Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-13, 09:28 AM  
RoseOOPs

I'm 66, been working out most of my life. I gained weight from menopause. I use to be a pear now I'm a cross between an apple and pear. I exercise to keep me healthy. I suffer from PAD. If I don't move it gets worst. So instead of having surgery (did that once) I walk, dance, kickbox etc, plus I enjoy it. Exercise has numerous health benefits. To lose fat it starts in the kitchen. Someone once said "You can not out run the donut"
RoseOOPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:55 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmis29 View Post
I've never consistently kept a diary, now is as good a time as any to start
There are lots of websites and a great app (Lose It!) for keeping a food diary. You may be really surprised about your intake.

BTW, getting older doesn't have to mean weight gain. You just have to pay attention to your lifestyle.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Exercise is for keeping healthy--for being strong & flexible, for having stamina and endurance during the day, for growing older with as much grace as I can.

Exercise and eating to nourish my body are my very best insurance program, and they are two things that are in my control regarding health and aging.
Oooh - nicely put, Demeris!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:02 AM  
loverly7

I just wanted to chime in and agree with what the previous poster said. I cannot recommend the LoseIt! app strongly enough. It is a wonderful tool for me and I have recommended it to a lot of people, including a couple of doctors. I used to think I was eating a lot fewer calories than I really was. The LoseIt! app helped me to realize that and I lost over 30 pounds with it. Unfortunately, some of it has come back now because although I record my eating and exercise in there, I haven't been following the recommended amounts for me with my goals. I intend to really start following the plan. At this point, I don't even know why I haven't, except that I got out of the habit. Well, heck ya'll, no time like the present. I'm going to start right this minute, TODAY, and start following it again.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:04 AM  
RoseOOPs

One more thing that I learned thru out the years is you need to move through out the day. It's not doing 1 hr of 30 minutes of exercise, but what you do during the day. If you sit most of the day try getting up every hour or so and move. Go for a walk, play with the kids, clean the house work in the yard. Moving is what keeps me young. Also while I'm moving I'm not eating.
RoseOOPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:06 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseOOPs View Post
I'm 66, been working out most of my life. I gained weight from menopause. I use to be a pear now I'm a cross between an apple and pear. I exercise to keep me healthy. I suffer from PAD. If I don't move it gets worst. So instead of having surgery (did that once) I walk, dance, kickbox etc, plus I enjoy it. Exercise has numerous health benefits. To lose fat it starts in the kitchen. Someone once said "You can not out run the donut"
I totally agree with this and other posts here that express basically the same thing.

I've noticed many many workouts start with the presumption you are there to lose weight, so it isn't surprising we have that expectation of most workouts. All the case histories on Leslie's site for example talk about how many pounds they lost, yet the primary reason for walking for me is to keep aerobically fit.

Many experts these days are saying all calories are NOT the same - some go directly into your fat cells, different ones stimulate different hormones etc. so find out the best foods to eat and THEN

Control your portion size! It's probably helpful just to eat smaller portions of the same thing you always eat, but choosing the right foods and then limiting portion size will produce even better results.

Weight Watchers and other sources have the info you need about the best food choices for weight loss. And YES, it starts in the kitchen!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:14 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm sorry you're discouraged! It is super tough when you don't feel like you're getting the results you want. I agree with what the others have said about the importance of diet in weight loss/maintenance.

I've started to think of calories the same way I think about money--I have a limited ammount I can 'spend' every day. I can spend them on nourishing food that will keep me healthy, energetic and satisfied, or I can spend them on less nourishing food that will not keep me full. The latter might taste better on the front end, but it won't cut it in the long run.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:27 AM  
altinker

My experience is the same as many other posters here. Diet is the thing that has helped me lose weight. But, I've found that I have to eat in a sustainable way.

If I just cut calories and do shakes to drop weight, then I become ravenous and don't keep it up as a lifestyle choice.

If I just work out and don't change my diet, my body composition changes, but I don't drop any weight. I might lose a couple of inches, but no real weight -- and I'll still have a poochy tummy (which I hate).

If I watch my diet and exercise, I start dropping weight. I use myfitnesspal to track my diet and exercise.

It has me at 1200 calories to reduce my weight, but I can eat back my exercise calories. I wear an HRM and my burned calories are uploaded (I use digifit). I usually end up eating about 1500 calories a day.

My problem was portion control. It is hard to know the right portion sizes because restaurants serve enough food for 3 people. Further, when I make pasta or anything else at home, I overdo it a bit. Over time, that adds up.

Tracking my food portions helps me make better decisions and shows me what fills me up versus what has me craving food.

I'm 44. For the last 4 years, I thought that just winging it and exercising was enough. It wasn't. Then, I tried to just do diet, and that's okay but slow. It also doesn't help with stress levels and mood. It wasn't until I added exercise to diet that I started making real progress.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:32 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
You probably need to see a doctor and have some tests run because a lot of us struggle with weight because of thyroid or other hormone issues. Make sure your doctor doesn't just run TSH and dismiss a problem because it's not high. There are thyroid issues that only show up when you run T3, T4, reverse T3, etc. Not saying it's your thyroid, but that's very common.
I agree with this, too. It's worth it to get your levels checked and see if that's part (or all) of the problem.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:49 AM  
daisyfit

My experience is that age isn't a barrier to getting into great shape. You have to want it, eat incredibly clean and workout. I'm 37 and in the best shape ever. I work at it every day and plan my meals and workout and don't make excuses. It can be done at any age if you put your mind to it. My mom is in her 60s and was heavy all her life and made the decision recently to look after herself and eat well and workout. Now she has lost so much weight, is in great shape and looks 15 years younger, it can be done, don't give up. You can do it.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50, significant weight loss, success stories, tosca reno, weightloss