Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-13, 10:16 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Amen, Joni! Consistency (and moderation) are key for me.

I don't hop on many bandwagons anymore, but I still like to try new things. Plus, the system/rotation/method that works one year may not work as well the next time.

Housework is the leading cause of injuries. I avoid it as much as possible!
Very true!

Consistency really is the key. Even though VF is a great place, it can muddy the water. Sometimes you almost feel like you have to keep up with the Jones'.

Alta points something else that is very true. What worked in the past most likely will not work again, because we have aged.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 10:31 AM  
mchelle81

I totally agree I always read what people have done to lose their weight, next thing I do is find it and buy it follow it for few days get bored buy something else, I have so many DVDs it's unreal so I am not buying anymore I realised I have spent so much money and not lost that much weight, I am getting results now by simply eating better and not eating junk and just doing DVDs that I enjoy
mchelle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 10:39 AM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! In fact, my only one New Year's resolution this year was to talk less and do more, buy less and use what I already have - CONSISTENTLY. I've spent entire last year buying dvds and planning rotations which I didn't follow. I sat on my butt and consequently, started the year with the same 30 lbs I wanted to lose last year. This year however, it's going to be different. Talk less and do more - in every aspect of my life!
*i haven't read all the posts in this thread yet but...*

I did the exact same thing. Last year I bought quite a few DVDs (read:loads more than I needed, I may have set a record) and thankfully I made good choices and do not have one regret but I too planned my workouts faithfully and yet some how managed to accomplish almost nothing in the fitness department.

My goal is the same, talk less and do more and also be content with what I have (that doesn't mean I don't have my little list of workouts I am eagerly awaiting this year, mostly classical stretch season 9 and whatever Ballet Beautiful puts out) but I will be right there with you trying to follow through on things. I am not going to repeat what did last year.

Lara
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:14 AM  
sherry7899

I totally agree with these posts. Years ago when I started to try to lose weight, I wasn't exercising at all. I lost 20 lbs with just watching what I ate very carefully. Then I started exercising, and I had less than ten videos. I just kept rotating through those, and did really well with weight loss, but it only worked because I was being very careful about what I ate. The collection I had was small and was not advanced, but they worked because I used them consistently and was very careful with my diet.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:41 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

For years I've been reading all the threads on VF about the latest and greatest workout systems and I felt like I had to keep up with everyone. It was overwhelming at times! Then yesterday when, instead of doing my scheduled weight workout that I was dreading, I decided to pull out Cathe's Cardio Supersets instead. The time flew by and I had fun and I thought, 'why do I have to follow rotations? Isn't it all about diet and consistency?'

Reading this thread just confirmed my feelings. No more planning for me. I'll just do whatever I feel like doing. As long as I'm moving it's all good! I've acquired several new systems in the last couple of months and I'm going to mix and match. Should be fun! Not to mention, this attitude may keep me from impulse buying and allow me to just enjoy what I already own.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:47 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnesswife View Post
Great post!! Sometimes to get myself "fired up" for a cetain workout...I pretend its new;

Search for a VF forum & read why I purchased in first place
Search for clips & watch them

Then do the workout! Kind of a fun routine I started when nothing sounds fun
Also my collage wishlist is DVDs I own so I can go on there & find something I may like

What an awesome idea! I'm going to try that!

I absolutely agree with this whole thread. Sometimes it's all about the high I get from buying something, instead of the high I should be getting from actually doing the workout. I will always be a vidiot, so love getting new workouts, but if I don't actually do them, what's the point?
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:51 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Amen, Joni! Whenever someone claims that a particular workout or a particular instructor or a particular type of workout is "best," I always think, "for you at this particular time of your life." Trying to do something that doesn't suit because we're supposed to or supposed to like it is a surefire recipe for quitting.
Old 01-09-13, 12:23 PM  
mspina

Yup! Two of the fittest looking people in my town are walkers. Not runners, but walkers. They put on their iPods and walk *fast* and they both look amazing. One woman is, I'd guess late 50s but wouldn't be surprised if she were actually older, the other is probably late 30s. All year round, I see them walking. They clearly love it and it works great for them.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 02:02 PM  
Gams

We had a walker in our town, too. You'd see her everywhere walking. She lived to be well over 100.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 03:47 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Very true!

Consistency really is the key. Even though VF is a great place, it can muddy the water. Sometimes you almost feel like you have to keep up with the Jones'.

Alta points something else that is very true. What worked in the past most likely will not work again, because we have aged.
Wah, really? I never thought of this.... Crud, there goes my logic of going back to what worked for me a few years ago.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, success stories, wisdom