Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-15, 11:36 AM  
lorajc

Possible to Get Great Muscle Definition with Lighter Weights?

I'm 56 and have been working out since I'm 28. As many of you know, I have cervical disc and lumbar disc problems....my doc doesn't want me to lift traditional reallly heavy weights, he says no more than 10, but I find I can lift up to 15 - 17 but I do have some problems and have reduced pain with kettlebells, however, I need to change it up and go back to weights.

So I was wondering, if you have a good base (but I have fat all over me) do you think it's possible to get good muscle definition with lighter weights 3-10 pounds and a good diet?

What are your fave lighter weight programs and dvds?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:44 AM  
deineira

I think Tonique seems like a program where people are lifting very light weight and getting excellent results. Her workouts are primarily body weight. HDM also yields nice results and he does not use heavy weights (2-4 pounds at most). TA is also a program that gives folks excellent results with low weights. Dream Body would be another program that is effective and does not involve much over 3#. I am not a Jillian Michael's expert, but her workouts don't seem to require anything above 10# either. ART also rarely uses weights over 10# (although she does occasionally).

I don't think any of these programs will yield bulging muscles, but they will definitely give you definition.

I'm sure there are others, these are just a few off the top of my head.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:46 AM  
Kitten

Oh, absolutely.

I'm going to say-shocker-Jari Love. The first time I did Ripped & Chiseled, I was sooo sore the next day. That was after I finished a power90 rotation & kept at it with classic Firms.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 12:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have decent muscle definition all around from a combination of barre/ballet & swimming. I do Barre3, SBF, Balletone, Ruah, Jessica Smith, and other various low impact/low weight workouts. I certainly don't have bulging muscles, lol, but at 57, I think I look pretty good! I can't lift heavy because of knee and wrist issues, and honestly I never enjoyed lifting heavy. I like kettle bells, am not doing them right now due to a shoulder issue, but hope to get back to them. But my KBs are not heavy either.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 01:02 PM  
Chomper

Yes.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 01:04 PM  
glowacki

It's mostly diet. Don't have to get heavy with the weights. I get nice arm definition from yoga (and sufficient strength).
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 01:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

absolutely, for all the reasons that have been posted so far.

my favorite high rep, low weight workout series is Slim Series. I've gotten results with that. the firm is another one - got my first round of body definition with it. at the time that I did the firm, the heaviest I lifted was using an 18# curl bar w/o any plates on it. that would be equivalent to 2, 9# dumbbells.

with dumbbells, I rarely go higher than 10# in each hand.

Jari is another one that is the same style. in RTTC, the highest she uses is 8# DB, and the rest of the time in RTTC she uses 5#.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 01:17 PM  
fidget012

What a coincidence! I just did JL Ripped & Chiseled today. Yowza!!! :-)
fidget012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 02:58 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think this is a YMMV thing, but certainly many people do get nice muscle definition from lighter weights. Of course, it helps if you body fat is low so the muscles can be seen.

For other people, I don't think it works as well.
Old 07-28-15, 05:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

bzar - I like Slim Series too. I like some cardio effect with light weights so SS suits me better than something like Jari Love.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high rep, high rep/low weight, muscle definition