Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-10, 03:58 PM  
F1mom

Yoga Booty Ballet Baby On The Way

I had just had my son when this DVD was released and wished I'd been able to use it during that pregnancy. We had no idea I'd be pregnant within a year of that release, so be careful what you wish for. So here's my review at 22 weeks pregnant.

The first thing that struck me was the relative austerity of the set and lack of music. This was filmed in a small studio with white walls, hardwood floors and various bits of pottery in neutral tones. I'd gotten used to the beautiful peaches, blues and Ravi of the YBB series, so I was a little disappointed to see such a scaled back production.

Teigh is pregnant along with the two background exercisers, all in the 28 week range or so, and she looks great. She begins with the usual kriya of rubbing the hands together and setting an intention, and there's lots of mention of the divine feminine force. The lack of music was really obvious to me, and it seems that by the time the intention was set, someone turned it on. It's not the usual drums and sitar music but some sort of soft jazz and bland spa that didn't fit the vibe of the workout at all.

The yoga section is short but effective. If you are having pelvic or hip problems, I'd skip the one downward dog she does before moving into the cardio section. The cardio section is fun with some of the YBB spirit seeping in but the music volume and selection made this a lot less fun for me. I also found myself longing for Gillian because the two have such great chemistry.

Finally, Teigh moves into the arm section with 3 pound weights, though you can use 2 pounds, 1 pound or no weights at all. She chuckles that you can still have nice arms during pregnancy, and she delivers. This section was harder than YBB Basic or Advanced, but not as hard as Tonique (is anything?). I enjoyed it, and this is the one of the reasons I'm keeping this workout.

The other reason is that I noticed how much better I felt hours after the workout. I did the workout in the early afternoon, but slept nearly the whole night through. My joints ached less, my pelvis actually felt more aligned and my mood was better.

I give this a B+. Compared to the other YBB workouts, it's not as much of a visual or auditory feast, but it delivers what mothers to be need in a short 35 minute format that won't over tire you.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 06:47 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Though I'm not interested in this DVD because my baby machine is retired , I enjoyed your review, especially the good mood and joint relief parts. I'm going to have to break out my YBBs!

Best wishes with Baby 2!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 08:14 PM  
mbramer

Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about this dvd--it's great to have some details!
Old 08-17-10, 02:15 PM  
F1mom

Bumping up. I did this workout for the second time yesterday and I have a few more thoughts:

The yoga section was easier and not as woo woo to me the 2nd time around. Of course my son kept trying to sit in my lap during easy pose, so it's possible I didn't notice it because I was distracted. I did notice the music came on much earlier than I originally thought, but it is still bland yoga-spa music.

I like the cardio section much better this time around. No, still don't care for the music, but I'm able to flow a little better with Teigh and found it was just enough cardio to give me a boost without tiring me out. It was also a welcome change from Denise Austin and the constant TIFT of Fit & Firm Pregnancy.

Still love the arm section. I used 2 pound weights this time and it was just as hard if not harder.
Old 08-17-10, 03:41 PM  
moonbeam31

anyone have YBB Bollywood Live? I have it and have not tried it yet. It looks kinda fun and that drummer dude is the same guy from Crunch Fat Burning/Burn and Firm Pilates-Ellen Barrett and Mari Winsor fat Burning workouts!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 03:45 PM  
sherry7899

I think I have Bollywood live (you know you have too much when you're not sure what you own!) I haven't tried it yet either if I do have it. I'll try post if I try it.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 05:03 PM  
Eibhinn

First off - congrats on the second baby F1mom! I must admit seeing the adorableness in your avatar has made me rethink my "never gonna happen" stance re: having my own on a number of occasions. Also nice to see you having a happy and healthy pregnancy at 40 (that's what you said in another thread, no?) because as an academic that's the most likely timeline for me.

Regarding YBB and Bollywood - I have the Body Sculpting Bollywood Style workout from the Live series. It's pretty fun - I like the dance moves from it the most of all of the Lives (Cabaret and Latin are a tied for a close second). The strength work in Bollywood uses a band. When I first got it I didn't have one so I used tubing with handles on the end, just grasping the tubing. It was a bit annoying to have the handles banging around on my forearms, but worked well otherwise. I purchased some bands to try with it, but realized that most of the bands available for purchase are too short to do the workout with. I ended up buying a longer one by-the-foot at a pharmacy with physio supplies - it needs to be about 5 feet long. However, after all that when I finally did the workout with the long band, I found it slipped around and dug into my arms during several of the moves, and that the tubing was actually a far better choice in the end, even with banging handles (and even though the workout wasn't designed for them!).
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 05:36 PM  
F1mom

I've modified YBB Bollywood for pregnancy and right now it's HARD for me. The cardio really gets my HR up there and I take it easy by the time I get to the sculpting.

I have the green BB band and the purple one came with the set. I'll admit being a little rusty with the band but it does give a good workout, especially if you use heavier resistance.
Old 08-17-10, 05:42 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
First off - congrats on the second baby F1mom! I must admit seeing the adorableness in your avatar has made me rethink my "never gonna happen" stance re: having my own on a number of occasions. Also nice to see you having a happy and healthy pregnancy at 40 (that's what you said in another thread, no?) because as an academic that's the most likely timeline for me.
Thanks so much! Yes, the little guy has definitely changed our lives, for the better.

I put the healthy pregnancy down to my vidiot habit and mostly clean eating. My mother had the worst time having me at 35 back in 1970 when they told her to switch to menthol cigarettes as a health measure () and I was determined to follow a better path. I hadn't intended to wait this long to start a family, but I had to find a better DH than the first one.
Old 08-17-10, 05:51 PM  
eastblvd

This sounds great -- I find I'm much too tired for my "regular workouts".

Did you find clips online at all? Where did you purchase?

Thanks!
eastblvd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby on the way, pregnancy, prenatal, prenatal workouts, yoga booty ballet