Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-14, 09:53 AM  
Vee

The advantage of subscribing to most streaming websites is that you can access the content in multiple ways. Each provider is different, but apart from Xbox, ipad, computer, some also make their programs available on Roku. So you can workout with a big tv or on the terrace with your ipad with the sky above and the wind in your hair.

I have a Roku connected to my big tv. Many streaming fitness websites offer the option of access as a "channel" on Roku.

I also have a western digital media player hooked up to my tv. I have ripped all my DVDs as video files on the media player. All my DVDs have been converted into the equivalent of downloads and I can flip through all my workouts with a remote. My Western digital player also has the option of playing youtubeOn the big screen tv. Youtube has surprisingly high quality free workouts.

I connect my laptop or ipad via HDMI to the tv if I am subscribed to a streaming service that is only accessible at a website. As of now, I don't use any such site.

My favourite streaming sites are dailyburn and yoga today. Myyogaonline is pretty good too. I am sure I will enjoy udaya, but I have too many yoga videos right now to do justice to udaya streaming. Someday I plan to sign up.

I no longer feel tempted to get DVDs or even to buy downloads. I like streaming sites because I never need to repeat a workout.

If I were to lose my entire DVD collection, I would miss only Ultimate Yogi, Chalene's Turbo Kick/Jam and a few of my KCMs. These are my most beloved Instructors. The options available via streaming would keep me too busy to notice the rest are missing.

I agree that as of now, the big name DVD instructors have better production values and music, but I think it is just a matter of time before that becomes available on streaming too. A lot of streaming providers are beginning to offer DVD content at their streaming sites like acacia and Giaim.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 08:38 PM  
horsemom2

I download and burn the routines onto dvdr after I edit them and add music.
I have gotten so spoiled working out to great MUsic that streaming will never be my #1 choice.
I can stream youtube to my HDTV with internet apps but rarely do.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 12:22 AM  
Leonana

I workout to Jessica Smith's You Tube channel. I do it one of three ways. My Kindle, my laptop, or the Roku on our big living room tv. I use the Plex Channel on the Roku to stream You Tube. You have to download the Plex App onto your regular PC, so you can create a queue that will show up on your Roku Plex Channel.

I tried hooking up my Kindle to our smaller tv in the bedroom, but it didn't work. It's the first generation, and I think it might not have the capability to stream it through the tv. I'd like to get another Roku for our bedroom.
Old 03-14-14, 12:42 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I am a big fan of Jessica Smith's YouTube channel -- streaming these workouts equals about 1/3rd of my workouts each week. I have also organized my playlists as I sometimes use YouTube for yoga, rebounding and Gilad workouts too. I have tons of other stuff there too but don't use 'em much, if at all. If you want to check out my semi-organized playlists, head to this link. Hope this is a good introduction to the world of streaming!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 06:45 AM  
naturallove

The meat of my workout practice consists of Terri Walsh's A.R.T. workouts and I them! They are only available streaming, but cost about $6.99 per month--which is truly a bargain. Lots of variety, and Terri adds new workouts fairly frequently (usually at least once a week or so normally). The main workouts are the mat workouts, but there are also bonus workouts using the Ugi ball, rebounder, and there are even a couple of cardio walks. As of now, there are about 67 mat workouts, at least 15+ quick tone/cardio workouts, and other bonuses such as the dynamic cardio sequences.

I currently stream theses from my iPad, but as soon as I can find the cord that connects my iPad to my televison, I'll stream that way. I also do Jessica Smith's youtube workouts from time to time (love her!) and have subscribed to YogaVibes in the past. I hope this is helpful!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 04:48 PM  
dianestjohn

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to describe all this. You have given me so many resources and such great advice and I'm going to try some of your suggestions. You guys rock
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 07:15 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I also love the Gymbox. I've tried a few others, and there sure seems to be something for everybody. Gymbox is my fave and has step workouts, new ones ever week, and these are becoming harder and harder to find. It also has piliates, barre (under dance) kickbox, yoga, treadmill, bike, strength and a couple more. They usually add one or two workouts per week per category. There is a free trial, as there is for most of the sites below (except ZGym, I think).

Gaiam has a lot of yoga, pilates and int workouts. Most are published workouts, so high production values and several background exercisers.)

Zuzka has the Zgym site, her's are short hard core drill workouts.

Netfit, but a lot of their stuff is free on youtubt too. Bootcampish type workouts, intensity varies from beg/int to hard core.

Daily Burn as well as the others listed below.

For free youtube- JessicaSmithTV, NetFit, BeFit, Jenny Ford (has step workouts), and there are more that people love. I'm not the biggest yoga fan and don't do pilates, so not sure of the youtube channels for those but there are some good ones.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 07:57 PM  
sunday

Not sure what all has been mentioned, but here are some sites I have belonged to:

FitnessGlo (Petra Kolber and Amy Dixon do workouts for them)
My Yoga Online (currently belong)
Yoga Today
Suzanne Bowen (posts three new workouts a week)

and the list goes on!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 05:40 PM  
DianaH

I have horrible internet, very slow, spotty and unreliable. I stream from udaya.com but download to my computer. The workouts I like best I burn to DVD. I feel like a dinosaur, but for where I live right now this is what I have to do.
DianaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 01:19 AM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

Here's a good list of online/streaming workout options: http://www.moneycrashers.com/best-on...t-videos-free/
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon prime videos, digital video, download to dvd, samsung, streaming video, streaming workouts