Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-18, 09:44 PM  
Genevieve M

So is this what being in your 60's is like?

Hi,

I am slowly making my way back to this board, after a long hiatus. Have asked this question in the past - has anyone who is post-menopausal been able to get this weight gain under control?

All of a sudden, last year, I woke up with a bulking abdomen. Not just a pouch, mind you, this thing is enormous! Haven't had a weight issue in a long time. My arms are bullkier, and so are my thighs. I used to be a serious Cathe and kickboxing fan.

A friend of mine is in the same boat - she works out with a trainer, but she cannot get the weight off. She is like a little butterball. I know, from eating at her house, that they try to eat very clean.

Am interested in what you all have experienced and how you are managing it. Thanks for any feedback you can give.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-18, 09:47 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Have you seen a doctor? If you wake up with a sudden bulging abdomen, it could be a hernia or tumor or something. It's worth checking out.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 12:48 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I will be 65 in three months. What I've learned from my own experience is that everyone is different, but genetics will tell. Some people gain weight, some don't, some gain it in weird places, other folks break their hips.

I have exercised my entire adult life with practically no breaks, and until my mid-40s was perfectly fine with that. I never actively counted calories although I'd bought into the brainwashing of the 60s when I grew up to be thin and was vigilant. Hell, I still ate pizza and drank beer and was fine somehow.

My body started changing in my early 40s along with the onset of perimenopause. 25 years later, I am a version of my mom with a little apron of belly fat but great toned muscles everywhere else. I actually shed tears over it twenty or so years ago, when my husband replied honestly to a question that yes, I had gained weight.

Since then, I've lived an active productive life, traveled, learned many things, helped people, and still manage to weigh 20 pounds more than I would like to. I have lots of muscle and a fair amount of fluff but I am fitter than many people my age (but I would never run a marathon. or a block. Not built for it) Observing the changes in my husband's body over the years, I refuse to feel bad about the changes in mine. My work has taught me that those who love you don't care a bit what you look like, they love YOU.

That said, a very sudden (not a metaphorical "overnight") change in your abdomen should definitely be checked by a doc.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 04:45 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
My work has taught me that those who love you don't care a bit what you look like, they love YOU.
Preach! My darling is 20+ lbs heavier than he was when I married him. Sometimes his shirts strain over his tummy. He could gain another 100lbs and he would continue to be the center of my world.

I've gained and then lost my own 20lbs over the past 15 years. I believe he feels exactly the same, regardless of what size body I'm inhabiting.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 06:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yes, I'm afraid it is. I gained a significant amount of weight for me during this time. I finally managed to get it under control, but am still about 5 pounds heavier than I would like.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 07:44 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I just turned 55 in February and I'm dealing with the same thing. Feels like in the last 5-7 years 20 lbs. has appeared (mostly around my middle). I was was already 10 lbs. heavier than I wanted to be but now I just want to get back to that again, lol!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 08:38 AM  
laurajhawk

I'm 54 and at the beginning of 2017, I'd gained about 15 lb over 7 years or so and didn't like it at all. I had also just gotten through menopause and was sleeping better - it was a good time to try (again) to take off the weight. I did it with Slim in 6 (for about two months in the summer, a modified program) and other circuit workouts, more workouts in general, and counting calories with the Fitbit app. I have gained 2-3 lbs back since Christmastime but I do feel a lot better than I did this time last year. It can be done.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 08:59 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I've posted before on similar menopause threads on how I lost over 40 lbs at age 56 after going through menopause. It was all the perimenopause weight gain and then some. So it can be done, though I know there are health issues and medications that make it more difficult in some cases. I have loosened up my eating a little lately and gained a few lbs but I'm still wearing the same clothes and I'm still at a good weight. I'll be 61 next month. I counted calories, walked daily and did some KCM/MR type of weight work a few times a week back then when I lost the weight. I try to walk 3 or 4 times a week still. My work schedule is erratic and I work long hours some days so daily walking isn't doable anymore but I try to walk and workout when I can. For me, it's mostly about how much and what I eat but the working out definitely helps.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 09:45 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'm 51 and I know the topic of this thread is for those in their 60's, but I've been in menopause for a year now and am starting to lose some of the weight I gained in peri. For me, it's all about how much I eat and not so much about what I'm eating, which is surprising to me. Since we can't discuss diet, I won't say more than that.

I hate to say this but I don't think exercise has any effect on my weight either way. I've experimented with different types of workouts and see no difference no matter what I do, so now I exercise to stay strong and to be able to do things in daily life, not to lose weight or look a certain way (which is the opposite of how it was when I was younger). Everyone is different though, but this is what seems to work for me so far.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 09:52 AM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I'm 51 and I know the topic of this thread is for those in their 60's, but I've been in menopause for a year now and am starting to lose some of the weight I gained in peri. For me, it's all about how much I eat and not so much about what I'm eating, which is surprising to me. Since we can't discuss diet, I won't say more than that.

I hate to say this but I don't think exercise has any effect on my weight either way. I've experimented with different types of workouts and see no difference no matter what I do, so now I exercise to stay strong and to be able to do things in daily life, not to lose weight or look a certain way (which is the opposite of how it was when I was younger). Everyone is different though, but this is what seems to work for me so far.
I agree with this! I'm 56 and post menopausal (total hysterectomy 14 years ago). I gained 40 pounds right out of the gate. More exercise just didn't work. Eating less did the trick. I walk for cardio and lift weights (no more than 10 lbs.). Less of everything has made me feel so much better.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50