Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-13, 12:16 PM  
TinaT

Asking For Specific Results With Ellen B.

I read so many threads about EB and how wonderful her routines are. I'm just now embarking on trying her seriously for the first time. I have had her dvds before and never tried them thoroughly and honestly. This year is about HUGE change for me and one area is giving an instructor a really good effort before deciding their not for me. I've talked myself out of using her method more times than I will ever admit to and just need to stop the crazy cycle I'm on with thinking that way.

So, I'd love to know what specifically I should be looking for in reference to results. Weightloss? Flexibility? What? I feel like she lines up will with CS in many ways, so she is at the top of my list.

Thanks for the input.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:22 PM  
edensmom

I used to use Ellen all the time and for me the benefit was that her routines (that I used anyway) are strength/cardio combined with some stretching in there. She gets it all done without beating you up.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:54 PM  
kristiep

I have Ellen's Studio, Live, and Crunch workouts. For me, they are great for increasing balance and flexibility. I also use them to help keep my knees and back strong between rotations of other workouts that I do -- e.g. Jillian, Bob Harper, KCM, Biggest Loser, Jari Love, Jessica Smith.

I haven't experienced transformative results from Ellen, but her workouts always improve my performance with my other workouts. Not sure how that happens, but it does!
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:58 PM  
Cybersparkle

I have all of Ellen's videos except 2 (Fit Mama & the recent Blood Type one). I see toning results from her mostly in thighs, arms. I feel more flexibile & less tight in my muscles. She really works the thighs with lots of plies in almost every video without bulking. The ones with light weights work the arms very well, also, no bulking. Even without weights, Crunch Super Slim down is good for triceps & Yogini is plank city. For me the most intense cardio is Fat Burning Fusion, Yogini and Barefoot Cardio. The more I do her cardio intensive ones, the more weight comes off.

I find her ab work to be average (may be my abs need more work than the norm), but I usually add on 5 to 10 minutes of another ab instructor to her 35 or 45 minute workouts. I really wish she would do a vid of 10 minute, intense ab segments that I could add on to her other workouts.

I find most other methods (with the exception of Callanetics, yoga & Classical Stretch) do not stretch you out at all. Ellen's work outs have the stretch integrated into the workout & I think that is what makes them refreshing & invigorating rather than exhausting. I agree with Edensmom, Ellen covers all the bases in the majority of her workouts. I do add Leslie & other light vids for cardio & variety only- I could do all Ellen & have everything I need (tho I would probably do the ab sections twice).
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 01:03 PM  
dnna

I am replying because we have traded and I think we have similiar taste in workouts. I absolutely could never to an EB rotation. I barely can do a EB workout once in a while. In fact I have a pristine set that I rarely toutch.
I don;t know why, she is charming and charismatic, encouraging- everything good . But her workouts -by 20 minutes I just have to eject the dvd. It seems so monotonous to me. and all those plies. like a slow motion workout. which is just not for me- I guess I am just a Firmie at heart.
good luck though, I hope you like the rotation
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 01:28 PM  
sunday

Although I have all of her workouts, they inspire a certain amount of dread in me. I end up watching the clock and can't wait until they're over, even though they're not very difficult. One or two Ellen workouts a year is about all I can take any more. I used to do her much more often than that. I do not plan on buying her new ones at this point, though 30 minutes might be easier to take than 45 of her.

However, I have no trouble doing 90 minutes of workouts otherwise! It's just something about her that makes me want to yank them out. Oh, and I never got any better results with these than with any other fusion I've ever done.

PS - I'm also coming to the long and slow realization that the *only* workouts that do *not* inspire some type of dread in me when I do them more than once or twice are the FitPrimes and KickButts; I actually have to stage an intervention when I do these because I can do them for weeks on end and am afraid I will get sick of them. I was never a Firmie, but I've ordered the two Prime Powers - the ones with the jungle setting - as they look really fun.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 01:35 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Although I have all of her workouts, they inspire a certain amount of dread in me. I end up watching the clock and can't wait until they're over, even though they're not very difficult. One or two Ellen workouts a year is about all I can take any more. I used to do her much more often than that. I do not plan on buying her new ones at this point, though 30 minutes might be easier to take than 45 of her.
This is exactly how I feel.
In terms of results, I never found that I had anything major to report. Ellen B's workouts are more like good maintenance -- good for maintaining modest amounts of strength, cardio, and flexibility. They're balanced, modest workouts. Unless you want an infomercial transformation, I think they're just fine. I just got very bored with them very quickly. From time to time I do the standing portion of Slim Sculpt, but that's even been a while.
Old 01-05-13, 04:06 PM  
TinaT

Hmmm.. well.. I guess I was thinking EB would be a compliment to CS. I find so many benefits to CS that I feel like adding EB would only be a bonus .. IF, and I mean IF, I actually give her an honest try.

I am at a point that I need to feel energized and better than before my workouts. Dealing with stiffness, intense soreness, etc is not what I want to be about anymore.

ETA: So maybe her earlier work with Crunch might be more effective? Seems to have a pilates/yoga base to it. Please don't tell me pilates aren't effective. If you had to label her method what would it be?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 04:24 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Tina, I think so much of results has to do with consistency. It's quite possible you'll be able to stay consistent with CS and Ellen B, so it might be a rotation worth trying. I might add in some walking to supplement the lack of cardio in that combo. I haven't done Ellen's workouts in a while, but I would suggest: Fat Burning Fusion, Slim Sculpt, Self: Bikini Ready Fast, and Yogini (I haven't tried her newer ones - G&G and the other one). I think the Crunch workouts are easier than the Studio ones. However, I did kind of like Crunch Burn & Firm Pilates.

ETA: from what I've read Tracey Mallet's newer workouts, Dance Cardio Melt and Dance Cardio Lean, might be similar to what you're looking for and an option to supplement your rotation if you get bored with Ellen.
Old 01-05-13, 04:29 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
ETA: from what I've read Tracey Mallet's newer workouts, Dance Cardio Melt and Dance Cardio Lean, might be similar to what you're looking for and an option to supplement your rotation if you get bored with Ellen.
Cardio Lean is somewhat similar, but Tracey sure takes things up a notch or two.
Cardio Melt is also a barefoot workout, but it's nothing like Ellen's.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barrett, slo-robics, slorobics, success stories, zen sculpt