Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-09, 08:40 PM  
antbuko

Personally, I did not click with Joyce because I do need form reminders and demonstration of good form by the instructor. That is not one of Joyce's strengths.

If you take the time to read the Everything Joyce thread, I think you will find very results driven posts, more so than any other instructor, even Cathe. That is not to say that Joyce's workouts are superior to Cathe's, but there is a lot of testimonial to the effectiveness of her workouts.
Old 09-30-09, 10:28 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

also to answer the question about longer workouts - I add on a short cardio workout after most of JV's workouts. But Fat Burning runs 40 min. (upper or lower) BUG+ runs about 50 min upper or lower+back. I find her lower body work effective, so even if others say it's easy...

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 02:12 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Yeah, who is the VFer in the Cougar workout? I just got that one.

I have a lot of Joyce's workouts. I don't have any of her cardio ones, but I think I have all of her weight ones.

She isn't for everyone. She is quite goofy and makes innane remarks ("they'll have to call the fire department when I go to the beach!!!")

Joyce was my first introduction to the pyramid system and that is still my favorite way to lift. I have other weight workouts/instructors that use the pyramid method, but Joyce was the first for me.

I agree that the Definition series is too fast. In general Joyce DOES go to fast. The workouts with her daughter Martha counting tend to go more slowly. I've only done Cougar once, and someone else (not Martha) is counting, but that is fast too.

I like the way she mixes up the pyramiding in her different workouts. She will do giant sets, super sets, sometimes she will have like 10 or 12 upper body exercises for the workout and run through the entire thing for 12 reps at your heaviest poundage, then start over for 10 reps at medium, 8 reps at heaviest, then pyramid back up, and you're done!

Anyway, when I do Joyce, I'll do her for a month or two.

Barbara p
Old 10-01-09, 02:54 PM  
Mandy

The VF'er is Maureen! I have blog and wrote a review:

http://aerobicgirl-homefitness.blogs...r-workout.html
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 06:25 PM  
Janga

She also says, "Call the police" and "it isn't a game" a lot. :lol:

I also like the ones where Martha counts and on some of the faster (and older) workouts, I end up pausing the DVD now and then to get into position because she simply is moving it along too fast. Sometimes I just ignore the pyramids and do the whole thing with one set of weights, plus use ankle weights for some of the lower body stuff instead of trying to change weights, shove a dumbbell between my ankles, get into position and catch up with her in the 15 second "rest" period.

But I still think she's fun and I do get a good workout when I do her, which is at least once a week.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 11:55 AM  
Whimzee

I have Joyce's older DVD, Slow and Steady 1234 Total Body Workout. Does anyone know how this differs from Slow Duet with her daughter?
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 01:16 PM  
lindseylu8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
The VF'er is Maureen! I have blog and wrote a review:

http://aerobicgirl-homefitness.blogs...r-workout.html
thanks Mandy!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:40 AM  
tjenner

Love Joyce

I love her workouts - some better than others of course. I was doing the Fat Burning workout 1 but switched to Bottoms Up which I like better because it doesn't go so fast and you can use heavier weights, therefore increasing your intensity. Also Marthe is in this one and she does the counting unlike Fat Burning where Joyce tends to mess up the counting quite a lot! It's also a newer one so the clothing and hair are more modern if that bugs you. I just ordered the Cougar DVD so cannot comment on that one yet.

I tend to like the ones that do the modified pyramid better like these 2. The full pyramid seems like it takes forever but that's just me.

And yes, some people cannot handle her over the top personality. She's pretty silly at times and I think she's funny myself. And, yes, sometimes her form is lacking but if you get her books and know the correct form beforehand then you know how to do the exercises properly. I like to follow someone on the screen because it is more fun but the books make a great reference guide.

Hope that helps!
tjenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar workout, dynamic tension, joyce vedral, joyce vedral beginners, joyce vedral fat burning, slow weights