Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-13, 05:56 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I completed the first week in maybe 9 days. I'm very bad at rotation, but I actually enjoy this a lot and looking forward to the each DVDs. I combine it with random weights, kettlebells and some tapouts.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 07:57 AM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Hi Tracey - I am on day 96 (going to do Balance as soon as I post this). I find it hard to start each practice lately but once I get going I really enjoy it. Congratulations on making it this far! Which practice is your favorite?

Loleen
Loleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 09:15 AM  
Tracyso2

Wow, Day 96...I'm jealous, since you're about a week ahead. Hmmm...well, I can tell you that without question, my LEAST favorite is the one I have on the docket today: Balance. I suck at it, and I don't seem to be improving in the slightest. Damn you, weak ankles!! Oh, wait, I also kind of hate Mountain Pose, although slightly less than I did at the beginning. My favorites are probably CrossTrain (because I think it's thorough & also maybe easiest), Cardio (surprising; I hated it the first time I did it but now find it invigorating and relaxing after the half-hour mark), and Detox (except the "under-the-fence vinyasa"...I could absolutely give that a miss). I'm also getting to like Yin. What about you? Anyone else have favorites or anti-favorites?
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 09:34 AM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Cardio and Strength have become my favourites. I have grown to dread Hardcore. Yin was an early favourite but now can feel a bit long.
Loleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 11:53 AM  
bubbles76

I want to try this program, but egads his voice! I commend all of you for staying with it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 01:05 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I want to try this program, but egads his voice! I commend all of you for staying with it.
I tried Foundations and didn't really like it--Travis was nice enough, but (compared to other yoga instructors I've had, both live & on video), he came across as very young and inexperienced to me. His voice didn't bother me per se, but what drove me crazy is that he sounded like someone to me, and I couldn't quite put my finger on who.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 01:16 PM  
Tracyso2

I can tell you exactly who, Beth--Bryan Kest. Travis does almost a line-reading of the best of Kest; same cadences, same verbiage, same vocal tricks. It drove me crazy at the beginning --I'm a huge Bryan Kest fan, and I just kept wishing he had made a program like The Ultimate Yogi, instead of only 2-hour yogastravaganzas that I can't fit into my schedule-- but I got over it. Travis is actually --dare I say?-- a better sequencer than Bryan, I think.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 01:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyso2 View Post
I can tell you exactly who, Beth--Bryan Kest. Travis does almost a line-reading of the best of Kest; same cadences, same verbiage, same vocal tricks. It drove me crazy at the beginning --I'm a huge Bryan Kest fan, and I just kept wishing he had made a program like The Ultimate Yogi, instead of only 2-hour yogastravaganzas that I can't fit into my schedule-- but I got over it. Travis is actually --dare I say?-- a better sequencer than Bryan, I think.
Tracy, it could be Bryan, expect that I have never done one of Bryan's videos, so I don't think I know what he sounds like!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 01:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

When you are in a long rotation like that, I think it is perfectly fine to give yourself permission to take some time off here and there to rest or do something different especially if a dread factor is setting in. I am in my first week of P90X and plan to do just that every few weeks as I know doing the same thing for months will start to drive me nuts after a while.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 03:14 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyso2 View Post
I can tell you exactly who, Beth--Bryan Kest. Travis does almost a line-reading of the best of Kest; same cadences, same verbiage, same vocal tricks.
Travis has studied with Bryan and picked up a lot of his mannerisms and even exact phrases. What Travis *doesn't* do is Bryan's shock-value schtick, the F-bombs and so forth. On video and in person, Travis is a *much* more relaxed guy than Bryan, who seems to me to have a chip on his shoulder most of the time. I love them both, but I'm not sure I could spend an hour a day with Bryan (on DVD) for 108 days, as I did with Travis.

A funny thing happened at Denver ChantFest, where I took a class with Bryan -- he used a phrase that I recognized from Ultimate Yogi! Of course I've no idea who picked it up from whom.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bryan kest, inch loss, travis eliot, ultimate yogi, yoga foundations