Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-17, 06:13 PM  
ardnas

This just popped up in my Facebook newsfeed about the FasciaBlaster...

This was posted by Public Citizen (a consumer advocacy non-profit) re: the FasciaBlaster...

"Be on the look out for scams like this one."
Old 07-26-17, 06:52 PM  
sherry7899

Sandra-thank you! I have just the VF friend to share that with. I appreciate you posting this.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 07:05 PM  
Lannette

I'm still using and loving all of mine. There is major backstory to this article. I'm not going to get into it in deference to VF guidelines.

Do your research, believe what you will.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 07:09 PM  
ardnas

I have one and like it for massage & pain management - I never go as hard as Ashley has said to and only bruised the first time I used it. I think this is a good tool when used with a light hand.

I am not saying it is a scam or that it is bad, but I do think some people were excessive in their use/force and I think some of Ashley's claims are bogus, but even so I would buy another if mine broke.
Old 07-26-17, 07:15 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
i have one and like it for massage & pain management - i never go as hard as ashley has said to and only bruised the first time i used it. I think this is a good tool when used with a light hand.

I am not saying it is a scam or that it is bad, but i do think some people were excessive in their use/force and i think some of ashley's claims are bogus, but even so i would buy another if mine broke.
ita

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 08:29 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I have one and like it for massage & pain management - I never go as hard as Ashley has said to and only bruised the first time I used it. I think this is a good tool when used with a light hand.

I am not saying it is a scam or that it is bad, but I do think some people were excessive in their use/force and I think some of Ashley's claims are bogus, but even so I would buy another if mine broke.
this
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 08:54 AM  
leigh1673

Thank you for posting. More people need to be aware of the potential harm that can come from this device. The fact that this device ever got associated with true, authentic "fascia release" is quite upsetting.

There is a VERY good reason that Ashley Black won't release the finding of her "double blind (ha!) study" that she conducted in Tampa. And that is because the "study" was a complete and utter joke.

I'm not even going to get into her shady business practices. Or the fact that she immediately BLOCKS anybody on her Facebook page who isn't a rabid fascia blaster cheerleader. Really, I could go on and on ... and on. But if you are interested, there is a VERY good, supportive closed group on Facebook where you can find a lot of scary and sad stories from women whose lives and health have been turned upside down as a result of using the device EXACTLY as Ashley instructed them to do (for cellulite and fat reduction).
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:28 AM  
bubbles76

Maybe Ashley Black should have just promoted this item for pain management and just talked about cellulite reduction as an added potential side "perk", if you will. The fact that Lannette uses it on her clients for pain management and even uses it on herself for pain management leads me to believe that the product does have some merit. Unfortunately, Ashley marketed it wrong. She should not be encouraging pain or bruising. However, the article does not appear very balanced.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:34 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
T........ and on. But if you are interested, there is a VERY good, supportive closed group on Facebook where you can find a lot of scary and sad stories from women whose lives and health have been turned upside down as a result of using the device EXACTLY as Ashley instructed them to do (for cellulite and fat reduction).
Ashley comes off as a quack/tacky marketing queen but honestly, some people can have their life turned upside down by owning a gerbil. Common sense isn't so common any more. You can use any myofascial tool too aggressively. I've seen women go after their cellulite with pure venom. Seriously, body hatred and "more is always better" mentality can turn any tool into a weapon. The early quote from one of the "victims" hits the nail on the head: "..I was desperate...it’s almost instant gratification you get when you drag that claw across your skin and you get bruises...". IMHO, she's a victim of disturbed thinking, not myofascial work.

If you educate yourself and start sensibly and listen to your body, myofascial tools can be very therapeutic.
Old 07-27-17, 10:39 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I have mixed feelings about the FB.

The before/after pictures on the facebook group are incredibly persuasive and while I'm sure the people who do have results are totally legit, there's not really any dissenting opinions or people discouraged after months with no change, which makes me conclude that it is heavily filtered/monitored.

I was very gung ho over the wintertime and I didn't mind the bruising at first, but I could never get past a bruising phase, even with the bruise lotion, etc. which made me discouraged and stop doing it after a while. Especially since it became shorts season and I just didn't want to have to explain bruises.

Also, I don't know if it's related or not, but not long after I started blasting my arms, I developed tennis elbow in my right arm. Don't get me wrong, I think the tennis elbow was waiting to happen due to my repetitive desk job motions, but I don't know if the knobs of the blaster exacerbated the area and put it over the edge. I'm not blaming the blaster, but it did make me become gun shy to keep pursuing it especially paired with my complaint of constant bruising (to be fair, I bruise easily). Three+ months later and I'm still recovering from the tennis elbow although it's improved significantly.

However, I use it on my calves/shins fairly regularly and it feels fantastic, and rarely bruises. I definitely feel looser in this area and it's worth it for this purpose.

Tags
ashley black, ashley black guru, body dysmorphia, buyer beware, cellulite, fascia, fascia blaster, fasciablaster, fasciablaster injuries, injuries