Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-15, 02:02 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It may depend on the amount of slow vs fast twitch muscle fibers that each of us has. That may account for different reactions.
Old 08-24-15, 02:06 PM  
Aunt Famous

I've long been intrigued about Margaret's stuff. Could y'all please recommend a good starter DVD? I'm really partial to workouts that let me break it down into 15 minutes bites. (Yes, I am a short-attention span exerciser.)

Merci.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 05:47 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Aunt Famous, I have a few of her DVDs now and so far my favorites are Getting Better and Beauty to the Bone.

Getting Better provides a full body workout which Margaret designed after having foot surgery, so it is all seated or on a mat. It comes in really handy if you've got an injury in your foot or ankle, but even if you don't it's a great workout. It has a warmup, upper body weights done seated or lying face up, a transition between upper and lower body, then lower body and abs on the mat. It ends with a brief stretch. It is a VF classic.

Beauty to the Bone has two separate workouts, each composed of the upper body/lower body and abs format. On any of her DVDs you can do a 30 minute workout and split train, or you can do it all, and I often will just do a couple of body parts a day for a quick something after a walk or yoga. I like B2B because one upper body features presses and flyes for chest and the second is pushups based, and it has a lot of variety. B2B has a nice background and Margaret works with a partner.

Neither of these is from the leotards and leg warmers era (not that that matters to me - I have the tee shirt from that rock concert). You can get good previews of her workouts at www.bodyelectrictv.com and she has sales often.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 06:10 PM  
Aunt Famous

Grazie, Pat. Both of those DVDs sound A+! And I appreciate the tip about her sales.

Yay!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 07:55 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Aunt Famous, I would also recommend her Unplugged dvds. They are from her body electric show on pbs and each workout is around 23 minutes and cover upper, lower and ab exercises in each show, though not all the muscle groups. You have to string a few of those episodes together to get a complete total body workout. They are chaptered by exercise so you could easily skip around to get the muscle groups and time frame you want. Even though I haven't done her recently, I love MR and her workouts. Good stuff.

To keep this on topic, I don't get those types of DOMS from MR that Pat described, but I do high rep workouts the most so maybe that's why? I will occasionally get them when I throw a Jari in there though, so I'm not really sure what the deal is with me .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doms, high rep, high rep/low weight, margaret richard, muscle soreness, slow twitch