Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-19, 06:57 PM  
CarlaVeg

Heal Neck & Shoulder Pain with Cain Carroll

Hello has anyone tried this dvd? I am suffering with really bad shoulder neck pain, that trigger headaches, numbness in fingers and a bit of wooziness. Wondering if anyone tried this dvd and saw improvements. Thanks for any info!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 09:02 PM  
jusca

I might need to get this dvd. I never heard of it but I surely have those symptoms right now.

Amazon has quite a few reviews although you may be looking for a VFer's opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Heal-Neck-Sho.../dp/0983298122
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 08:04 AM  
donnadc

I have this dvd. I like it but I didnt use it until after I had already gone to physical therapy for my neck issues, so I was already feeling better when I started using it. So, I'm not sure how much it helped me??

Have you seen a doctor yet for your issues? Or a physical therapist? I found out that I have degenerative discs and need to avoid tilting my head backward. Also I was told to avoid jumping, running and rebounding. So it's probably good to get a professional opinion. Hope you feel better soon!

Oh, check out Bob and Brad on youtube. They have several neck and posture videos. Their user name is physicaltherapyvideo.
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 08:42 AM  
dnna

Bob and Brad are great! I learned so much watching that channel.
good luck
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 11:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have this one. It is very gentle. It does help.

I really like Bob & Brad, too!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 12:10 PM  
LAC

Never heard of this DVD, but if it works, I want it! I've been dealing with a neck and shoulder issue for over a year. I think I need physical therapy, but my GP sent me to a chiropractor instead.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 01:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I've had this for awhile, having done the 1st routine sometime last year. I did the entire DVD yesterday and this morning to refresh my memory so that I could report back.

This is a qi gong style practice without any woo-woo. the moves are flowing with wide circular motions with the arms, targeting the shoulders, upper back, rotator cuffs, and the neck. in voiceover, he cues you about the breathing and provides reminders about alignment.

there are 2 routines, each about 25 min apiece. each routine has different moves. the first 15 min is standing and the last 10 min are seated on a chair. the seated moves are mostly static stretching. he spends enough time on each segment, including the stretching moves.

in addition to the many circular moves, which are all different, the first routine (titled Mobility) has a 5 min hand reflexology segment, applying acupressure on the points of your palms that correspond to the neck and shoulders. I located the tender spots that he directs you to that signaled tension in the neck/shoulders.

the last 10 min of the dvd are short, 1-2 min segments where he demonstrates how to sit at your computer, how to sit while driving, how to position your body, neck, back and hips when you sleep, frozen shoulder and how to carry bags. excellent advice and tips that make this DVD unique.

music is very quiet and meditative, with a chime at the end of the 25 min routine signaling the finish.

i came across this DVD when searching for an alternative to Michelle Joyce's 30 Day Posture Makeover DVD. i was disappointed in that routine after trying it, having read the VF review. it's choppy in that there's 1 segment per day; sure, you can string a bunch together, but it's not what i was expecting. Michelle has 1 or 2 segments that could be construed as a "routine" IIRC. there's many fans of Michelle's DVD, and maybe i'm just in the minority.

Another good one is Janice Novak's Posture Get It Straight. i'll post a review of it tomorrow.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 04:15 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Thank you! Just the thread I was needing right now....unfortunately!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 04:53 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Thank you for starting this thread!

I've also been suffering with shoulder pain and have been going to physical therapy the last couple of weeks. While it has helped to increase my ROM, the pain hasn't lessened much. I've also made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon and again with my PCP just before that.

I appreciate the DVD recommendations and reviews! If there are any others like it that someone might suggest I'd be grateful!

I just picked up Karl Knopf's "Heal Your Frozen Shoulder" which has a number of PT exercises, and some using bands and it's pretty good.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 01:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i came across this DVD when searching for an alternative to Michelle Joyce's 30 Day Posture Makeover DVD. i was disappointed in that routine after trying it, having read the VF review. it's choppy in that there's 1 segment per day; sure, you can string a bunch together, but it's not what i was expecting. Michelle has 1 or 2 segments that could be construed as a "routine" IIRC. there's many fans of Michelle's DVD, and maybe i'm just in the minority.

Another good one is Janice Novak's Posture Get It Straight. i'll post a review of it tomorrow.
I was disappointed in the assorted, choppy segments of Michelle's video, too. I never do it. I wish she had added a full routine.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, cain carrol, cain carroll, janice novak, michelle joyce, posture, reflexology