Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-07, 12:11 PM  
Gams

There's the other side of the coin, too - Hollywood has us believing that if you are 5'5" and over 105 pounds you're overweight, which isn't always very accurate, either.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 12:46 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams
There's the other side of the coin, too - Hollywood has us believing that if you are 5'5" and over 105 pounds you're overweight, which isn't always very accurate, either.
Actually, if you're only 5'5" you're freakishly short and Hollywood has no idea what to do with you. (Sorry, I'm 5'1" and this -- not being 5'1", but the Hollywood thing -- is a sore point with me.)

You make a great point here though, and NOT unrelated nor opposite to Michelle's: Hollywood's, and the fashion industry's, idea of what our bodies SHOULD look like is so clearly unrealistic that we are losing our ability to judge what IS reasonable and healthy. Kids don't have good role models of healthy-looking people, you know? (Except for athletes, maybe -- but those are often extreme physiques of a different sort, not always what a nonathletic kid should/could realistically aspire to.) You see Nicole Richie, you see the Before shots on the Biggest Loser, you don't see much in between.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 01:30 PM  
MichelleRN

Oh I agree about the Hollywood nuts, but realistically, when I look at the local schools, out of 600, maybe 2 are dangerously thin and I think, media or no, eating disorders are a manifestation of something far more than Hollywood influence don't ya think....WAY WAY more are disturbingly FAT, not just a little overweight....not that they should be made fun of or anything - God, that is horrible, but its a huge concern with teens in random blood checks having cholesterol way over 200....
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 01:34 PM  
MichelleRN

Actually, if you're only 5'5" you're freakishly short

Hey! In my family,women dominated (the men,except for my hubby,are either dead or run off,) - they are a long line of gnome sized big mouths....I am the tall one!!! I PROJECT 5'10 and have size 9 feet! You'll never see me fall in the wind! At 5'1, you are considered quite statuesque in our family!
Old 12-10-07, 01:36 PM  
F1mom

susanp, I think your assertion is correct. Even though I'm not quite in my 40s, I found the longer, more moderate Project You workouts everyday caused greater fat loss than the somewhat shorter, more intense FIRM 90 Day rotation workouts.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 02:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

both ABB and HIIT have worked for me as far as losing weight.

i also use a HRM when doing weights or step aerobics w/ABB because it is so easy to go anaerobic. a HRM allows you to quickly lower the intensity. also, i am not the type that wears my HRM 24-7.

lately, i have mostly been doing low to moderate intensity and when i want to do something intense, i am not gasping for air. my morning RHR is low too, so that's good.

as always, the bottom line is changing it up every so often.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 05:42 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleRN
when I look at the local schools, out of 600, maybe 2 are dangerously thin and I think, media or no, eating disorders are a manifestation of something far more than Hollywood influence....WAY WAY more are disturbingly FAT, not just a little overweight... its a huge concern with teens in random blood checks having cholesterol way over 200....
Exactly. Shaq's TV show with those kids was a shocker -- 50% fat some of them. I live near a school and seldom see anorexic kids, but plenty of fat ones.
Old 12-10-07, 07:01 PM  
Gams

I guess my point was not whether more people are overweight or more are underweight, just that it's hard to recognize anyone who is a "normal" weight anymore because there do seem to be so many "overweight" people in real life and "underweight" people on the silver screen.

And as for the topic of this thread, I'm afriad the midlife fat cell is smarter than I am...
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 07:38 PM  
behaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
Exactly. Shaq's TV show with those kids was a shocker -- 50% fat some of them. I live near a school and seldom see anorexic kids, but plenty of fat ones.
I'm not sure anorexia is visible. Its symptoms may be -- but, in my experience, someone is near death before the significance of her disease is obvious to a casual observer.
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 07:56 PM  
MichelleRN

Oh I dunno about that, anytime I see anyone on the leaner side of thin, nowadays we always assume they are anorexic! And I see hundreds of patients a year, and have YET to see ONE with complications of anorexia OR bulimia, but obesity keeps me employed full time!

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, bfl, body for life, periodization system, walking