Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-13, 08:15 AM  
willowey124

Weightloss from low-intensity exercise - please share your stories!

Hi All,

Has anyone lost weight via low-intensity workouts only and NO strength training (ie NO weights, except maybe bodyweight)? Workouts such as Classical Stretch, Pilates, Yoga (I know some type of Yoga and Pilates aren't necessarily low-intensity, but you get what I mean) Fusion (ie, Ellen, Jessica Smith), Barre, etc?

I would love to hear your stories

Kaz x
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Pulling up a chair ...
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 08:57 AM  
sherry7899

LOL, Pat!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:04 AM  
Gams

I think that's a tough question because I think weight loss is mainly about your diet, so I think you can lose weight with low intensity exercise, high intensity exercise or even no exercise at all.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:10 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Many people have lost weight just by walking. On the Walk It Out Facebook group that I'm a member of, a lot of weight losses have been reported just from playing WIO.

The OP said "no strength training" but I consider a lot of yoga and barre workouts to be strength training. Resistance is resistance to your body

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:14 AM  
wellnesswife

Talking

Since weightloss is intaking or burning less calories than your body needs so that cals in body are converted to be used I think low impact Cardio would work. My reasoning: When you have more bodyweight you burn a lot more calories (so if your closer to goal weight maybe wear a weighted vest) also you are able to do low impact Cardio for a significant amount of time 60 min+ because you don't get too tired or winded. That would burn a lot of calories & if you watch the Big D...science says it should work
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 09:41 AM  
PhyllisG

I have lost weight walking with Leslie and doing Meta Omni. I think it was because I just wasn't as hungry as I used to be when I did more intense cardio and lifted heavier. Never went back to intense cardio and heavy weights.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:07 AM  
sunday

I lost 50 pounds doing only light workouts - Ellen, fusion, Pilates, yoga, etc., and no cardio.

However, I followed a strict calorie-counting diet. I have always maintained that it's all about the diet, at least for me.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:11 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
The OP said "no strength training" but I consider a lot of yoga and barre workouts to be strength training. Resistance is resistance to your body
So do I - I have lost weight during periods when my main activity was walking and yoga - and become quite strong, especially in the upper body, through the body weight resistance in yoga.

But as others have said and I must agree, it was all about food intake management. Honestly, I (and not just me) can lose weight doing any or NO activity, as long as it's balanced against food intake, just as Gams said upthread. Conversely, I can gain weight doing intense to low to no activity, if I'm not careful about eating.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:13 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I think that's a tough question because I think weight loss is mainly about your diet, so I think you can lose weight with low intensity exercise, high intensity exercise or even no exercise at all.
Yes--that.

I have found that heavy lifting works to my disadvantage as far as weight is concerned, simple b/c heavy lifting makes me *really* hungry and I have a much harder time being disciplined with my eating.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, leslie, low intensity, walking, weight loss, yoga