Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-17, 05:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Anyone own a Roomba?

Is it any good? Is it loud? Will my cats freak out? (Yeah, I've seen that cat on YouTube in the shark suit riding on a Roomba.) My cats are very skittish.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 05:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I have one. It isn't as loud as a vacuum cleaner. If I'm in another room the sound is barely noticeable.

My cat runs to get to her hiding place in the spare room. She likes things that move but Roomba is too much for her.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 05:30 PM  
Malinda

I have a Roomba and I almost love it more than my precious kitties. I don’t find it particularly loud; it is not nearly as loud as my regular vacuum cleaners. My girls were a little afraid of it at first, but never freaked out. After a couple of months of it being around, they were just mildly annoyed by it. Now, they will continue sleeping on the couch while it works, as opposed to running from the regular vacuum when I use it. My most skittish kitty actually likes to sleep next to it when it is on its charging base.

I’ve had it for 4 years and have had to replace the battery twice. The first replacement battery I bought was an off-brand, and it didn’t last at all. This last time, I bought the iRobot brand, and it works perfectly. I have replaced the brushes twice in the time I have had it.

It works great on my hardwood, VCT, tile, and carpeted floors. It picks up people hair, cat hair, kitty litter, everything. It transitions to most rugs easily; occasionally it will get hung up on a bathroom rug and I’ll have to rescue it. I love that it cleans underneath furniture, including beds.

Honestly, it is the best money I’ve ever spent. The day it dies, I will run right out and purchase another one.
Old 11-27-17, 05:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes. we love ours. it's almost like having another pet!

I think the cats on youtube who ride it were trained at a young age, to be honest.

my cat will tolerate it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 06:57 PM  
furmomof6

I have a Deebot N79, it's cheaper than the Roomba and does a great job. (We were fortunate enough to get it half off on Prime day, too!) It's also more quiet than a Roomba. My cats freaked out when we first got it, but now they're used to it and just watch it roll by.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 09:56 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

How often do you have to change the bag? How often do you run it? Good at corners?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 10:23 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

With 2 cats, 4 floors to vacuum and my ever increasing dislike of vacuuming, this thread has sparked my interest. Particularly because Roomba has never even been on my radar before. Hmm....
Old 11-27-17, 10:27 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Is it any good? Is it loud? Will my cats freak out? (Yeah, I've seen that cat on YouTube in the shark suit riding on a Roomba.) My cats are very skittish.
Your avatar photo is precious!!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 10:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
With 2 cats, 4 floors to vacuum and my ever increasing dislike of vacuuming, this thread has sparked my interest. Particularly because Roomba has never even been on my radar before. Hmm....
two people at work who have cats put the bug in my ear. i was surprised that both were cat owners! one of them, a dude, can be a grumpy guy at work, but he was smiling and saying how a roomba is a must if you have a cat!

about 2 years later, it was on sale at costco, and my son who was 17 at the time, pointed at it, and the next thing i know, it was in our cart.

it does a pretty decent job of light vacuuming, and i told my son "... in the future, they'll merge a drone with a roomba and allow you the ability to clean walls and ceilings!"

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 10:54 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
it does a pretty decent job of light vacuuming, and i told my son "... in the future, they'll merge a drone with a roomba and allow you the ability to clean walls and ceilings!"
Music to my ears Jeannine! Now I am really going to take a closer look at Roomba. My older cat (avatar) will not be bothered by it at all - he's that laid back. The younger one may be, but he will just have to get used to it. For once, I will not cater to him.

I'll take a closer look at Roomba for sure.

Tags
off-topic, roomba