Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-18, 04:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sue, I remember seeing that study for older people before--very encouraging! It's just weird that lately I've seen an increase in articles about lifting heavy.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 06:56 PM  
Sara1000

Older people may be able to lift heavy without joint problems as long as they condition their joints first with lighter weights and build up slowly.

If you slack off you will probably lose strength quicker and build back up more slowly - they danger is trying to build up at the same rate you could do when you were younger.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 08:03 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Older people may be able to lift heavy without joint problems as long as they condition their joints first with lighter weights and build up slowly.

If you slack off you will probably lose strength quicker and build back up more slowly - they danger is trying to build up at the same rate you could do when you were younger.
Very true, all of this.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 11:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I like the idea of periodization. Would love to hear more about how you do it, Alta!
Beth, I sometimes follow a plan that has one month of high-rep/light weights (i.e. Margaret Richard), one month of medium weight/mid reps (i.e. Cathe's Push Pull) and then a month of low-rep/heavy weight (i.e. Chalene Extreme Push Phase). A fun way to mix it up is the "Look Great in 8" rotation where you change from week to week using your favorite workouts. I did LGI8 late last year. I did modify it quite a bit to avoid possible over-training. I'm no spring chicken (or an Ernestine Shepherd):

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=104923

And, for information overload, one has to consider how to recruit slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle into a program:

https://www.acefitness.org/education...-muscle-fibers

BTW, I really like this article that Sue B posted a while back:

http://www.niashanks.com/strength-tr...women-over-40/

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 11:41 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Beth, I sometimes follow a plan that has one month of high-rep/light weights (i.e. Margaret Richard), one month of medium weight/mid reps (i.e. Cathe's Push Pull) and then a month of low-rep/heavy weight (i.e. Chalene Extreme Push Phase). A fun way to mix it up is the "Look Great in 8" rotation where you change from week to week using your favorite workouts. I did LGI8 late last year. I did modify it quite a bit to avoid possible over-training. I'm no spring chicken (or an Ernestine Shepherd):

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=104923

And, for information overload, one has to consider how to recruit slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle into a program:

https://www.acefitness.org/education...-muscle-fibers

BTW, I really like this article that Sue B posted a while back:

http://www.niashanks.com/strength-tr...women-over-40/

Thank you for all of this info. I like your plan of the one month hi rep/lo weight, one month of medium weight, and one month of heavy weight. I think I'm going to create a rotation with the workouts I have following this plan!
Old 04-16-18, 11:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for all of the references, Alta! I like the idea of alternating and will look into the "Look Great in 8" plan more.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 03:21 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post

Yep, I agree with this too. I lifted heavy weights with a trainer when I was 62 and did just fine, but I had been doing strength training regularly before. And we always did a good warmup beforehand. Oddly enough, my joints feel torn up when I do more than 30 minutes of, say, the more challenging Jari workouts (RTTC, for example).

Sorry to say, I've slacked off since then and have lost muscle. Back to square one--but slowly!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 10:48 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I absolutely agree that strength work is important and very often neglected. But having worked with the seniors for many years, I see it as only part of the picture. Maintaining fexibility & good balance are just as important IMO, especially for fall prevention. Falls can be a huge issue as we age and are often the beginning of the end for many seniors. It's important to be able to bend over and do it without falling over, avoid developing a shuffling gait when walking, step over small obstacles, etc.....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 11:09 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I absolutely agree that strength work is important and very often neglected. But having worked with the seniors for many years, I see it as only part of the picture. Maintaining fexibility & good balance are just as important IMO, especially for fall prevention. Falls can be a huge issue as we age and are often the beginning of the end for many seniors. It's important to be able to bend over and do it without falling over, avoid developing a shuffling gait when walking, step over small obstacles, etc.....
Since my bone loss diagnosis years ago, I work on my balance every day. I agree on how important that is! And not just for seniors.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 11:11 AM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Yes strength is very important which is why at age 56 I still lift. And Ruth Bader Ginsburg is in her 80's and lifts. In fact I was at the bookstore last week and her trainer has published a book outlining the program he developed for her. I didn't get a chance to look at it but there was a funny article in Politico about her routine several months ago.
Stephen Colbert also did a segment a few months (maybe more than that now) where he went through RBG's workout with her. She kicked his butt!

Tags
aging, ernestine shepherd, heavy lifting, lifting, muscle building, over 50, periodization plan, sarcopenia, senior strength training, strength training