Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-11, 06:56 AM  
kariev34

weights vs cardio

Do you do more weight training vs cardio or more cardio vs weights? Or, do you do an even amount of both.

For me, I seem to do better with more cardio then weights but I keep weight training to a minimum of 2 days per week.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 09:04 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I used to do mostly cardio with a bit of weights thrown in. Last year at this time I did a P90X rotation and got great results. I realized that doing less cardio worked better for me. In the fall I started doing barre and now I stick to 4 days barre/TA and 2 days cardio.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:07 AM  
Buffgirl

It all depends on your goals and your body type.

For me, light weight and Kettlebells work best. P90X and STS bulk me up and I did not like it. I have gotten great results with Jari and most recently with KBs.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:32 AM  
lorajc

I do more toning and weights. Of late, I've been doing a lot of bellydancing (which are considered light toning) and weight workouts or cardio weight workouts. I'm going to start adding in pilates....so yes, definitely more toning oriented lately. Funny cuz I used to be a real cardio junkie....but not anymore.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 11:09 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

This is a hard question for me to answer, because I mostly do AWT for my weight training, (2x per week) and I like to do a sculpting workout once a week usually on Wed. I do mostly Firm's but I also do xtra cardio on these days, do I do cardio 6x per week. I would have to say I do more cardio. It is the only way I can maintain my weight, I like to eat!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 11:24 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Currently I'm doing 4 strength training sessions (1 Pilates class, 3 'regular') and 5 of cardio (2 Zumba classes, 3 'regular') but I'm also trying to add in some add'l fun cardio here and there when I can. So I guess a bit more cardio than strength?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 11:29 AM  
KathAL79

I really like cardio, but my body is responding well to strength workouts, particularly heavier total body compound (true compound, meaning multi-muscle & -joint, not multi-limb or combination moves) workouts that get my heart rate up, especially as I try to lose weight and shape up. My general schedule is weights 3x/week, Pilates 1x/week, cardio 2x/week, and rest 1x/week, with yoga almost daily.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 11:36 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Do you do more weight training vs cardio or more cardio vs weights? Or, do you do an even amount of both.

For me, I seem to do better with more cardio then weights but I keep weight training to a minimum of 2 days per week.
I am still trying to figure that out for myself. I know I need strength at least 2 times a week and that has made a big difference. I seem to do okay with at least one moderately heavy day and the rest can be bodyweight or lighter weight/endurance/circuit workouts like barre, kettlebells, AWT, etc. I tend to do more cardio than strength, but lately I have been doing less and it seems fine. I haven't done much intense cardio for a few weeks and have mostly just done walking and dancing (some fairly intense much lower intensity) and seem to be doing fine with resting heart rate, the scale and feeling healthy overall. I think I will add in some intense cardio soon, but I am just trying this for now. In my mind I feel it is ideal to have at least 3 strength/endurance, 3 cardio endurance, and 3 flexibility/relaxation/range of motion each week. More can be good too, but we only have so much time in the week. If I hit or exceed that I generally feel good about that and healthy as well. Sometimes I like to do a lot more cardio for the stress release/feel good factor though. When I was doing the most cardio (this past summer) my weight loss stalled though so I think there is a thresh hold between enough and too much in regards to body composition, at least for me. I can't say exactly where it is though and I suspect it may be different for everyone and different at different life phases. Sorry thinking out loud!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 12:02 PM  
videofit

I've always done more weights than cardio and the only cardio I do is walking outside. I have a Charlene Prickett DVD It Figures Low Impact waiting for me when I get home to motivate me but since the weather is so nice, I may just go for my 1.5 mile walk to RiteAid after work.
Old 04-15-11, 12:11 PM  
KellyMarie65

Weight training gives me best results. My cardio is minimal, I like the bike at the gym but haven't been in months, and I do work 7 days a week and am on my feet alot. I do tend to run up 3 flights of stairs for both jobs a couple times a day, does that count? lol
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, weights vs cardio