Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-13, 11:05 AM  
mmis29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyfit View Post
My experience is that age isn't a barrier to getting into great shape. You have to want it, eat incredibly clean and workout. I'm 37 and in the best shape ever. I work at it every day and plan my meals and workout and don't make excuses. It can be done at any age if you put your mind to it. My mom is in her 60s and was heavy all her life and made the decision recently to look after herself and eat well and workout. Now she has lost so much weight, is in great shape and looks 15 years younger, it can be done, don't give up. You can do it.
Thank you to Daisyfit and so many others for your encouraging words. It really helps to know that others have been successful in reaching their goals at any age. That is wonderful that your mom has made a positive lifestyle change in her 60's, how inspirational is that?! Amazing.
Old 05-12-13, 11:14 AM  
violingal3

Yeah, I can commiserate... I'm 31, but it seems like when I hit 30 things started changing in subtle ways. Where I store my extra weight seems to have "shifted" a bit, I'm eating and working out as if it were business as usual, but there has been a slow creep on the scale.

As much as I love to workout for my own mental well being and for just the way it makes me feel, I have to come to terms that it's all about diet! I am a clean eater, but I just love cooking and food in general! I really need to dial in on that, and the sooner I can get a handle on that, the better... :::sigh:::
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 12:02 PM  
blablubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
For me, it really is ALL about diet; not clean versus not clean but the amount of food. Calories are what matter for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
+1

Fitness is the route out of skinny-fatism for me, which I also don't want, so fitness is extremely important to me. In addition I can eat lots of stuff because of it, I just have to be consistant in counting it all.

I'm 36, by the way.
blablubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 12:05 PM  
darbyndoug

I am now 51 (how did that happen?), and I still love to work out... but the advanced stuff, well, my body is starting to say enough! I did lose weight this past year and the bottom line is... I restricted the calories. I feel like once I hit middle age, I had to make a conscious decision to really watch what I ate, and, yup, step on that scale alot.
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 01:26 PM  
LauraBella

I don't know your job or hobbies, but perhaps you (like me) are cursed with a very sedentary job. Perhaps your hobbies are sedentary? That loss of activity will make a difference in what you naturally maintain. You may need to reassess your calories/exercise needs based on that if you have to sit a lot. Or look for creative ways to add steps to your day.

Of course, take a hard honest look at your diet. And not just your calories and fat. But your nurtrients. Are you eating for proper digestion, stamina, and energy? Are you eating enough and often enough?

Don't forget to consider the whole picture: sleep schedule, medications, supplements, other health issues? Thyroid or blood sugar issues?

Input from a doctor, nutritionist, or trainer is an option.

And consider WHAT workouts you are doing, not just minutes. Maybe you need to reconsider your cardio to strength ratio. Work smarter not longer.
Old 05-12-13, 02:44 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

My body has never changed unless I change what I put in my mouth.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 02:45 PM  
bubbles76

I'm 37 and I have recently lost some weight doing some very subtle things. First, I had to start with my eating. I was living in a hotel for a year, and although I cooked most of the time, it became harder to cook all the time. Even the food you think is healthy can still make you gain weight if the portions aren't right. So the first thing was to lower the portion sizes. The second thing was to cut down on eating out (yes, that included my beloved Starbucks custom Chai Lattes, which I now may have 2-3 times a month instead of 2 times a week). Then I switched to eating six smaller meals a day. Yea, never thought I'd do that. I also cut down the sugar in my tea. Lastly, I quit stressing about it. When I kept thinking about how big my belly was and focusing on other things I didn't like about myself, it just made me sad.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 03:02 PM  
gigi

Deleted...my post was to whiney...I feel your pain though. And for me, I have to be very strict 80% of the time and count calories like mad.
Old 05-12-13, 03:11 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm 37 and I have recently lost some weight doing some very subtle things. First, I had to start with my eating. I was living in a hotel for a year, and although I cooked most of the time, it became harder to cook all the time. Even the food you think is healthy can still make you gain weight if the portions aren't right. So the first thing was to lower the portion sizes. The second thing was to cut down on eating out (yes, that included my beloved Starbucks custom Chai Lattes, which I now may have 2-3 times a month instead of 2 times a week). Then I switched to eating six smaller meals a day. Yea, never thought I'd do that. I also cut down the sugar in my tea. Lastly, I quit stressing about it. When I kept thinking about how big my belly was and focusing on other things I didn't like about myself, it just made me sad.
Great advice, Bubbles. I especially like what I bolded. Subtle changes are sustainable and make us feel less like we are depriving ourselves.
And thanks for the reminder to stop stressing over those little "imperfections". The size of my waist doesn't seem to worry anyone but me. Nobody has ever pointed out to me that I've gained weight, even if I have. I think the people around me don't really care! So why am I stressing out over my thighs and butt?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 05:27 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I'm 42, I have found even moreso as I get older that it really doesnt matter too much what type of exercise I do, it all comes down to that four letter word....D-I-E-T.

I did an experiment in Jaunary, I did a self-made Cathe LIS/XTrain rotation. I ended up working out 21 out of 31 days for the month and didnt change my diet at all, which wasnt a horrible diet to start with but definitely nowhere as clean as it could be. I lost 1-2 lbs, I did get stronger and my arms looked a bit more defined, but no appreciable scale loss and my lower body which is the hardest area to shape up (I'm a pear) was a tad less jiggly.

Then I started watching my diet more closely and just did whatever workout I felt like, sometimes only working out 3-4 days a week. I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks and definitely lost body fat as my mini muffin top had about disappeared!

This is basically true for me too. Less exercise leads to weight loss-- probably because I can better control my eating? Yoga works too, probably because it makes me more aware and I'm less likely to eat mindlessly. I'm in my 30's.

Tags
over 50, significant weight loss, success stories, tosca reno, weightloss