Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-15, 05:10 AM  
daisyduke

Cycling weeks of high rep with weeks of low rep

I read that cathedral does 3 weeks high rep and then 3 weeks low rep. Has anyone tried this? I notice I plateau after a few weeks in any program, and I'm wondering if this might help. Heavy lifters really seem to think that high rep is a waste of time though, so I'm not really sure.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 06:36 AM  
bubbles76

This is what i used to do, only four weeks instead of three. I will also throw in a moderate rep month. For example, i will do a month of something like Slow and Heavy followed by Jari Love workouts followed by something else, total body usually. As far as it being a waste of time, i think it depends on what your goals are.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 09:13 AM  
laurajhawk

Yes, I've done this for most of this year, using 3-5 week phases. I did two rounds of (Power of 10/Body Beast/Les Mills Pump). Now I've destabilized that a bit, because I have SO many workouts I want to use, but I'm still planning to do 3-6 week phases and mix it up between high weight/low rep, low weight/high rep, mid/mid, and bodyweight/barre. For me, it helps a LOT mentally ... I'm with a program long enough to get the hang of it and see progress, but not long enough to get bored ... it helps deter injury because I'm not doing the same thing for months on end, and yes I do think it helps to avoid plateaus.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 03:36 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I read an article in Shape Magazine years ago, that recommended doing a low rep, med rep and high rep total body workout each week. They said to vary the exercises. Wish I'd saved the article.

Might be worth trying except total body low rep workouts are not easy to find on dvd.
Old 11-07-15, 10:15 AM  
Izzy

I think, but could be wrong, that Heidi Tanner of the Firm had a program similar to the low, mid and higher weights and I think she suggested going 4 weeks at each level. This was many years ago and maybe it wasn't Heidi but another Firm instructor. But the claim was this was the best way to shock your body out of plateaus and continue to build strength and endurance.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 01:26 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I definitely think it is good to vary the emphasis of workouts from week to week. It can get boring to always do the same thing. My usual weekly routine mixes up high and low rep workouts, but I like to change what types of workouts I do, such as pyramid, circuit, split routines, opposing muscle groups, etc..
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 09:08 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I read an article in Shape Magazine years ago, that recommended doing a low rep, med rep and high rep total body workout each week. They said to vary the exercises. Wish I'd saved the article.

Might be worth trying except total body low rep workouts are not easy to find on dvd.
The new book Strong (sequel to NROLW) alternates low, medium and high rep workouts every week during the second and third phases, known as undulating periodization.

I think there were some people doing this with STS by doing a workout from each meso every week. It can also be done with the Drop Two Sizes set, although each phase has different exercises.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 06:31 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
The new book Strong (sequel to NROLW) alternates low, medium and high rep workouts every week during the second and third phases, known as undulating periodization.
Is it one week low reps, one week medium reps, and one week high reps?
Or - is within the same week, there's a low rep, medium rep, and high rep workout? I think Debbie S was doing that.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 08:17 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Is it one week low reps, one week medium reps, and one week high reps?
Or - is within the same week, there's a low rep, medium rep, and high rep workout? I think Debbie S was doing that.
It's within the same week. On Amazon, you can look inside the book at the workout schedules.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 08:24 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
It's within the same week. On Amazon, you can look inside the book at the workout schedules.
Thanks Sue! I ordered it from the library. Interesting - the book isn't even published yet and there are already 4 requests before me!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high rep, low reps