Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-13, 09:32 PM  
mmis29

Spri slanted risers, Freestyle step risers or weight bench???

hi all! i am coming up to the end of STS meso 2, and realized i needed some more equipment to continue safely. i have the valor bd-9 squat racks on the way to me this week. now i will need a surface that is high enough to reach the chest press position. so i've been looking into my options, and there are three possibilities....

1. buy the spri slanted risers and 4 additional regular risers - but wow they are pricey!!! $70 just for those two risers, and then i'd still need 4 more on top of that.

2. buy the "Freestyle step" risers and 4 additional regular risers - not sure about these, not a whole lot of information/reviews out there on these. i'm not sure if one end has to sit on the floor, or how high i could make the total bench with these. better price point but kind of a gamble. Does anyone have these, if so what do you think of them?

or do i just toss the whole using the step as a weight bench idea and go with a weight bench?? my house is pretty small with limited storage, so if i do go with a bench it would have to be something foldable. i've been eyeing this one on amazon today, obviously a bench is immediately a bit more expensive and not so convenient from a storage perspective, but more flexible overall http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PFID.../dp/B000R11G2I

ahhhh decisions, decisions! please help an indecisive vfer choose which option!

Thanks
Old 11-11-13, 11:59 PM  
nevertoolate

Marianne,

I bought the Freestyle step because it was cheaper. With the step on a slant, one end does rest on the floor and it had a tendency to rock. I didn't like its lack of stability and took it back to the store. I bought the regular Club Step and the SPRI risers. I'm happy with it. I do think it's more stable than the Freestyle. I use my step primarily as a weight bench. The risers all stack neatly and the bench goes on its end against the wall. It's all light-weight and easy to move.

I've thought about buying more risers. Getting the High Step costs less at Amazon than buying two sets of risers and you get the top, too, giving you the smaller step http://www.amazon.com/The-Step-F1180...ords=club+step. Just a thought. I haven't done this yet...

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 08:18 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Like mmis29, I have limited storage space. I own a Club Step, the Club High Step referenced above, and Spri Slanted Risers. I've also managed to accumulate 14+ risers over the years. Everything has been used, sometimes on a daily basis. Everything has proven easy to pull out, store (hide!) and put away, so I have no desire to own a weight bench now. My Spri slanted risers are very stable, too. Honestly, I can't imagine not owning this stuff.

Hope this helps!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 08:18 AM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

I have the slanted risers, and in theory that is a good option, because they can be used one on each side, or together to be == 3 risers. So it is a flexible option that doesn't take up space. And they should be pretty steady.

BUT, my risers were flawed. My step does not sit on it tightly, like I think it should. There is still a little movement of the step rocking back and forth. I should have returned them and tried another pair, but I never did. I've never heard anyone else make this complaint, so I assume most people have better luck than me. If they didn't rock, I would love them.

I second what Ann says, to just get a High step instead of more risers. That was a great purchase.

Ultimately a weight bench is what I want, but I have space issues and won't do that in my current house.
Old 11-12-13, 08:32 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
BUT, my risers were flawed. My step does not sit on it tightly, like I think it should. There is still a little movement of the step rocking back and forth. I should have returned them and tried another pair, but I never did. I've never heard anyone else make this complaint, so I assume most people have better luck than me. If they didn't rock, I would love them.
I've heard this complaint before, which is why it took me so long to risk buying them. Fortunately, I haven't experienced any rocking with my slanted risers. Just curious, Lisa -- where did you buy yours? I bought mine directly from Spri.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 09:24 AM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

I bought them from Amazon. I just looked at order and it doesn't say another seller, so I'm not sure who fulfilled the order. They were $50 in April, 2008. Now I'm really irritated with myself for not exchanging them.

But that was almost 6 years ago now. I'm thinking whatever defect my production run had is probably gone now.

I do think a working pair of slanted risers plus a good amount of regular risers with 2 step toppers (small and large) is the the best option in terms of space, flexibility and usefulness. It is a big investment all at once, but I accumulated the parts over time.
Old 11-12-13, 09:35 AM  
horusosiris

I would go with the weight bench. This is my most often used piece of equipment. I have a high step, step and slanted risers but I prefer and love my bench. The flat, incline, decline bench gives you so many different options. With the squat rack, I definitely feel that the bench is the better option. The Body Solid bench is a good investment but you may be able to find it cheaper at other stores or if you check out some Black Friday deals you may be able to get a really good price.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 10:15 AM  
mmis29

Thank you so much for the responses. I will knock the Freestyle risers out of the running, Ann/Nevertoolate's response confirmed what I thought may be the case so I'd rather not go that route.

Hmmm several folks have also said they've had stability issues with the slanted risers too and for the price, they should be flawless! I can't get over the price for two pieces of plastic

I think the best long-term solution is the foldable bench. The price isn't so bad, and it seems people get lots of use out of them. I love how it works right out of the box and folds up for easy storage.

What I need to do is bite the bullet and whip out the credit card Amazon, here I come!

Thanks everyone, you rock as usual!
Old 11-12-13, 10:59 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Do you have storage space underneath your bed? Mine is full, but that's a good place for a foldable bench!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 11:26 AM  
mmis29

I do, but unfortunately my workout area is just about as far away from my bedroom as you can possibly get in my house.

I just caved and bought the foldable Body Solid bench, It folds down to about 6" so I plan on storing it upright in a closet...somehow! I'll be redoing my whole workout gadget closet next week

Oh the things an at home exerciser gets excited about

Tags
freestyle step, slanted risers, spri slanted risers, sts, the step, weight bench