Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-11, 07:14 AM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
So for someone who has almost zero experience with Pilates, could you ladies please recommend some good ones to get started with? I think I can pick up some from the library to try out but there are sooooo many titles and instructors.
I do mat Pilates only; I'm not into the reformer. If you're just starting out, I think it is a good idea to take at least a few mat classes to get some basic pointers. Be careful about choosing a class/teacher. A Pilates studio is a great choice, but you might experience sticker shock. I've found that Pilates offerings at yoga studios and gyms vary in quality, depending on the instructor's background and skill. Many are really "fusion" classes with inadequate form instruction.

If you can't find a class, I think Michelle Dozois' Pilates for Dummies is excellent, and it gives you plenty of room to grow. Unfortunately, it is OOP, so hopefully you can find it at your library or via interlibrary loan. Other than that one, I'm not a huge fan of the beginners Pilates videos I've previewed and/or tried.

But there are some books that I like. If your library has them, I'd look for Alycea Ungaro's book Pilates: Body in Motion and/or Brooke Siler's book The Pilates Body. Alycea Ungaro's book and DVD set is also very much worth having: 15 Minute Everyday Pilates, but the DVD is not really stand-alone. You do have to read the text to effectively use the video. All 3 items are cheap on Amazon Marketplace.

Good luck getting started!
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 07:42 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post

If you can't find a class, I think Michelle Dozois' Pilates for Dummies is excellent, and it gives you plenty of room to grow. Unfortunately, it is OOP, so hopefully you can find it at your library or via interlibrary loan. Other than that one, I'm not a huge fan of the beginners Pilates videos I've previewed and/or tried.

Good luck getting started!
I always recommend Pilates for Dummies. I didn't realize it was OOP, so now I will guard it more carefully. But if you're new, don't skip the instructional chapter where Michelle explains terminology.

I try to do Pilates a few times a week. Well, I'd like to, anyway It's been great for my core strength and therefore reducing neck strain.
Old 05-09-11, 08:22 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahra View Post
21st Century Pilates by Laura Peralta (she is a Dance Therapist/Dancer)
Thanks for mentioning this - I'm intrigued.
Are there clips anywhere?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 09:14 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post

I try to do Pilates a few times a week. Well, I'd like to, anyway It's been great for my core strength and therefore reducing neck strain.

I'm interested in the reduced neck strain.... whenever I watch clips of pilates dvds, my neck starts hurting just watching them do the core moves where their head is up without hands behind it.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 09:39 AM  
Inchworm

Yes, I have found Pilates does cause some neck strain, and also, my feet have the tendency to cramp too. Does anyone have any helpful tips for these common complaints?
Thanks,
Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 10:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I need to get back at it. Pilates always made me feel and look trimmer, brightens my mood and does wonders for my bad back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm interested in the reduced neck strain.... whenever I watch clips of pilates dvds, my neck starts hurting just watching them do the core moves where their head is up without hands behind it.
You do not have to hold your head up. It is in fact beneficial to learn the moves with your head down so that your core learns to work, then as you strengthen use a mini-ball under your head, and work up to it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 10:01 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I should explain that better. I've had neck trouble for years (arthritis, muscle imbalance). My PT recommended increasing core strength since I would compensate for that weakness by using, or clenching, my neck muscles. As my core became stronger, my neck relaxed a bit. I also did PT exercises with a band, so the improvement was from a combination of things.

Pilates itself did cause neck strain at the start. It was a Catch-22. I needed the strength work to help my neck, but the work aggravated my neck I'd modify with a pillow under my head and shoulders, or just put my head down. As long as the abs are engaged properly, the exercises are still effective. It's common to try to "reach" with your head when it's off the floor. Really make sure to use the abs when you lift, not your head.
Old 05-09-11, 10:03 AM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post
Yes, I have found Pilates does cause some neck strain...
Neck strain often happens when a beginner is being instructed to attempt intermediate/advanced moves. That's my main beef with many "beginner" Pilates videos, and even some live instructors. They tell beginners to attempt exercises that assume you've already built up significant core strength.

I suspect it is because instructors think you'll get bored too quickly with the basics. Or maybe people aren't willing to pay for a basic session which lasts less than 30 minutes, which is really all you should be doing as a beginner. For example, the Pilates for Dummies beginner routine is only ~20 minutes, and that's plenty! Dozois tells the viewer that a complete newbie probably won't make it through the whole thing with good form. Once good form is lost, end the session and start over from the beginning the next day.

In many cases, it is fine to leave your head and neck down, or use a pillow until you're strong enough to attempt the exercise without a prop. Once your core is stronger, try lifting your head again. Be sure that you're aiming your chin to your chest, and keep your upper back and neck as relaxed as possible.

The books I linked to my first post provide modified and introductory versions of exercises, and of course a Pilates instructor can be a good resource if you have the money to schedule a private session or can get to a basic mat class. Plan to spend 10-20 minutes a day building up the strength needed for the full versions.

Foot cramping...eek, not sure. Are you pointing your toes? That isn't necessary. You gently point your feet, but your toes can be relaxed. If my feet were cramping I'd work on stretching my feet after each exercise, and maybe take a look at my magnesium, calcium, and potassium intake.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 10:32 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I like to do some ROM/bodyweight exercises, some yoga (Ashtanga short form) and mat Pilates every morning to get me going before I do anything else. I only do the first 17 or so exercises of the traditional series in the early morning. All of this is done without visual media, just music. The rest of the mat series I do separately, later in the day. I've recently gotten the Stamina AeroPilates Arc and like to do some exercises using that early in the morning too. I also have a Stamina Performer and work out on that almost every day using mainly Marjolein's dvds. I consider the above, along with cardio, as the necessary ingredients of a fitness routine for me. Barre, and everything else is icing on the cake. BTW, I feel I could probably get away with no other resistance work than what I get on the performer, though I still love and do work out with weights.

I recommend the Pilates for Dummies dvd for someone just learning mat Pilates as well as Brooke Siler's book, The Pilates Body. For someone who wants to spice up their mat workout I recommend Daniel Lyon, Jr.'s book, The Complete Pilates Book For Men.
Old 05-09-11, 11:10 AM  
rickets
VF Supporter

I started incorporating pilates into my exercise regimen about 8 months ago. I’ve done 29 pilates workouts since then, for an average of about 1 pilates workout per week. In that time, my core strength has improved immensely. It seems to work the lower portions of the abs better than anything else I’ve tried. I’ve gone from being completely unable to do things like teasers, to being able to do them pretty well with decent form. The core segments in Cathe Friedrich’s videos that I used to find quite challenging are very doable now.

The two workouts that I have used the most are Bernadette Giorgi’s Pilates Power Ball Sculpt, and 10 Minute Solution Quick Sculpt Pilates with Andrea Leigh Rogers. I definitely prefer instructors who move quickly through the routine without a lot of downtime between exercises. However, I agree with others that you will want to start with DVDs that are aimed at beginners/intermediates and which offer good form pointers.
rickets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jules benson, neck strain, pilates, pilates band, pilates for beginners, pilates form, weighted ball workouts