Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-09, 10:06 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Heart Rate zone training

I am having surgery next week and when I start back exercising, I am contemplating exercising using my heart rate monitor to stay within the "zone" as I regain my fitness. I wear my HRM a lot to see how many calories I've burned. For dvds, I usually stay in the training zone, but for hiking and running, I'm either above or below the zone. I know some runners who have had great success with this method, but am not sure I fully understand it. My HRM automatically sets a 65-80% zone, I think but I can manually reset it.

I do know my accurate maximum heart rate which should help.

anyone done this successfully?
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 03:40 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Sally Edwards and Joe Friel have books out on Heart Rate training. I've read the book by Friel and this white paper by Edwards:

http://www.heartzones.com/_pdf/FatBu...posted8305.pdf

I found them both to useful in finding "my" zones and determining how high my heart rate should be for each zone.

HTH,
Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 04:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ditto on the sally edwards (kathy - thanks for the Friel reference - i'll go read his too).

another really good author on the subject is Philip Maffetone. i was able to borrow maffetone's and sally's book from our public library.

several VFers have had excellent results with ABB and have posted about it here. if you type in ABB* or Aerobic Base Building as the search terms, you will find good info here.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 06:41 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Thanks. I do have Sally Edwards book, but wasn't familiar with the other two authors so will watch for them.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, aerobic base building