Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-13, 10:08 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Question ? for Mandy (or any JV 'expert')

Hi Mandy, if you don't mind I would really appreciate tapping into your expertise!
I'm beginning Joyce Vedral's 21-Day Down 2 Sizes Knockout rotation which calls for Definition, Fast Forward, and Cougar. I don't have Cougar (and don't particular want to buy another DVD) so in your opinion which would be a good substitute? I also have Nonstop and Speedy Nonstop (but prefer the latter since I remember it being shorter).

Thanks so much!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 05:31 PM  
Bebop

Not Mandy but have been using Joyce just as long as Mandy.

IMHO - use Speedy Non-stop. Definition will be your endurance and shaping workout, Fast Forward will give you strength - you'll be able to lift heavier than definition and Speedy Non-stop will be a great Total body workout!

Speedy Non-stop is one of my favorite workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 06:50 PM  
Mandy

I agree with Bebop. I wrote a personal review of Cougar and said that it was similar to Nonstop and Speedy nonstop (supergiant sets). Similar in that its the same type of workout and Joyce forgets exercises on some of the first sets(in Nonstop and cougar). I wrote Cougar out on paper so I could do it on my own with my own music at my own tempo. She goes too fast for me to use heavy weights. Well, I can keep up on the floorwork but I use different weights on shoulders than biceps.

Also Speedy Nonstop, nonstop and Cougar all have squat variations for the lower body(no lunges) mixed with back work.

I love Speedy nonstop. To me, its no dread and over fast and the abs are awesome.

The real difference between Cougar and Speedy is that Cougar definitely does way more exercises.

For example, in Speedy, there are 3 exercises for triceps(you do a total of 9 sets). Where in Cougar there are 9 exercises for triceps(that's kind of overkill to me personally). with biceps, there are 2 exercises in Speedy and with Cougar, there are 5.

For abs, speedy does 5 exercises at 15 reps each and you repeat it 3 times. With Cougar, its 10 exercises(but no oblique work). Speedy has 2 ab workouts on the DVD which is much better.

Either way, Nonstop or Speedy nonstop could sub for Cougar.

Good luck!
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 10:45 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thank you both so much!
I really do prefer Speedy so am glad about that. And I can't keep straight about which are supersets, giant sets, super duper sets... I just wanted to stay relatively true to the spirit of the rotation, so you've helped a lot!!
Old 06-02-13, 08:18 AM  
Bebop

Lucky Star,

Don't obsess about staying true to the rotations.

For example, you could just use Fast Forward and definition and get an awesome workout. You could do Speedy Non-stop twice a week and then
definition as a total body.

You can even play around with definition and instead of using it as the full pyramid you could use it as the partial pyramid only doing three rounds- light/middle/heavy.

I love Joyce and over the years I have mixed and matched and played around with the workouts.

I am currently doing my own "tank top rotation" and mixing and matching Cathe with Joyce and having nice results.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 10:19 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Oh, good to know, Bebop. Definition in particular moves so fast and can be killer!
I recently re-acquired some of Joyce's books too; they're great to read and I like that they're so easy to follow (and of course you don't have to move at a breakneck pace lol).
Old 06-02-13, 11:49 AM  
Sissy B

Joyce usually comes up with rotations to push whatever DVDs she is interested in selling at the time so it really is very easy to find a substitute if you don't have a particular DVD that she lists.

In the past I have looked at her rotations that use all of her DVDs and picked out the weeks that include her DVDs that I have and like. Although she feels differently, I personally don't feel that I need to buy every DVD that Joyce releases.

And I make Joyce's DVDs work for me. If I use the Just Joyce series a lot of times I just do a modified pyramid instead of doing the whole workout. Other times I will do the full workout.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 12:06 PM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm beginning Joyce Vedral's 21-Day Down 2 Sizes Knockout rotation which calls for Definition, Fast Forward, and Cougar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Don't obsess about staying true to the rotations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Joyce usually comes up with rotations to push whatever DVDs she is interested in selling at the time so it really is very easy to find a substitute if you don't have a particular DVD that she lists.

I always feel better when I read things like this. Anytime I ask Joyce what I can use as a substitute, she acts like I have to get the missing workout in order to get results. I know it's not true, but... Well, you know how it feels.

I'd like to try a rotation, but I don't have Definition or Cougar. (I didn't like either one.) However, I have lots of other DVDs. I prefer doing all of my strength training in one day and then cardio the next, rather than splits. I don't mind doing 10-20 minutes of abs work each day, though. Would anyone like to suggest a "Super Summer Slim Down & Firm Up" rotation for me? LOL I have:

Speedy, Non-Stop!
Just Arms & Just Thighs
Just Bra-Roll - Boobs & Just Butt
Bottoms Up Gold Plus!
The Fat-Burning Workout & The Bathing Suit Workout
Weight Training Made Easier & Workout 101
Quick Quartet
Fast Forward
Top Shape - It's Now or Never!
Dynamic Tension & Non-Stop!
Interval Aerobics & Easy Does It! Stretch
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 12:58 PM  
Sissy B

How long do you want to work out on your strength training days? Speedy NonStop and Quick Quartet are two of her shorter workouts so they would be great for a total body workout. The other workouts are longer. I have followed the Body for Life pattern with Joyce workouts in the past:

Mon - Upper Body
Tues - Cardio
Wed - Lower Body
Thurs - Cardio
Fri - Upper Body
Sat - Cardio

then the next week doing Lower Body on Monday and Friday and Upper Body on Wednesday. After that you continue to alternate weeks. This would work well if you want to use her longer workouts and do them as splits.

I don't have Top Shape/It's Now or Never or Dynamic Tension/NonStop.

While Interval Aerobics has some toning moves IIRC it's very different from her other workouts and could be used on one of your cardio days. Easy Does It Stretch could be used any day.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 01:51 PM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
How long do you want to work out on your strength training days?
I have plenty of free time, but I rarely do Bottoms Up Gold Plus! or Fast Forward. Once in a while is fine, but most days I don't want to do strength work for 60-90 minutes. Speedy, Non-Stop!, Quick Quartet, Just Arms, and Just Thighs are my favorites.

My favorite abs workouts are the two from Speedy, Non-Stop! and Bottoms Up Gold Plus! I rotate those all the time. Joyce told me I need to get her Just Abs! video. I told her I have all but two of those workouts on my other videos, so I just substitute. She said that won't give me results. Yeah, right. She herself said, "Anything is better than nothing," so how could me doing ANY of her abs workouts 6 days a week be wrong?
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bfl, body for life, cougar workout, joyce vedral, joyce vedral rotations, speedy non-stop