Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls

View Poll Results: Is the economy affecting your fitness purchasing?
Yes; I've stopped most or all purchasing. 99 35.48%
No, it hasn't affected my purchasing at all. 76 27.24%
It has had a slight or minimal effect on my purchasing. 90 32.26%
Other 14 5.02%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-08, 09:39 PM  
sjazz78

I had reached a saturation point with my purchaces about 6 months ago and decided to slow down .
It wasn't easy but after I took inventory of my workouts, I had to be honest and admit that quite a few of them I hadn't done as often as I should if at all.
I then put on the brakes and made myself use what I had first. It was then that I realized I had enough to fit my needs for a while or atleast until my finances start looking better. (Or something really unique comes along)
sjazz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 07:05 PM  
annetteb

I wish I could afford but I have to trade or sale.
Old 11-10-08, 07:53 PM  
ooty

I voted "Other" because the economy has not directly affected my finances. But other life situations have... unexpected expenses... so currently cash strapped. And I really wish I hadn't got some DVDs which I never use.. eg. .Insight Yoga, All the right moves, Classical Stretch and a few more... I paid a pretty penny for these too

I badly want Sage Rountree Yoga for athletes, but I cannot justify buying it. I feel extremely guilty about the bad choices i have made earlier.

May be I can trade some of those DVDs.

ETA: I am normally a careful spender, I got carried away with those DVDs.

Lexus... I am so sorry to hear that. I kind of feel the pinch because our 529 took a hit and my son is a freshman. But, I think it is sad to be near retirement and to have to face this.. reminds me of the ENRON failure.. so many people were affected.
Old 04-29-09, 05:33 PM  
new2me

I'd already stopped buying workouts before the economy got so bad, so I guess it hasn't affected it much, but I am about to buy some, so I picked "it hasn't affect it"

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 08:31 PM  
kathy12
VF Supporter

I've cut back on all my spending everywhere. DH got laid off in October so we have a lot less money now. I try to trade for stuff instead of buying. I'd love to get CLX but can't shell out $200 for it at all. Ah, I miss the old days.
kathy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 04:41 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

mine hasn't - i feel really guilty. in general, i tend to be frugal (public transporation to work, bring lunch every day to work, downsized insurance last year before the huge stock market implosion, etc.).

however, i have been donating more to charity, be it money and/or in goods. i've also been selling off stuff if possible (ebay, etc.). in june, our company is having a flea market, and my co-worker and i are considering getting a booth together. the booth fees will go to the aloha united way.

as far as workouts, i'm always behind the crowd. the only bandwagon i jumped on recently was clx, and i got it used on yaya's. but my decisions to not buy had more to do with disinterest (sts, barry's, target leslie's, etc.)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 06:56 AM  
bubbles76

I voted slight affect. I am not spending AS MUCH on workouts, but I still treat myself now and then. Plus, I'm still trading pretty regularly. Most of my trading and spending money now goes towards bellydance classes. So I guess the focus has just shifted. BUT, I'm not doing my Ross or TJ Maxx impulse buys, nor am I making deepdiscount rich In fact, I think I have bought three DVDs this YEAR. That doesn't include birthday money, credit card rewards points money, or best buy rewards money. That's mad money to me I do plan on buying one bellydance DVD though.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 04:02 PM  
GotToBeFit

I realized I had way too many workouts collecting dust so, I've sold a lot of unwanted stuff on amazon. I had sts preordered and then cancelled. I don't budget for stuff I want, but I do try to take a breathe now before deciding. I got meso 1 at a bargain on yaya. I'm not sure I want meso 2 and definitely am not interested in meso 3. Someone posted gin miller's workout for 2.99. I almost jumped on it without even seeing it, but I took a breathe and convinced myself not to get it. Well then someone posted a video link and then I got it. So, I take a little more care in purchases these days.
Old 02-26-10, 04:18 PM  
imhere2dance

Luckily it hasn't affected me. I buy way too much! LOL
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 01:38 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

It's hard to believe that I started this poll back in 2008, and we are still in a really tough economy in 2010. I wonder how long it will take for the economy to recover. My guess is at least 3 more years. My response is still the same as it was in 2008.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll, purchase control