Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-11, 12:22 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

And the award for most-annoying backgrounder goes to....

I just picked up and previewed Bob Harper's "Pure Burn Super Strength" workout. Looks mostly good, with a few cons, the biggest one being one of the backgrounders (the modifier, who unfortunately gets lots of screen time) who is SO over-the-top in her facial expressions showing 'this is tough' I'd like to put her out of her misery (permanently!).

She makes these odd 'fish-face' round-mouthed grimaces of pain, that look like she's either being tortured, or giving birth to triplets. In all the hundreds of workouts I've seen over the years, I can't remember anyone so annoying (the '*I* did 10" chick in P90X was annoying, but she's a 7 on a scale of 10 compared to this one who's a 10!)

Unfortunatley, she's on the right side of the screen, which happens to be where I tend to look more (am I 'right eyed"?). Definitely will have to find a way to tune her out.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 12:27 AM  
Arielle96

I've recently noticed that during STS Total Body the male background exerciser has AWFUL form!! He literally makes me nervous to watch him!

My top most annoying background exercisers will forever be Sue Mi Powell from the Firm and Theresa Tan from Christi Taylor's workouts though.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 12:33 AM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle96 View Post
My top most annoying background exercisers will forever be Sue Mi Powell from the Firm and Theresa Tan from Christi Taylor's workouts though.
Yup, I refuse to do any workout that has either of those two. They annoy the hell out of me.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 12:43 AM  
Yelly

Kathryn, you are SO right. I just did that workout for the first time myself yesterday, and she was so obnoxious I had a hard time looking at the screen. I loved the workout, but seriously, what were they thinking using her!?!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow, more annoying than Corn Cob girl?!? I might need to watch a preview to see that!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:17 AM  
Hej

And the prize goes to.... Tamela Hastie for her over-the-top performance as "featured" cast member in WHFN productions!!

Of particular note, the incongruity of her babydoll pouts, sex-kitten glances, and cutesy over-the-top expressions of exertion juxtaposed with all her crows feet!

Though the level of the workout will bring you nowhere near nausea, Ms. Hastie's performance may just induce vomitting. Let's put our hands together for Ms. Tamela Hastie!!
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:24 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
Let's put our hands together for Ms. Tamela Hastie!!
Woooo! <spirit fingers!!!>

ITA. Tamela drove me nuts, both as a backgrounder and as an instructor.

I can still manage to do her workouts, though. I have a pretty high tolerance for annoying personalities if I like the workout. Denise Austin, on the other hand... no can do.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 07:00 AM  
tara426

I agree with the chick on Bob Harper's workouts. She is vomit-inducing.
tara426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 07:10 AM  
kat999

Aw, I like Tamela as a lead, though! Are people annoyed by her when she's just in the class? Is there one in particular where she's super weird?

Honestly, I love her FIRM Cardio wo. I still do that one and find it both challenging and fun.
Old 01-04-11, 07:14 AM  
bubbles76

Aw, I like Theresa Tan . But the chicks in the front in Turbo Jam Kick, Punch, Jam make my skin crawl LOL!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
background exercisers, old thread alert