Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-11, 12:05 PM  
JessieMarie

My mother has a WaterRower and loves it. Depending on the speed and fluidity of your rowing, the water whooshing is very quiet, and you don't need to turn up the tv to hear over it.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 12:11 PM  
fitgirl-atx

Hi Evanstar,

I have to agree with the others recommendations for Concept 2. I was able to get an older Concept 2 rower (model C) in excellent condition off of my local Craigslist. I paid $250 for it. Even though I didn't purchase the unit directly from Concept 2, I have still been able to rely on them for excellent customer support. I upgraded my display monitor on the unit. So, my advice is to check Craigslist or perhaps Play it Again Sports to see if you can get a used model. The new model D and E units are absolutely fantastic, but the older ones still get the job done. Agreed that rowers aren't quiet, but they are effective. I've also had myself and my clients of varying heights (6'0" to 5'1") use the rower with no problems.

Hope this helps! If you do decide on the water rower, see if you can try it out before you buy it. I've never used a water rower, so I'm not sure if they hold up to the 'quiet' requirement either.

Good luck to you!
fitgirl-atx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Sorry, but as a former college rower, I wouldn't even consider anything except the Concept 2, which is not cheap. Good luck with your search.

Laugh Often. Love Unconditionally. Live Beautifully.
DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos. I have also appeared as a cast member in a fitness DVD series. For details, please see my profile.
fitgirl-atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 01:29 PM  
Happykatie
VF Supporter

Craig's list rocks!

I also got a Concept 2 model C for $300. (But I admit I had been watching for months.) I used Searchtempest.com. It checks listings within a specified distance. I found one 50 miles away, met a nice lady, and took my rower home. I was the first to email her. She said she had probably 100 or so inquiries. I thought about getting another brand because I couldn't find an affordable C2, but then I didn't have to. The only other "rower" I ever used was my old Healthrider. :-)

Jenny
Happykatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 03:36 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
I was eyeing a water rower at Costco.com for around $700. I have a feeling that's cheap for a rower but am not sure. It was $1700 at a home gym store. Please someone tell me they suck compared to Concept 2 so I can write it off.
I saw this one as well. Looks like they used old Rainbow Vacuum tanks on them!

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 05:02 PM  
sjajsa

I have a WaterRower (from craigslist) too, and agree - it's very quiet as the only noise is the water whoosing. I've never tried a C2, but hear good things about those as well. This guy did a comparison review of the two machines. I think at least one other VFer has a WaterRower, too (Bob, maybe?) so maybe he will chime in as well.

I didn't realize there were other water-style rowers out there. Regular retail of $1700 for that Pacific Rower seems high, since the retail of the WaterRower brand starts under $1000, and they have been around for a long time.
Old 01-13-11, 05:19 PM  
Mary09(b)

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with that $1700. It was a big commercial fitness equipment store so they have to make some money for overhead but not 70% over MSRP! I almost told the salesgirl "y'know, this is $700 at Costco.com" but I'm sure they know, and I bet some consumers just pay it. Or the store prices for lots of haggle room. I hate that.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 06:24 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I saw this one as well. Looks like they used old Rainbow Vacuum tanks on them!

Pam
Oh, my goodness. I think my grandmother had one of those. Is that the kind you put water in and then had to dump that nasty stuff?
Now lifting that thing and dumping the water was a real workout for a 10-y-o.
Hard to do when you are gagging the whole time.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 06:25 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Sara and Mary, y'all are my heroes. Your equipment knowledge, especially prices, is truly impressive.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 07:14 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
And I'm trying to figure out how this is an off-topic thread....
Same here.
Seems very on-topic (but might belong in the equipment thread?)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 09:42 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Same here.
Seems very on-topic (but might belong in the equipment thread?)
Yup. I'm moving it.

Just so people know: if you want to give the moderators a "head's up" about things like this, please use the triangular button at the bottom. That sends a message to the moderators with a link to the thread in question. Thanks!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rowing, rowing machine