Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-11, 09:39 AM  
shelleyann

Thumbs up Rave: Center Floor with Kari Anderson

Kari is so graceful and pleasant and calming. The music is a nice jazzy type and the background exercisers are her daughter and a friend. The dvd is chaptered and each section is rather short so it would be easy to make the workout any length you prefer. I will also say that you work balance as well as toning in this workout and there is a cardio-effect. Most of the movements are very fluid with little stand still isolation exercises. It is quite Reach-like (a modern Reach 2) and has more ballet influence than barre per se.

The first section is the warm-up and it is comprised fluid stretches and ballet moves...tondue, plie's, etc. The second section is more cardio in that you move across the floor with larger sweeping movements (think Beyond Balletone, if you know that dvd). One move flows right into the next and is easy to follow. The third section uses parallel feet and focuses on the outer thigh, but is still rhythmic, you don't really do any isolated, stand still movements. You will also do curtsey squats with side legs into leaps (as an option) so you definitely get your heart-rate up.

The fourth section focuses on leg extensions, attitude and developes and is mostly toning, while still being fluid. You also really work your balance. The fifth section is a combination of lunges (with Kari's unique twist) and stretches intermixed. The sixth section has a yoga-influence though it is not typical yoga. It has some plank (ab), thigh work and tricep work and again, very fluid and full of movement. The next section is ab work on your back on a mat. The next section is mat-based thigh, bridge and waist work. The subsequent section is a mat stretch followed by a standing stretch section which concludes the workout.

Overall a really nice workout that tones, stretches, enhances balance and has a cardio effect. It is fluid and pleasant a leaves you feeling worked, but calm and centered. I will reach for it again and again!

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 09:52 AM  
hotncmom

Sounds fantastic How long is the workout if you do the entire thing? Is it chaptered such that you can easily do the floorwork separately?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 10:31 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you Shelley! Oh I want it so bad!

ETA: Hmm, I reviewed the clip at Mary's and have to say I'm not wild about the music. Call me an old fuddy duddy but I hate the new trend of having rappish elements and some dude babbling away in the background. It just doesn't fit with a workout that I associate with elegance.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 11:27 AM  
shelleyann

That rappish music was only in one short section, so don't lose heart. The rest was nice.

The first chapter called Standing Center Floor Challenge was 32 minutes (but you can break each section down even further), the second chapter called Full body Mat was 13 minutes, the last chapter called Lengthening Stretch was 11 minutes. So a total of 56 minutes, if I'm doing my math correctly.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
Old 05-31-11, 11:33 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I like the look of this too, Shelley! Thanks for bringing it to my attention...I think?! Seems like it would work very well with my Classical Stretch added on!

Prefer Center Floor type workouts and would probably pass on the Sweat Express II (even though it's Kari, after all!)

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 11:48 AM  
Conni

I think I need to get this one, I really love Sweat Express 2 and Kari really is unique.
Old 05-31-11, 12:10 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I ordered this one from Mary over the weekend (along with the new Booty Barre, and a few others), and am looking forward to trying it!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 12:51 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I ordered this one from Mary over the weekend (along with the new Booty Barre, and a few others), and am looking forward to trying it!
Oooh...what else did you get?

Old 05-31-11, 01:11 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Whew - thanks Shelley! Now I am definitely putting it on my list of videos to get soon.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 01:57 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thanks Shelley for the review. I like what I see in Mary's clip and will add this to my very long wish list.

Tags
center floor, kari anderson