Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the economy affecting your fitness purchasing?
Yes; I've stopped most or all purchasing. 99 35.48%
No, it hasn't affected my purchasing at all. 76 27.24%
It has had a slight or minimal effect on my purchasing. 90 32.26%
Other 14 5.02%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-10, 02:32 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Definitely! I was already cutting back, but then got laid off last month so I've been rediscovering the Tae Bo workouts I already own and burned out on years ago. I've made one purchase lately: Turbo Jam Punch, Kick & Jam as a reward for getting paid for some freelance work. (Normally I would've bought all 3 TJ workouts on my wishlist instead of choosing just one for now.)

All this extra time on my hands is great though for motivating me to actually workout, so there is a silver lining

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 07:47 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

we have all had some tough times on top of a tough economy. my dh and i have lived pretty conservatively over the years. he was laid off before he became ill so i started cutting back on things then. started taking lunches to work and we stopped eating out except for a few times a month. i definitely cut back on purchases in general (clothing, etc). then he got ill and the economy went south. i have still bought my fitness dvds, but definitely more well thought out and less "sets". wishing good thoughts and better situations for everyone.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 09:04 PM  
zumzum

I wonder if we'll still be answering this poll in a year. Hope not.

I've been lucky and work in a position where I'm unlikely to be cut, but the shape of the economy makes me value being frugal more and has made me commit to being more mindful about what I buy, including workout DVDs.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 09:13 PM  
ldy_solana

economy aside the weather has killed me. i work at a school kitchen and when there is no school i don't work. my job hasn't allowed us to use collected sick time to make up for the loss so i may have work 4-5 weeks the last 3 months. i didn't get a great tax refund either. i did purchase some dvds but nothing high dollar(no cathe or anything like that). i do have a great collection and have been able to trade so that helps curb my spending a bit. doing a lot more on my own via books and magazines too. we still have our ymca membership and that gets the whole family in it too. it seems when i don't make it to the gym is when i get the itch for a dvd but when i am at the gym i don't get to involved in dvds other then dance and barre stuff.

maybe its me and being hit with higher electric bills this year(then ever before) but i see this getting worse then it was when this poll was first started. i hope its just a small bump and things get easier soon.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:43 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Kassia, I agree with you that it is worse than when this poll started back in 2008. Many have been experiencing loss of jobs, declining work opportunities, higher energy costs, higher taxes of all kinds, higher bills for groceries and other necessities on top of practically no interest whatsoever on savings accounts, and all kinds of outrageous fees and interest rates on credit cards. These are stressful times for a lot of people. Thank goodness for exercise. Exercise is the best way to keep sane and calm during this storm.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:45 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe View Post
Kassia, I agree with you that it is worse than when this poll started back in 2008. Many have been experiencing loss of jobs, declining work opportunities, higher energy costs, higher taxes of all kinds, higher bills for groceries and other necessities on top of practically no interest whatsoever on savings accounts, and all kinds of outrageous fees and interest rates on credit cards. These are stressful times for a lot of people. Thank goodness for exercise. Exercise is the best way to keep sane and calm during this storm.

I can't remember how I voted before, but after doing some number-crunching about my retirement options, I'm changing my vote to "yes". I won't be able to retire as soon as I like - but I'm looking forward to a very fit retirement!

Here's hoping that better times are ahead for those of us who have been affected by the economy.

Tags
poll, purchase control