Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-13, 04:31 PM  
kristiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
ETA: So maybe her earlier work with Crunch might be more effective? Seems to have a pilates/yoga base to it. Please don't tell me pilates aren't effective. If you had to label her method what would it be?
I would say her method is a fusion of pilates-yoga-ballet.

I really like Ellen, but I can see how some of her Studio workouts could bore some people. I happen to love plies and standing pilates moves. There's always a balance challenge for me. My personal favorites are Power Fusion, Fat Burning Fusion and Slim Sculpt.

From Crunch, I like Fat Burning Pilates. I don't like that she has so much background talent in the Crunch videos, especially the girls whose pants are too low, but I can tune that out.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 04:35 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Cardio Lean is somewhat similar, but Tracey sure takes things up a notch or two.
Cardio Melt is also a barefoot workout, but it's nothing like Ellen's.
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. Makes me wonder if I should check those workouts out then!
Old 01-05-13, 05:47 PM  
TinaT

I've acquired the majority of what EB has to offer. I guess it's time to put it all to use.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 08:05 PM  
txfitmom

I am a total Ellen fan and although there are similarities between some of the workouts I tend to keep them in my collection just in case I want to do an Ellen rotation. I do wish they were a bit shorter, so excited for her newest ones coming out! I feel like with her workouts I get a good total body workout without hurting myself (well sometimes my arms are worked to the max), but more than anything I love how I feel like I am in a more positive mood after the workouts. I like the way Ellen flows through the movements so you are still working your body in unique ways, but in a sneaky kind of way, I don't feel as much dread with her workouts because of this.

I also like Tracey Mallett's workouts that have a flowing feel to them. I have tried both of her newest ones and I don't like Cardio Lean as much as Cardio Melt. Cardio Lean just felt super hard for me, the standing section was okay, could have had more of a flow to it, but the floorwork was hard (of course I have weak shoulders so that could be why). Cardio Melt is my new favorite workout! I think I love it even more than Ellen's newest stuff and Liquid Grooves by Petra. It has somewhat of a dance feel to it. I also like Tracey's older Renew You workouts. They kind of have a dance/fusion/pilates mix with some standing and floor segments. I don't like the music in them as much, but the workouts are decent.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:31 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I'm another total EB fan. It's almost like she connects mind, body and spirit in all of her workouts. So for me, her workouts are not just "physical" for me but also bring a sense of calmness and peace.

Between EB and now Jessica Smith, I have found my two fave instructors.

Though thank you, txfitmom, I have now put that Tracey Mallett workout on my wish list!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 08:12 AM  
topfitmama

Ellen Barrett's workouts make my back feel good and are excellent for when I'm getting back on the wagon or need a non-impact all-rounder. She makes me sore in the right places and takes away the stiffness in shoulders and back.
I discovered this effect on my back when I overworked my upper back chopping wood with an ax and painting walls. I got a massage to loosen a knot which made me feel even more fatigue and stiffness in the upper body, but a couple days of doing Ellen loosened everything up and made me feel good again

And I love the constant lower body work!

Yes, her workouts can be boring after a while, but I find that if I just go with it, without thinking about the time or anything else that needs doing, I thoroughly enjoy tuning into my body and feeling the gentle movement.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 08:20 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I have done a 2-week Ellen-only rotation a few times (when I didn't feel like working out, coming back from an illness...) but I mostly use her workouts with others (barre or TA). I cannot say I have seen appearance results from her workouts but she helps me maintain AND I see drastic results in my sanity (a big problem area for me ) To me, an Ellen workout is like a dose of sunshine
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 08:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

In my opinion if a particular instructor keeps you exercising and feeling strong, flexible and happy that's fantastic. Ellen's motto is about feeling good and creating energy rather than draining it.

I the Ellen success story at Collage, especially seeing the difference between pictures 2 and 3 (same pose but 70lbs lighter!): http://www.collagevideo.com/SuccessS...aspx?cid=93065
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 09:49 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Can everyone else see the Collage success stories? I can't. I only see pictures. When I follow Lucky Star's link, I only see pictures - no story. Same with all the other success stories in the site.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 09:58 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Can everyone else see the Collage success stories? I can't. I only see pictures. When I follow Lucky Star's link, I only see pictures - no story. Same with all the other success stories in the site.
I see it, Joni.

Ellen is for me what CS and yoga are for others. I feel stretched, strengthened, and blissed out. That is worth it's weight in gold!

Tags
ellen barrett, slo-robics, slorobics, success stories, zen sculpt