Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-17, 07:38 PM  
lorajc

Anyone Have a Teeter's Hang Up Inversion Table?

Hi.....

I have several disc herniations and facet joint issues.....and want to get one of these as I know from working in Neurosurgery that Traction is the best remedy for Herniations and such.

Just curious if anyone with chronic pain...and issues like I have....have this and if so....what are your thoughts? I have read good things about it....but I wanted to hear from this Community.....because I've never seen anything mentioned about it. Plus it looks like it would feel excellent!!! Have you ever had a PT perform manual traction on you in a treatment? oh so soothing!!

Thanks in advance.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 08:15 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I am interested in responses, too. My chiropractor keeps recommending I get one. I've read good and bad. For some people it can increase back pain, and they are not recommended for anyone with hypertension or detached retina or various other health problems. For others, I've read they are very helpful. My main concern is the footprint it will take up in the house. I'm on a strict "no more gadgets" plan.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 08:43 AM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm on a strict "no more gadgets" plan.
LOL - and that is why you got rid of the Supreme Pilates!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 11:19 AM  
spotted zebra

I had one and ended up giving it away to a friend of a friend with back problems. I heard she gave it away too. I didn't have back problems so can't comment on that aspect.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 11:44 AM  
Salamander

I've had a Teeter for a couple years. Really love it! i don't have serious back issues, but due to falling on my tailbone a few years ago and a mild case of scoliosis, I often have a tight/sore lower back. I use it 3-5 times a week for about 2-3 minutes (usually before bed). You don't need to invert very far to get the benefits. It does take a fair amount of floor space. Luckily I have a loft area right outside my bedroom that I don't use for any other purpose.

Another item that might help is Lo-Bak Trax spinal traction device. It's a Lori Grenier/ Shark Tank item and it's on QVC. If I didn't have my Teeter already I would have bought one. Actually I might still buy one for travel, or if I'm watching TV and don't want to get up, put on my shoes and get on the table.

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 12:56 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
LOL - and that is why you got rid of the Supreme Pilates!
Exactly! That and conking myself in the face with it and giving myself a black eye. I'm such an accident prone klutz, with a Teeter I'd probably end up spinning around in the thing.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 05:56 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

I have a teeter inversion table. I have had both a herniated and bulging disc which are age related. My physical therapist recommended the teeter. Exercises and the teeter eliminated the pain in my lower leg from the bulging disc. The teeter helped lessen the numbness in my thigh caused by the herniated disc, the extreme pain from that was treated with a week of oral steroids. I don't use the teeter as often now.

Recently, my DH was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. He was in a lot of pain in his legs and butt and had trouble walking. He went for physical therapy. He told the therapist about my collection of exercise equipment including the inversion table. She got all excited and said to him, " use it, use it". The pt exercises did little to help him, while the inversion table helped immensely. His situation is such that he has to use it on a regular basis or pain comes back (but not as bad as before). Neither of us has the teeter inverted that much either.

Pat, I still have some concerns of using the teeter when other health issues are present. I have arthritic knees which bother me once in a while. Is it safe if one has knee issues, for instance. I noticed also that after 5 minutes on the teeter, my heartrate lowers by 10 beats. Negative or positive effect? I take my time rising from the teeter and getting out of it.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 08:13 PM  
nevertoolate

I've had my Teeter Hang Up inversion table for several years. I use it for intermittent back pain and overall "tightness" in the torso/back/neck area and it's very helpful. I'll use it for 5-10 minutes once or twice a day. I can completely invert, but my PT said that isn't really necessary. A more gentle incline is still therapeutic and feels wonderful.

One time I got a prescription for a temporary rental of one of those pneumatic traction devices you strap into while lying on the floor. It was cumbersome to use and didn't work nearly as well as the Teeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My main concern is the footprint it will take up in the house...
I don't have a large workout room. Mine doesn't take up very much space, because I keep it folded up and leaning against the wall when I'm not using it. It takes less than 60 seconds to set it up. When I'm done, I flip it over into its storage position (kind of like folding up an ironing board), grab the handles and "walk" it over to the wall. It's not difficult to maneuver and I'm not a big person (68 years old, 5'4", 118 lbs).

I bought mine through Costco. I wasn't sure if it would be helpful and I wanted an easy way to return it, if needed. I would definitely buy it again. It's also a very well-made product. It came with a dvd from a chiropractor that has some really good general back strengthening exercises (not on the table), as well as some ways to stretch and exercise using the inversion table. Not a fancy production, but very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 09:39 PM  
vplan

I also got mine in Costo and love it. I don't like doing yoga or any other stretches, and I feel it make a huge difference for me. I am using it on an off.. I don't have any issues, but I have a sitting jobs, so I feel it is one of the best equipment I've bought. I have also Teeter Hang Ups EZ-Up Gravity Boots but this is just no comparison. Using boots is just too hard...
Old 01-15-17, 09:56 AM  
spotted zebra

I didn't feel like inversion was safe for me personally for medical reasons due to my own history, and I hated the amount of pressure I would feel in my face and around my eyes.

I have a reclining massage chair at home which feels wonderful on the back. Even though I don't have serious back issues now and I didn't when I owned my inversion table, the reclining massage chair helped get me through two back injuries I had as a result of two different accidents.

There are many interesting gadgets out there for the back and it's nice that there are as many choices as there are. If I were to suffer from back pain again I'd buy a Back2Life device to use alongside my massage chair for its continuous passive motion.

https://www.getback2life.com/watch-the-show
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, herniated disc, inversion tables, lo-bak trax gadget, retina