream online and view it on your computer
2. Stream through an app in your smart tv (if you have a smart tv)
3. Stream via an app in your tivo (for those of us actually still using tivo instead of a cable box)
4. Stream through an app on a Roku

There are probably other ways (apple tv, etc?) but I listed the ways available to me.

So, I dislike watching on my computer because the screen's small, I can't rewind easily because I knit with a cat sitting on my lap and so forth. And the tivo app functionality isn't always great. And our smart tv has been glitchy lately with using the apps to stream so we just use Roku now. Roku's are so cheap now we recently bought a 2nd roku premiere for $30 for the spare bedroom just so we wouldn't have to keep moving the Roku back and forth between the family room and spare bedroom. The spare bedroom doesn't have a smart tv with apps so the Roku really is needed there to stream anything.

My uncle raved about Roku for years but I ignored him because I thought, we have a smart tv with apps so who needs another device? Well, Roku works slightly better for us than the smart tv apps. And you can stream things like all the PBS Frontline episodes for free via the PBS channel on Roku. Sure, I could use storage space on my tivo box to record Frontlines and watch archived Frontlines on pbs.com. But now I can just stream them via the Roku.

Now, just to make things more confusing, there's also something called HBO Go, but that's for people who get HBO through their cable provider and want to watch on other devices.

Side note: you can sometimes find HBO Now gift cards being sold in big box stores, but they're pretty rare to come across. The gift card is a good option though if you're afraid you'll forget to cancel after a month or whatever since you decide how much money to load onto the giftcard. One year I got my uncle an HBO Now gift card and it took me several stores before I found one that actually had them. They always seem to have everything but the HBO giftcards.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-19, 09:37 PM  
rykram

I just recently changed my account to add on demand. I’ve not regretted it. I was reading on her forum about it and they’re supposedly working on some stuff that will be exclusive to on demand customers.

I have also been trying some of her workouts that aren’t talked about as much like High Reps, Flex Train, Rockout Knockout or Crossfire. I had usually been sticking with the big series ones like Intensity, Hardcore, X-Train, LITE or ICE or something.

It’s also easy to try different premixes. I like being able to mix and match and not get out of the workout zone because I don’t have to switch out dvds.
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 01:23 AM  
dbclark44

I have bought every release Cathe has put out since discovering her in 2003. In the past I have signed up for On Demand and cancelled it after 6 months because I just wasn't using it. In December I retired for good. No working what so ever. So today I decided to give her another shot now that I have more time. Hopefully I'll get more use out of streaming her than I did before. Streaming can serve multiple needs. For me I can use her at the Y to do her upper body workouts. For others it's like you said, a trial period to try out some of the workouts you don't have. The beauty of it is you can cancel anytime as log as you didn't sign up for a 6 month or long year commitment. Good luck with your decision.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-19, 11:33 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Yes, but it's streaming and not through your regular cable package (same goes for Showtime last time I checked). And you do have to remember to cancel after you're done watching for the month or two (usually I binge watch so I only need a month or two each year). And, if you've never done it before, you get a 1-month free trial.

Here are some ways to stream HBO Now:
1. Stream online and view it on your computer
2. Stream through an app in your smart tv (if you have a smart tv)
3. Stream via an app in your tivo (for those of us actually still using tivo instead of a cable box)
4. Stream through an app on a Roku

There are probably other ways (apple tv, etc?) but I listed the ways available to me.

So, I dislike watching on my computer because the screen's small, I can't rewind easily because I knit with a cat sitting on my lap and so forth. And the tivo app functionality isn't always great. And our smart tv has been glitchy lately with using the apps to stream so we just use Roku now. Roku's are so cheap now we recently bought a 2nd roku premiere for $30 for the spare bedroom just so we wouldn't have to keep moving the Roku back and forth between the family room and spare bedroom. The spare bedroom doesn't have a smart tv with apps so the Roku really is needed there to stream anything.

My uncle raved about Roku for years but I ignored him because I thought, we have a smart tv with apps so who needs another device? Well, Roku works slightly better for us than the smart tv apps. And you can stream things like all the PBS Frontline episodes for free via the PBS channel on Roku. Sure, I could use storage space on my tivo box to record Frontlines and watch archived Frontlines on pbs.com. But now I can just stream them via the Roku.

Now, just to make things more confusing, there's also something called HBO Go, but that's for people who get HBO through their cable provider and want to watch on other devices.

Side note: you can sometimes find HBO Now gift cards being sold in big box stores, but they're pretty rare to come across. The gift card is a good option though if you're afraid you'll forget to cancel after a month or whatever since you decide how much money to load onto the giftcard. One year I got my uncle an HBO Now gift card and it took me several stores before I found one that actually had them. They always seem to have everything but the HBO giftcards.
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to change the subject in my own thread, but HOW would you knit with a cat in your lap??? My own lap fungus wakes up and starts playing with the ties on my sweatshirts if I move at all while watching something on TV....I can't imagine yarn, hah hah hah hah hah hah!!!

We use the HBO Go (part of our cable package) app through our Xbox, the one that still works with HBO. I briefly looked into Roku when I was considering Cathe Live and wow, that is certainly affordable. I wasn't aware it worked so well on top of it for everything else too, like Netflix, so that's definitely in my mind now. I agree, the smart TV apps generally don't work very well for us either, and it's usually due to losing wireless connection/buffering/just being glitchy whereas everything typically works great through the Xbox.

The other thing I worried about with losing cable was how am I going to get access to PBS, which we watch a LOT of in our house. Sounds like Roku is a solution for that too. You've given me so much to think about, thank you!!
Old 02-27-19, 11:37 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykram View Post
I just recently changed my account to add on demand. I’ve not regretted it. I was reading on her forum about it and they’re supposedly working on some stuff that will be exclusive to on demand customers.

I have also been trying some of her workouts that aren’t talked about as much like High Reps, Flex Train, Rockout Knockout or Crossfire. I had usually been sticking with the big series ones like Intensity, Hardcore, X-Train, LITE or ICE or something.

It’s also easy to try different premixes. I like being able to mix and match and not get out of the workout zone because I don’t have to switch out dvds.
Oh my gosh, High Reps and Flex Train are two of my favorites of hers! I have them on DVD and do them very frequently, or I had before I got live and got busy trying out all of those workouts.

They're working on things exclusive to On Demand customers?? Well, shoot! I wonder what that will be!

Tags
amazon prime videos, cathe on demand, flex train