Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-11, 04:21 PM  
Fidget Queen

IT Band Strap?

Does anyone have one that does what it's supposed to do? I'm definitely getting one ASAP, but I'd like to know which brands are worth it.

Thanks!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 02:59 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I've never heard of this. I have heard of using a foam roller for the IT Band. Can you tell us more about this strap?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 04:18 AM  
Lulu Belle

I also feel that using a foam roller really works. I've read that to help with IT tightness/soreness you should work daily on stretching and strengthening your hips. It seems to help for me, but I have never tried the strap.
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 09:04 AM  
pattyd0319

I haven't personally used one but I see lots of runners wear them in races and see them in stores that sell running gear. I also see them advertised in running magazines.

I also use a foam roller a couple times a week on my legs and hips and they feel great, are holding up well to 20-25 miles a week of running.

Also, Denise Beatty in her Fitness Fix series had a massage section on those DVDS that showed how to massage all areas of the legs to include the hips and glutes with a foam roller. She is a physical therapist and mentioned she runned as well and advocated to do this at least once a week.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 09:44 AM  
Becky

I too suffered from IT Band soreness years ago. It was so bad, I couldn't even walk fast. It hurt for months and I wondered about those straps myself. Are they the kind that go right above the knee? I've seen them in running magazines. Are you supposed to just wear them as a support like a knee brace, or can you run in them? It almost seems counterproductive to run with one. But what do I know?

But... my miracle cure was rolling on a yamuna ball (but it doesn't have to be yamuna). I had the Yamuna DVD and didn't care for it, but got Fitball Small Ball Release and it has an amazing IT band section that feels like heaven. I found the foam roller to be too hard on my leg but the ball has a little give, if that makes sense. But that's just my experience. (I still would also recommend the foam roller because I know it works wonders for my daughter, with her rheumatoid arthritis.)

I also picked up The MIracle Ball Method by Elaine Petrone and I would highly recommend that too. It comes with two little inflatable balls and the book has many exercises for specific problems. But instead of rolling, it's more about trigger points and laying still on the balls and breathing. The most important part of it is in the breathing and relaxing into the balls. They used to sell it at Borders for around $20, so if your Borders has any left, it might be under $10 by now.

It was just my experience, but I swear after about 4 months of unbearable pain all the time, I was almost pain free and back to running within a few weeks of doing those two methods. It really was a miracle to me.

I also make sure to take the time to stretch with nice long static holds after every run.

I hope you find relief soon!

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 10:56 AM  
Sara1000

I notice FootSmart sells an IT Band for around $15.

Would love to hear from someone who has used such a band.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:09 AM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I've never heard of this. I have heard of using a foam roller for the IT Band. Can you tell us more about this strap?
The strap is supposed to put enough pressure on the IT band above the knee that it stops a lot of the pulling at the knee (since it originates at the hip, you're "blocking" the hip from pulling on the band at the knee - I'm sure it's MUCH more involved than that, I but I don't really know ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Belle View Post
I also feel that using a foam roller really works. I've read that to help with IT tightness/soreness you should work daily on stretching and strengthening your hips. It seems to help for me, but I have never tried the strap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyd0319 View Post
I haven't personally used one but I see lots of runners wear them in races and see them in stores that sell running gear. I also see them advertised in running magazines.

I also use a foam roller a couple times a week on my legs and hips and they feel great, are holding up well to 20-25 miles a week of running.

Also, Denise Beatty in her Fitness Fix series had a massage section on those DVDS that showed how to massage all areas of the legs to include the hips and glutes with a foam roller. She is a physical therapist and mentioned she runned as well and advocated to do this at least once a week.

Thanks guys! Yes, I've been using the foam roller daily since.... February, I think? Hasn't helped one bit. The pain that I feel while rolling has diminished quite a bit, and my chiropractor thinks that it's looser than it had been; the pain is there and worse than ever, though.

Also, because of my SI Joint problem, I couldn't safely do any stretch for the IT band for months (it would pull the joint out of alignment very easily), but I have been able to start doing them again. That might do wonders now.

I just found the greatest IT band routine on doyogawithme.com. Fabulous. If I can do that every day, I feel like it will help. And they also have a pre-run and post-run routine that I think I will try to do at least a couple of times a week. Even though I'm not running yet, I feel like I can work on strengthening and stretch the areas necessary for running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I too suffered from IT Band soreness years ago. It was so bad, I couldn't even walk fast. It hurt for months and I wondered about those straps myself. Are they the kind that go right above the knee? I've seen them in running magazines. Are you supposed to just wear them as a support like a knee brace, or can you run in them? It almost seems counterproductive to run with one. But what do I know?

But... my miracle cure was rolling on a yamuna ball (but it doesn't have to be yamuna). I had the Yamuna DVD and didn't care for it, but got Fitball Small Ball Release and it has an amazing IT band section that feels like heaven. I found the foam roller to be too hard on my leg but the ball has a little give, if that makes sense. But that's just my experience. (I still would also recommend the foam roller because I know it works wonders for my daughter, with her rheumatoid arthritis.)

I also picked up The MIracle Ball Method by Elaine Petrone and I would highly recommend that too. It comes with two little inflatable balls and the book has many exercises for specific problems. But instead of rolling, it's more about trigger points and laying still on the balls and breathing. The most important part of it is in the breathing and relaxing into the balls. They used to sell it at Borders for around $20, so if your Borders has any left, it might be under $10 by now.

It was just my experience, but I swear after about 4 months of unbearable pain all the time, I was almost pain free and back to running within a few weeks of doing those two methods. It really was a miracle to me.

I also make sure to take the time to stretch with nice long static holds after every run.

I hope you find relief soon!
Yeah, I'm looking at the ones that go right above the knee. I will look for the Miracle Ball Method, for sure. I'm going to get Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up Balls. Do you think that would work? I've been using racquet balls and they're ok, just a little small, I think. So great that it worked for you!! That gives me hope. Thank you.

This has been going on for me for 6 years now. I went from no pain to suddenly not being able to run. However, I don't think I've ever addressed the muscle imbalances that I'm sure are at play here. I think I need to strengthen my gluteal muscles in a major way, as it's probably responsible for both the IT band problem and the SI Joint problem.

Can't wait to run again!! I was hoping the strap would help just enough to allow me to run very small distances and work my way up while strengthening and fixing (hopefully ).
Old 09-01-11, 11:12 AM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I notice FootSmart sells an IT Band for around $15.

Would love to hear from someone who has used such a band.
This is exactly the one I was looking at, too. Hopefully somebody knows
Old 09-01-11, 11:30 AM  
Sissy B

Fidget Queen - Thanks for mentioning doyogawithme.com. I just checked it out and it's a great site.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:48 AM  
Kyra

PT for the IT band has moved away from foam rolling, at least along the vastus lateralis (outside of the thigh). This was news to me, as I've previously been a proponent of foam rolling for the ITB, and it was part of MY PT when I had an ITB injury.

During my second such injury, which had a different cause from the first, I realized (and later had this confirmed) that the ITB is basically fascia in the vastus area and rolling there is not doing much, if anything for it. (Source is Grey Cook, who is a PT.) Where you want to hit is higher in the hip area, the TFL and medius, if you roll at all.

I don't know how good a job the knee straps actually do. Personally, if I ever felt myself at that stage of an ITB injury again I would not waste time on a strap; I'd rest it/switch to non-aggravating exercise and start strengthening the hip.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, denise beatty, fitball, iliotibial band, iliotibila band syndrome, it band, it band injury, it band syndrome