Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-12, 11:00 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Henry!! I haven't seen a post from you for a long time - what a pleasant surprise.
I've been here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
As to vague thread titles, especially those that finish the sentence in the 1st line of the post - not sure if it's the browser I use (mostly Chrome), but hovering over the thread title gives me a popup with the first 2 lines of the post - solves that problem quickly without having to open the post.
Yes, and I've done the same thing with other mainstream browsers. The hovering comes in handy, and not just for deliberately vague or incomplete (broken) titles.

All the same, I'd prefer not to have to resort to it. When I last saw someone mentioning the hover thing, that person (unlike you) was probably using the feature as a bit of a soft defense of or even an excuse for deliberately vague or broken titles, but I've always disagreed with such defenses. I still can't think of any convincing reason to title most threads that way, and having a mitigating shortcut doesn't overcome the multiple disadvantages of titling threads that way.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
The hovering thing works for desktops and laptops, but I haven't been able to get it to work on my iPod or smartphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Doesn't work on my iPad either
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavi View Post
As for vague topic threads, I do the hover thing but it doesn't work on my mobile devices.
Thanks for the replies. I've been wondering for years (though I haven't been wondering enough to have looked deeply for an answer ) if there were up-to-date browsers, especially popular ones, that didn't support the hover function. I actually hadn't been thinking of mobile browsers because I haven't ever used them to visit VF and would have guessed the opposite of your reports.

I hope that anyone reading this who's tempted to use a less-than-useful title keeps at least this point in mind.

Of course, I'd just said "multiple disadvantages." Even if everyone did have and know about the hover thing, broken titles still leave other problems, all of which suggest full titles as the better choice.

(For instance, I haven't yet mentioned quoting. Our software quotes the bodies of posts but not the titles, which have to be supplied more manually. In other words, you make it easier for people to quote you if you don't start your post with a gap. Now, if anyone here is such a bad poster that no one would ever want to quote you, maybe you won't have a problem, but the rest of us may try to be more considerate to those who wish to quote us.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vf love