Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-10, 08:58 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Yoga Booty Ballet: Baby on the Way

I just finished previewing Teigh's Baby on the Way workout and thought I'd post a breakdown of it, since I couldn't find much information on it before I bought it.

My impressions (again, based on preview only): I like all of the YBB workouts, so when I saw that they had come out with a prenatal workout between my last pregnancy and this one, I decided to give it a try. I think I'll enjoy this workout. It's definitely pretty gentle and low-key. If you're someone who can go all out (or even most of the way out) during pregnancy, then this workout will probably drive you crazy. If you're feeling tired and/or sick, though, or if you just can't imagine doing your pre-pregnancy workouts, then this might be a nice choice for staying somewhat active during the pregnancy. (For me personally, I think it will combine nicely with somewhat more intense upper body weight workouts and walking on the treadmill for cardio.)

Teigh is 32 weeks pregnant in the video and has two background exercisers who are 28 weeks. One of them shows modifications. Teigh uses 3 pound dumbbells, and suggests you use 1-4 pounds, maybe 5. You also may want a blanket or pillow to sit on at the beginning and use for relaxation at the end. The workout is about 37 minutes in all.

Warm up (12 minutes): Starts like other YBB workouts with setting an intention – this time a group intention: “I now connect more deeply to my baby and the sacred feminine while enjoying a nurturing workout.”

Warm up exercises seated in cross-legged position on floor: spinal flexion forward and back; circles; meditation for banishing doubt and fear/keep-up exercise – hold arms out to side with hands in fists, thumbs up, then move thumbs in towards shoulders and straighten arms back out; butterflies (bounce knees up and down); dynamic stretches (moving back and forth into the stretch) and static stretches for hamstrings, sides, shoulders; cat-cow

From cat-cow (all fours) position, do some leg lifts and circles on each side; Child’s pose with Kegels; Downward dog, alternate lowering heels all the way to floor; Standing in squat position – hip circles and big arm circles

Cardio (6 minutes): Typical YBB style with some familiar moves, but pretty low-key (and definitely low impact).

Weights (for shoulders, biceps, triceps) (7 minutes): 3 sets each of 3 pairs of exercises. Legs stay moving for the first 2 pairs, like a kind of mellow 4-limbed aerobics segment:
Lateral raise with step touch side to side
Bicep curls with heels forward
Repeat lateral raise and biceps 2 more times

Front raise with step touch side to side
Plie squats with rotator cuff exercise
Repeat 2 more times

Bent forward tricep kickbacks
Straight arm raises in same position
Repeat 2 more times
Yoga (8 minutes):
Warrior 2 leg position with archer arms, into side-angle pose, back up to archer arms, into triangle
Repeat on other side
“Pregnancy squats”: Inhale up while standing, squat all the way down, then straighten legs and roll up
Double pigeon

Final relaxation (3 minutes): Corpse pose on side, with blanket/pillow between legs
Sit back up and hold belly, repeating mantra three times to yourself: “I love my baby, I love myself, I am blessed.”

I hope this is useful to my fellow pregnant VFers!
KathyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:05 PM  
darthbeagle

Thanks so much for reviewing this! I almost bought this last time I was pregnant, but I ended up passing because I couldn't find any detailed information about it.
darthbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:24 PM  
F1mom

Thanks so much for this review. This workout came out shortly after I had DS, but I was thinking about buying it this pregnancy to give my Fit & Firm Pregnancy a much-needed break.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 04:00 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

F1mom - I just read your review of "The Perfect Pregnancy Workout" and saw that you had pubic bone problems in a previous pregnancy. I'm having that problem, too - it started fairly late in my first pregnancy but kicked in really early this time.

Anyway, it seems like the Perfect Pregnancy Workout was a good choice for you. What other DVDs or forms of exercise have you had success with during pregnancy? I'd love to hear your thoughts on dealing with this!

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 07-21-10, 04:34 PM  
F1mom

Oy, Kathy I'm sorry to read about the SPD. I'm also wondering if all the Leslie I did with #1 added to the problem since it was so repetitive. That and sitting for 10 hours a day at work along with 2.5 hours total in the car.

This pregnancy I'm trying to keep moving around a lot. Besides mall walking, I'm using Denise Austin's Fit & Firm Pregnancy a lot. The cardio section has you warm up with a lot of pelvic tilts and Kegels, and it forces you to adopt better posture.

The 2nd trimester toning section is helpful, too. It keeps my stomach muscles lifting the weight of the baby instead of letting it rest on my pelvic bone. I'm staying away from floor work and sticking with standing leg/bun work like stationary lunges and squats.

I also just discovered 10 Minute Solution Pilates for Pregnancy. The Core Pilates section is awesome. I'm not able to do the entire 50 minute workout in one fell swoop but I love that I can pick and choose sections.

I'm avoiding yoga because I had my first real attack of SPD after finishing Gurmukh's pregnancy yoga DVD, so I try to avoid doing any seated stretches and focus on standing work instead.

I hope you feel better.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 09:59 AM  
lorajc

where is this available? Is it good if you are NOT pregnant?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 06:27 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
where is this available? Is it good if you are NOT pregnant?
I got it from totalfitnessdvds.net, though I imagine you can order directly from Beach Body, too.

I think it has a fair amount of pregnancy talk, so it might be irritating if you're not pregnant. It's probably along the lines of the YBB Live Light & Easy workout and/or the YBB Masters A.M. Latte. It's definitely lower intensity than their other workouts.

Oh, and it's only Teigh teaching, so you might also miss the interaction between Teigh and Jillian if you're used to the regular YBBs.

Tags
pregnancy, prenatal, ybb, yoga booty ballet