Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-11, 08:13 PM  
Inchworm

Is anyone here still doing Pilates consistently? Favorites? Results???

It seems like there is so little talk on here about Pilates anymore. It all seems like it's about Barre now, which I do love, but realized, geez, I haven't done a real pilates workout in ages. Today I did a side lying Pilates series with the fetal 5 (ala Winsor) on my own for the first time in ages and it felt good. I remember using Pilates after my pregnancies and wonder if I should really incorporate it again.

Is anyone seeing good results doing Pilates these days and what are your favorites?

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 08:16 PM  
SarahJane

I haven't done any "pure" pilates in awhile, but I feel like some of the barre workouts actually incorporate a good deal of pilates these days. For example, Xtend Barre has a pilates feel to it. It reminds me of Winsor Buns & Thighs with all of the leg circles.
Old 05-08-11, 08:42 PM  
buffmama

Kelly,
I started adding pilates to my routine a few weeks ago while trying to heal a back injury. (KB or overstretch with yoga? Don't know) I started with pilates for back pain and then decided that focusing on my core was a good thing to do for long term well being. I took some stuff out of the library to start and get a feel for what I liked. Now I'm exploring KathAL79's recommendations and liking them a lot. (Thanks Kath!) While I have other stuff, I like the detailed instruction on Stott Pilates and More than Mat Pilates and going to try and master the easier levels before running ahead. I've been doing different workouts everyday since I think that's the only way I'm ever going to get any better at it. It's too early for visible results but I'm slowly starting to understand what I'm supposed to be doing.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 08:43 PM  
sunday

When I got sick of barre, I really got into Pilates and found it slimmed me even more than before. I've never gone back to barre, and it's been way more than six months.

Some of my favorites:

Trudie's Core Strength Pilates
Tracey's Pilates Super Sculpt
Any of The Methods
Jules Benson's Pilates
Karen Voight's Pilates Total Body Training (uses the ring)
Yodates (nice cardio and ring work)

I also just received and did Molly Tittle's Core Cuts Pilates today and really liked it! It was different, refreshing somehow.

HTH!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 09:00 PM  
RedPanda

I've been plugging away with Pilates for a couple of years. I agree that the side lying series is similar to barre - except that you're lying down!

I only have time to practise barre and Pilates each once a week, and I can't say for sure, but I think that Pilates is helping me to maintain and further the slimming effects from barre - it's as though those deep muscles have been woken up.

I really enjoy the relaxing, focused, precision of Pilates and the stretching aspect, and feeling my body working as a whole.

My absolute fave is Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates.
Old 05-08-11, 09:06 PM  
tlchello

So for someone who has almost zero experience with Pilates, could you ladies please recommend some good ones to get started with? I think I can pick up some from the library to try out but there are sooooo many titles and instructors.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 09:51 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I have a bazillion barre workouts (and just bought Dailey Method because I'm such a vidiot) but actually prefer Pilates. For me it has more of a slimming effect. Although I've always had some Pilates videos, I *really* caught the bug when I started taking reformer classes (only 2 more left in my series). They are TOUGH but relaxing at the same time.

I have a bazillion Pilates vids too (of course!) but I adore Bernadette Giorgi's magic circle and sculpting ball workouts, along with Karen Voight, Trudie Styler, Tracey Mallett and also I think I will add Molly Tittle to that list.

I also really like some Stott and some Winsor Pilates too. Even some 10 Minute Solution videos.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 10:32 PM  
daisysunshine

I mix pilates with my barre. my favourites are Bernadette Giorgi and Ultimate Pilates from the Corps sisters. (These are free if you stream).

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 01:47 AM  
ilovemybirds

I'm not doing a lot of pilates right now because I'm 24 weeks pregnant, but before the pregnancy, I really liked Tracey Mallett and most of the 10 Minute Solutions pilates dvds. I will definitely have to get Jules Benson's and Molly Tittle's workouts!
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 07:00 AM  
jahra

21st Century Pilates by Laura Peralta (she is a Dance Therapist/Dancer)

Bernadette Giorgi-love all her work

Stott pilates

Tags
jules benson, neck strain, pilates, pilates band, pilates for beginners, pilates form, weighted ball workouts