Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-12, 03:14 PM  
BrusselsSprouts

Question Strength training to lose weight?

Hi everyone, I'm back to being a vidiot after some time away, and the new workout styles kind of confuse me. Anybody willing to share their experiences on what workouts have helped you slim down?

Did you use interval training? Cardio-cardio intervals or cardio-strength? Which do you find trims you down faster?

Do kettlebells really provide aerobic benefit, or is it anaerobic? (I just bought kettlebells and need some videos next paycheck!)

For shedding fat, really I'm confused here: what's your experience on using pure strength training with heavier weights, or blended cardio-strength with lighter weights? I'm thinking specifically here of Jari Love's Ripped 1000 DVDs: do they really help one slim down faster in a short workout with limited afterburn vs. heavy strength training?

I'm personally trying to fit strength-type workouts back again in my life now. I commute by bike 45min RT x4/week, which ends up being cardio interval training. Light weights with high reps as in classic body sculpting have never given such good results as when I lifted heavy. But since that period workouts have evolved so here I'm looking for your experiences. I work about 48h/week and have a 1yo and 2yo so I am really looking for the most effective workouts to slim down--the scale doesn't matter to me.

Thanks so much for reading this, and hopefully for sharing too. Out here in Belgium there's no Netflix, shipping is international with customs duty and taxes, and there's no big selection of DVDs on eBay or to borrow from friends; so your advice is really helpful since opportunities to try out new workouts cheaply are virtually nonexistant. Many thanks!
Old 10-05-12, 03:36 PM  
topfitmama

Hi Katharine!
Nice to meet another European VFer! I'm in Germany
My favorite workout style when I need to keep it short and efficient is circuit workouts. I like that I get my strength training and cardio in in a short amount of time, and I think they are effective for weight loss. Barre workouts (my favorite being Physique 57) do a very good job of toning my whole body and strengthening the upper body and core. I love how quick and effective both express workouts are!

As for trying out new things without breaking the bank, how about trading? Also, Mary from Total Fitness DVDs offers very good shipping rates.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 04:27 PM  
wookiemouse

Honestly, I've tried everything - cardio only, endurance strength, heavy lifting. Strength is critical in getting your metabolism up and toning muscles, but heavy lifting and endurance will have the same effect. I like endurance since it's often paired with cardio and you can get a two-for-one on that! But the only thing that has slimmed me down is changing my diet. No amount of exercise will get you to where you want to be if you're not eating right.

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 06:01 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Ditto. What you eat is the key!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 08:40 PM  
Julia

I cant speak for others but I know that if I am looking to lose weight fast, I need to drop weights and switch to Kettlebells, I had AMAZING fast results with Skogg system and Im now working with Paul Katami drills 3-4x per week and Im thinkin of going to RKS next as Ive read some great things. The results I had with Skogg where incredible. I grew bored as I do of everything and dropped kettlebells after completing 6 weeks and slowly the weight crept back on so now Im back to Kbs this year. Basically Kettlebells give the benefits of cardio and weights together. when I do Kbs I do other things like yoga, pilates, walking, but kept my routines around Kettlebells first and foremost. I like to do powerstrike and heavy weight work for my lowerbody and light for my upper (Im an apple) when Im not working with KBs, weight work for a nice rounded toosh and toned upper body, but for me this style of training is not as effective for overall slimming as Kbs but more for overall carving out my curves when Im at my goal weight.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 02:22 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Ditto. What you eat is the key!
This is true...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 04:46 AM  
schoolgirl-01

i've had the best results from doing kettlebells.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 05:50 AM  
Terry

Dropping Calories 2-3 days per week, spread out with maintenance Calories in between, works best for me.

The one program that took some fat off without me thinking much about it was Chalean Extreme, but I still had to eat the right number of Calories to support the exercise, muscular growth, and fat loss.

If your workout program leaves you tired and dragging all day so that you reduce your Calories spent in movement during the non-Exercise hours, or if it gives you an appetite that cannot be satiated, it will have a hard time being effective at helping you lose fat.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 06:23 AM  
upperwside

You can lose weight by lifting heavy, to failure.. but you have to eat right. Muscle burns fat.. but you have to feed the muscle right. If you do not eat enough of the right food and right calorie level... your body will hold onto fat and it will eat your muscle for food.

I find i really trim down by heavy lifting and HIIT/Tabata cardio. But.. you also have to mix it up and do what you enjoy. There is a set out called Body Beast.. it is heavy lifting done at home. If you order from Totalfitness.. i am sure she will ship it to you in Belgium. You could also check out some of the e-books on fiighterdiet.com... and do heavy lifting with them on your own or at the gym. I will never to high rep low weight again... i can look back on my fitness history and really see that it did nothing for me. I may pop in Cathe Meso 1 once in a while to change things up.. but that is as light or high rep as i will ever go and for no longer than 4 weeks.

I love your country and have spent much time there... looking forward to next year when i can bring my wee ones! Lovely place to live!!

I have a kettlebelle video i do not use.. if you want it i will send it to you for free.. PM me.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 06:29 AM  
Bebop

I know what you eat is a a major factor.

I think it's simple math - calories in - calories out. Burn more than you take in.

I'm in the process of figuring out my own personal formula. Everyone is different based on age, metabolism and genetics.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, weights only, weights vs cardio