Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the economy affecting your fitness purchasing?
Yes; I've stopped most or all purchasing. 99 35.48%
No, it hasn't affected my purchasing at all. 76 27.24%
It has had a slight or minimal effect on my purchasing. 90 32.26%
Other 14 5.02%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-08, 12:12 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Is the economy affecting your fitness purchases?

I have cut way back in unnecessary purchases, which includes buying fitness-related items. I already ordered STS months ago, but if the pre-order was starting now, I would not be ordering it.

Has the current state of the economy affected your fitness purchasing decisions?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 07:19 AM  
PhyllisG

I agree with Abbe. I already ordered and paid for STS and I am glad because I would have a hard time justifying a purchase of that amount now. I have been tempted by other workouts but passed. The only other one I will probably buy is the Leslie Dec release. Chalene Extreme will have to wait until next year--after I have seen clips, read reviews and gotten a price. We are self employed and right now sales are way down for us.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 07:42 AM  
Erica H.

My DH was just laid off. I've been a SAHM for almost 18 years (my youngest just started first grade). I'm not buying anything and will cancel my STS pre-order if DH doesn't get a new job before STS is delivered. With the state of the economy, it doesn't seem likely that he will get a new job by then.

ETA - We also cancelled our family YMCA membership.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 07:59 AM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Erica, I'm so sorry to hear the news about your husband. I hope he is able to find work soon.

I voted other. My fitness purchases are like every other retail item these days. There's a lot more forethought before purchasing. Just kind of hunkering down & waiting for sales. I bought two dvds & took advantage of the Champion bra sale & that's pretty much been it this summer. I must admit after trying NROL4W exercise dvd's don't call to me as much these days. With the state of the economy that's a good thing.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 08:27 AM  
ldy_solana

i am on a nearly NO fitness buying spree(this include magazines and books). maybe around b-day i will treat myself to another amy or cathe but for the meantime my money has to saved on a raining day or put towards something for the house(usually a bill LOL). dh and i worked very very hard for our dream of a first home and will are going to great lengths to keep it that way(as long as these taxes don't go crazy). he is working another job as well as odd jobs in security when he can get it and i am buying NO workouts and learning to work with what i have! with christmas around the corner we are being extra diligent so we can do something nice for the kids.

erica i believe you mentioned on another board about dh and i am so sorry to hear this. i hope things will work out for everybody soon, it just doesn't seem fair that so many hard working ppl are struggling.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 09:23 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldy_solana
erica i believe you mentioned on another board about dh and i am so sorry to hear this. i hope things will work out for everybody soon, it just doesn't seem fair that so many hard working ppl are struggling.
kassia
Thanks, Kassia - yes, I did mention the layoff on Cathe's forum. We're ok for now and just trying to take it day by day and keep things in perspective.

Kay, thanks for your kind words, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 09:35 AM  
Cowgirl32

Yes, being a college student, the state the economy's in is hitting my roommate and I hard. I'm struggling pay check to pay check now, -sigh-
Old 10-11-08, 09:41 AM  
Sissy B

The economy is definitely affecting my fitness purchases.

I have cancelled one preorder because it is not going to be the workout I was hoping for. In the past, I might would have said "Well it's only $10, it's worth taking a chance", but not anymore. I have too many $5-10 workouts that I never do but were "worth taking a chance" because they were relatively inexpensive. Unfortunately that $5-10 per workout adds up.

I'm also holding off on preordering another workout that I'm interested in until it comes out and some reviews are in.

Even before the economy started having problems I was already being much more selective with my purchases. Luckily for that reason there is not very much on my fitness wishlist.

Erica - I hope you DH finds another job soon.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 09:45 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

The economy is affecting my LIFE! We have plans to retire in another year or two and our investments are now worth 2/3rds of what they were a few months ago. Very depressing.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 09:46 AM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B
Unfortunately that $5-10 per workout adds up.

~Sissy B
this was my issue. esp. bi-weekly pay day visits to ross. instead of saving up to buy a cathe,amy, or whatever not in store dvds, i went overboard on ross,tj maxx, and kmart b/c they were "cheap".now i have hit some winners this way but more or less i either traded or gave away many of those workouts now. even thrift store purchases ended up being given away. although most i have kept .

when i got my house i gave up netflix but that was the best $20 a month i ever spent for 4 years!!! i got to try new workouts and found some i though i would like i wouldn't never do in a million years and found that out by not buying them. maybe one day i will get my netflix back.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll, purchase control